Start a Conversation

Unsolved

M

27 Posts

October 24th, 2018 17:00

XPS 8900, WiFi signal strength

I've had my XPS 8900 up and running for over a week now. As I described on another thread, I added a 1Tb SSD and re-installed Windows 10 and performed all of the update. Things have been working well except my wifi signal strength (5G wifi network) AND throughput are much lower than the two computers that sit on either side of the XPS. One is an iMac and the other a Lenovo all in one running the same Windows 10. With an internet speed test these two machines always get about 75 Mbps download and 98 Mbps upload speeds and always have strong signals. No matter how I position the XPS (it's on the desktop behind my 38" monitor and the Lenovo is on the right and iMac on the left) the wifi signal strength is low and the speeds are 20Mbps upload and 34 Mbps download - SIGNIFICANTLY worse. I've tried turning, elevating, re-orienting, moving to the side. I've verified the last drivers. It is a Qualcomm QCA9377 802.11ac adapter running 12.0.0.714 driver (6/24/2018). It would be quite a challenge to go with Ethernet but this low connection speed is a killer. Any suggestions appreciated. Especially any insight on what the best orientation is with respect to the wifi/internet router (FIOS Quantum).

8 Wizard

• 

17K Posts

October 24th, 2018 19:00

With that kind of broadband service, I suggest a gigabit wire to the desk. Even just one wire (and then a final $35 5-port desktop gigabit Ethernet Switch) would work nicely.

27 Posts

October 25th, 2018 05:00

Understood but the routing of the wire through my home from the access point is not easy. I actually did a test last week and strung a wire down the hall way. The results were 20% slower than the wifi connected Mac and Lenovo so I did not pursue it. And this was a direct connect with no intermediate switch.

I'd need at least 75' of ethernet cable to route through the drop ceiling in the downstairs level. The access point sits in my living room on the far end of the house. The cable drops through a hole in the floor to the basement and then to the terminal from the curb. My office is at the furthest corner away from the access point with a kitchen (fridge) and pantry loaded with cans between. I'm surprised I get a good signal on the other 2 machines. There really is no better place for the access point so I'm stuck with dropping a cable through the floor, routing above a drop ceiling from below-including figuring out how to route around the central heating ductwork-and then up through a hole into my office. I've not found a source for 75'+ cable ready to go and given my experience last week I'm not sure if the cable was to blame or something else. It was a new 50' cable that I thought was CAT6 that I got from Amazon 2 years ago and never used.

27 Posts

October 25th, 2018 05:00

Yeah, ok. I just got out a magnifier and looked at the cable. It is a CAT5E. I also have a 50' beater CAT6 - this one is marked CAT6. Just as a sanity check I installed it just now. I'm seeing 100Mbps download and 110Mbps upload speeds. Looks like a google of 75' CAT6 turns up options. Given that I'm going to spend hours routing this, I want the best cable I can get. Any recommendations?

I also already have a gigabit TP-Link 5 port TL-SG105 that I use for a local setup to test 3D printers, etc. I can just re-purpose that for the switch.

27 Posts

October 25th, 2018 07:00

Perhaps there was something wrong with the new CAT5E cable I tried last week - read my summary above. It was much slower than the wifi connection (and the wifi connection on the mac and levano is quite respectable).

II have been using wifi for multiple years with the mac and lenovo and had no issues. The reason for this thread is that the new XPS 8900 wifi performance is horrible compared to the existing computers. And they are within 1-2' of each other and no amount of re-orienting, moving etc, the XPS improves the connection.

I'm going to go with a wired ethernet. I have the cable strung down the hall now and will work that way until the cable arrives tomorrow. My wife won't be too happy but "hey" you gotta do what you gotta do! I'm pitching the CAT5E cable.

4 Operator

• 

3.2K Posts

October 25th, 2018 07:00

Both Cat5 and Cat6 should be capable of 100 Mbps but I would go with Cat6 because it is more capable. There is not much difference in cost. Of course your performance will depend upon the quality of the connections and the limitations of networking equipment you are connecting.

If you have been using WiFi all this time you will probably not notice the difference between Cat5 and Cat6. The only advantage WiFi has is convenience; but wire offers the advantages of better speed, lower latency, and more reliable connections

10 Elder

• 

44.4K Posts

October 25th, 2018 11:00

Exactly what speeds are you measuring and how are you measuring WiFi signal strength?

Are you measuring actual download speeds from the net or are you comparing "link rate"?  Link rate is the speed at which a PC talks to the router over WiFi.  So you need to see how your link rates compare. If the XPS has a comparable link rate as the other PCs, then the issue isn't with the WiFi signal directly.

Are all these PCs on at the same time while measuring speed or is only the one being tested on? If your router supports QoS, it's possible the router is giving the XPS low QoS priority for internet traffic so it's going to be slower than other devices on your network with higher QoS.

Does your router support multiple channels on the 5 GHz frequency? If it does, you might want to change from the router's default 5 GHz channel to one that's less crowded (eg, has fewer other WiFi signals in you neighborhood, even though they're not on your network).  I changed the 5 GHz channel to 156 on my Netgear router because the default channel was too crowded and there's only one other 5 GHz network in my area on 156. You'd have to configure all your WiFi gadgets to use whatever new 5 GHz channel you choose.

Open the Windows 10 Power options screen. Identify the active power plan and click the link to change its settings. On new screen click "Additional options" link. And on the next screen, make sure the WiFi adapter is set to "maximum performance", and save the change. Also open Device Manager and double-click the entry for the WiFi adapter. Click it's Power Management tab and make sure the box "Allow PC to turn off..." is not checked. Exit Device Manager and reboot.

And what about installing an 'ac' WiFi range extender downstairs, close to your PCs? Get an extender that supports the same (or similar) link speeds as your router. And probably best to get one from the same manufacturer as your router to ensure compatibility...

EDIT: Also open the driver page for the XPS WiFi adapter in Device Manager, and copy down all the current settings. Then play with the settings to see if you can improve the speed.

You know what an unhappy wife will mean... :Wink:

4 Operator

• 

3.2K Posts

October 25th, 2018 11:00

There may be something wrong with your CAT5E cable; CAT5E specs should easily beat WiFi. In my opinion wired Ethernet is the way to go and better overall than WiFi. Like I said the only advantage of WiFi is convenience.

27 Posts

October 25th, 2018 18:00

Yeah, the CAT5E cable must be flawed in some way. It's in the recycle bin now.

I am comparing apples to apples. I do not have QOS and I am measuring speeds with an internet speed utility. Wifi signal strength is simply the indicator on the wifi connection in windows. It has "1 bar" compared to completely filled icons on my other machines. Testing 1 computer at a time with no other network traffic, etc. It isn't worth more effort, I'm going wired tomorrow.

8 Wizard

• 

17K Posts

October 25th, 2018 20:00

@mljhackney wrote:

I also already have a gigabit TP-Link 5 port TL-SG105 that I use for a local setup to test 3D printers, etc. I can just re-purpose that for the switch.

Right.

Normally, the modem, router, and NAS (or file servers) are in the same location.

So, a nice Gigabit Ethernet Switch becomes the "backbone". At that point, the router is just for getting to the Internet, WiFi, and managing the network.  

8 Wizard

• 

17K Posts

@mljhackney wrote:

1. The reason for this thread is that the new XPS 8900 wifi performance is horrible compared to the existing computers. And they are within 1-2' of each other and no amount of re-orienting, moving etc, the XPS improves the connection.

2. I'm going to go with a wired ethernet.

1. And you are welcome to play with WiFi cards, antennas, radio channels, etc. 

2. Good. With FIOS Quantum service ... I certainly would. At least to main office and also Home Theater.

8 Wizard

• 

17K Posts

@mljhackney wrote:

The results were 20% slower than the wifi connected Mac and Lenovo so I did not pursue it. And this was a direct connect with no intermediate switch.

Not sure what went wrong there. Are you testing all at speedtest.net ?

Are you connected to a gigabit port on the router?

The cable you run inside a residence (or business) it not the "stranded core" wire that patch-cords are made of.

You run "solid core" wire. Now-days ... CAT-6e or CAT-7. You "punch down" the ends on a patch-panel or keystone block. Then, you use short CAT-6e/CAT-7 patch-cords.

In a residence, I run at one least one wire to each room with a desk. Offices or media-center locations get 2 or more cables. In a residence, it's called "Structured Wiring" and usually includes RG-6 Coax runs as well. Analog phone (base station) uses spare ethernet wires. I only use WiFi for portable devices and laptops. 

CAT-6e/CAT-7 will handle local s-t-r-e-a-m-ing of high-bitrate 1080p files with DD/DTS/HD-Audio 7.2 audio (like .MKV or the file right off a Blu-Ray). Most WiFi can't do that without buffering or drop-outs. I haven't messed with 4K content much, but will be soon (and I think the LAN can handle it ). 

27 Posts

October 27th, 2018 18:00

The deed is done - wired ethernet to my office. Seeing 115MBPs up and download to internet speed test. Pretty nice and noticeable change. Thanks all.

10 Elder

• 

44.4K Posts

October 28th, 2018 15:00

:Yes:

No Events found!