Unsolved

K

2 Intern

• 

258 Posts

June 18th, 2019 12:00

XPS 8900 Extra Hard Drive SSD

Hi,

Wanted a SSD external drive to archive old HDD's on, but I can't get a straight answer about cloning to external drives (by way of 'docking stations'), so I thought I'd go down the internal drive route instead.

The idea is to clone half-a-dozen old drives onto a TB-sized SSD then load it into the 8900 as a secondary HDD. Then I can search the old drives, does this make sense please?

The old drives were pulled from old Dells of mine years ago, but they contain bits and pieces I'd like to re-acquaint myself with.

My XPS 8900 is running Windows 10.

Advice please - many thanks.

192 Posts

June 18th, 2019 13:00

I have 2 SSDs and a spinner in my 8900. Also multiple external drives and I can backup, retore and browse images on both internal and external without issue. I use Acronis mainly but have used Macrium also.

4 Operator

• 

3.2K Posts

June 18th, 2019 18:00

I assume you only want to archive the user created data. If the old drives are boot drives then you will be wasting a lot of space by cloning them because the clone will copy everything including the OS. It may be more work but I think you only want to archive the data you created. The OS and the installed programs on the old drives will probably be of no use.

No Events found!