Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

August 6th, 2018 17:00

XPS 8900, BD-RW drive not reading

I've had an XPS 8900 with BD-RW drive for almost 2 years.  I am running Windows 10 Enterprise and have created home movies with a video editing suite installed.  I now want to burn a copy of the mp4 onto blank DVDs.  

The BD-RW drive will not recognize or read discs with existing content on them, despite purchasing the CyberLink PowerDVD and other tools.  What further steps are required to ensure I have a seamless experience burning DVDs and BluRay discs on this system?

3 Posts

August 7th, 2018 10:00

Agreed.  I've reinstalled Premiere Pro and upgraded the project to the 2018 CC version of this platform.  However, the root cause seems to be that the drive is not reading disc contents.  Not sure if I need a driver update, or something else?

8 Wizard

• 

17K Posts

August 6th, 2018 19:00

The optical drive should be able to see files on the disc with Windows Explorer ... whether you have a compatible (video decoding) player software installed or not. 

If you can't even read discs, I would not even try to burn one.

A good free Burner is ImgBurn .

4 Operator

• 

20.1K Posts

August 7th, 2018 09:00

The video editing software that created the recordings needs to be installed and used if possible. 

3 Posts

August 7th, 2018 09:00

So, the optical drive is listed and assigned a drive letter.  However, when I insert a disc, the drive does not read the contents under Windows Explorer or other programs.  Are there updated drivers that I need to install, or is this another unrelated issue?

8 Wizard

• 

17K Posts

August 7th, 2018 10:00

@webdbapps wrote:

1. So, the optical drive is listed and assigned a drive letter. 

2. However, when I insert a disc, the drive does not read the contents under Windows Explorer or other programs. 

3. Are there updated drivers that I need to install, or is this another unrelated issue?

1. That just means the optical drive's controller can be found. It does not check the laser or its ability to read/write.

2. Sounds like a bad drive. I've even seen them die after periods of non-use.

3. All drivers required for reading files on a CD/DVD are already included in Windows-10 64bit. They come from the local driver cache and/or Windows Update.

9 Legend

• 

47K Posts

August 7th, 2018 11:00

1.  Region code on the drive will need to be set once with a DVD and once with a BD Movie.

2.  Versions of Cyberlink Power DVD lower than 12.XX are no longer supported.

3.  Blueray Media will need cypher key updates which is why Cyberlink Power DVD needs to be online in order to download updated firmware and key for the BDDRIVE.

Windows 8 and 10 do not have DVD playback software anymore.  You cannot use older versions of Cyberlink 8, 9, 10 , 11.  They are EOL.

Current version is 18 and versions lower than 12.xx WILL NOT WORK.

Note: These patches are not for Windows XP or Vista platforms, PowerDVD Live subscribers, or OEM versions.

https://www.cyberlink.com/support/powerdvd-ultra/patches_en_US.html

8 Wizard

• 

17K Posts

August 7th, 2018 12:00

I came-across this old thread (while searching for something else). Anyway, I thought it had some good trouble-shooting steps:

https://dell.com/community/Alienware-Desktops/Aurora-ALX-DVD-drive-not-reading-media/td-p/6106527

No Events found!