8 Krypton

XPS 8900, BIOS 2.2.1

Dell has a list of BIOS updates (and dates they expect to be releasing BIOS updates) here. These updates are to counter Intel's Meltdown and Spectre problem. I have an  XPS 8900, and there's a new BIOS for it listed there, version 2.2.1. I've updated BIOS before and never had a problem. 'm not sure if I should update to 2.2.1, though, partly because of the message here. The poster had an XPS 8900 that was "rendered unusable" by the new BIOS. The last message written there, by RoHe, says partly "So even if you get an update from Dell for Spectre and Meltdown, you will still need a BIOS update from Dell for the ME issue, but if it were me, I'd hold off on flashing BIOS 2.2.1, at least for now".

Has anyone with an XPS 8900 updated their BIOS to version 2.2.1? If you did, was it a smooth update, or did you have problems?

0 Kudos
27 Replies
lgrullon
1 Copper

Re: BIOS 2.2.1 for XPS 8900

I am having an nightmare after upgrading the BIOS to 2.2.1 in my XPS 8900. What Dell is doing to us is a travesty, I call them to request a full refund or a motherboard replacement and this was their response:

Respond to Complaint

Thank you for providing a copy of the customer’s submission. Mr. XXXXX expressed dissatisfaction with Dell service and support and wants a refund or an on-site technician to replace his motherboard due to a BIOS update. We regret any dissatisfaction he may have experienced and appreciate the feedback provided. Dell has a thirty (30) day return period and, as the order invoiced during 2016, a return for a refund would not be an option. Since the date of the submission, a Dell representative contacted Mr. XXXXX to discuss his concerns. The representative verified with an internal Dell team that there were no known issues with Mr. XXXXXX computer and that a BIOS update cannot be the cause for a motherboard failure. As Mr. XXXXX one year warranty expired five months ago, our representative offered support via Dell’s fee-based Out of Warranty Repairs representatives which Mr. XXXXXX declined. We ask that he contact our representative should there be any further questions regarding this matter. 

Dell destroys our computers and now they want us to paid for support? This is a travesty.

"The representative verified with an internal Dell team that there were no known issues with Mr. XXXXXX computer and that a BIOS update cannot be the cause for a motherboard failure."

That statement is indeed incorrect.  BIOS updates can and are very much a cause of a motherboard failure.  I would continue to purse this issue further with a higher tiered Dell representative.  Because if the Dell supplied BIOS update did brick your system they do owe you new motherboard.<Incorrect for out of warranty customers. Read this.>  A word of caution is never apply any BIOS update unless it is necessary and only after the BIOS update has been out for at least 30 days.  That way any issues that arise from the updates will be sorted out.  Never ever grab the latest BIOS or any other sort of updates when they are first issued as a precautionary step wait at least a minimum of 2-3 weeks.

0 Kudos
8 Krypton

@GamerdudeForever wrote:

A word of caution is never apply any BIOS update unless it is necessary and only after the BIOS update has been out for at least 30 days.  That way any issues that arise from the updates will be sorted out.  Never ever grab the latest BIOS or any other sort of updates when they are first issued as a precautionary step wait at least a minimum of 2-3 weeks.

On the drivers & downloads page for XPS 8900, the 2.2.1 BIOS update is listed as being "Urgent". Release date is Dec. 22, 2017. After reading this message a couple weeks ago, I decided to wait awhile before installing the new BIOS. I'm glad I did. I wonder how many people installed this "urgent" BIOS and it killed their computer...

0 Kudos

As I was working on my XPS8900 (Win 10) Saturday morning, I got a Dell message about an urgent BIOS update.  Of course, that update left my system unbootable.  I'm shocked this morning to learn that this problem has been known for a month, and yet I was still prompted to update my system with this unstable update.  After two days of diagnosing the problem here is what I have found:

Removing the CMOS battery and plugging the system back in causes it to try to boot.  After starting and stopping on its own 4 times, on the 5th try the keyboard is recognized and the BIOS screen comes up.  It will start and stop itself two more times then boot into Win 10, where everything seems to work normally except that it won't recognize my PIN.  When I do a shutdown, it closes Windows but the machine doesn't power down.  If I do a hard shutdown the power goes off, then comes back on its own.  So far I can get back in as long as I disconnect the power, remove the battery, re-connect the power, and wait through the 7 reboot attempts.

Frustrating!

0 Kudos

Latest Update:  The system is now completely dead.  It won't power up at all.  Loading 2.2.1 crippled the machine immediately .  Two days later it is dead.

And the latest:  Since yesterday Dell has pulled the 2.2.1 update from the support page.  Now the latest BIOS is listed as 2.1.10 dated August 2017.  For the sake of others I'm glad they did this, but I'm still left with a dead computer.

0 Kudos
DickXPS8900
1 Copper

Re: XPS 8900, BIOS 2.2.1

I must be one of the lucky ones.  I installed BIOS 2.2.1 on two XPS 8900s a few days ago and both are functioning normally.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Tower-Tech
1 Copper

I was running fine with 2.2.1
But when I got this "URGENT" notice to change to 2.1.10, and followed through with it.
All I get when I boot is the Blue Screen of Death with a Stop Code of INACCESSABLE BOOT DEVICE.

0 Kudos
bselff
6 Indium

Did Dell finally agree to replace the motherboard for free? I am fighting the same issue with them after proving they did indeed have issues with the XPS8900 and their BIOS update prior to sending me the "URGENT" message to update.

Bob

0 Kudos