Solved!

Go to Solution

1 Rookie

• 

258 Posts

July 4th, 2020 17:00

XPS 8900, clone/remove HDD to SSD?

Hi,

XPS 8900, Intel-Core i7-6700K, cpu 4.01GHz, RAM 16GB, 64 bit Windows 10 Home v.1903.

Just had a peek inside this desktop & realised it is running an antiquated disc drive ~ C-drive ~ HDD.

Can I remove this - clone it to a SSD - and just boot on the new solid drive please?

Also noticed a vast obstruction to the MOBO if I wanted to install a second drive, this huge piece of hardware covers completely the sata ports.

Many thanks.

1 Rookie

• 

3.2K Posts

July 13th, 2020 05:00

I don't recall you mentioning the size of your current HDD and the size of your new SSD. If your new SSD is larger, you may want to consider expanding the size of the C drive (OS partition). You can use 'Cloned Partition Properties' in Macrium Reflect to modify the size of each partition in the destination drive. If you clone the C partition and it is followed by another partition you will not be able to expand the C partition later.

1 Rookie

• 

258 Posts

July 13th, 2020 14:00

May I enquire as to the purpose of all these Captcha pop-ups please?

Are usernames & passwords insufficient for security purposes - if so, why bother with them at all - just use Captcha to verify that we are indeed "not robots" - ?

Many thanks.

1 Rookie

• 

258 Posts

July 13th, 2020 14:00

They are both 2TB, old one disc, new one SSD.

1 Rookie

• 

258 Posts

July 13th, 2020 15:00

Windows 10 Disk Management shows the C drive as all healthy, all blue, all partitions: no red sections.

Macrium shows the red sector.

There's no option to increase the capacity of the red sector in Macrium that I can see, by clicking on the red sector. When I click on 'analyze' I get a result 'healthy' for this sector.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Dear moderators & administrators, I hearby confirm that I am not a robot, please disengage your captcha pop-ups from virtually every single post I make, they are not making this thread any easier for me, I do not want to mess up this upgrade project.

Thank you.

1 Rookie

• 

3.2K Posts

In the past, there have been a few times this forum was flooded with posts that were obviously junk. I think this is an attempt to make that more difficult to do.

1 Rookie

• 

3.2K Posts

I don't think that the red color indicates that anything is bad about the partition; I think it is only Macrium color for that type of partition (in this case both your partition and the partition in the Macrium user guide are image partitions).

The option to change the size of the partition only occurs after you have selected that partition to clone and then in the destination disk you click on 'Cloned Partition Properties' to change the size (see page 142 of the User Guide). Clicking on the partition which I believe you did in the view of the Source disk will not allow you to change the size (because this is the original source of the partition you are trying to clone).

1 Rookie

• 

258 Posts

July 13th, 2020 16:00

Sorry - posts are crossing, probably while I am contending with Captcha.

There is nothing wrong with the C drive, it is mostly unused - will cone it to the SSD & update.

Thank you.

1 Rookie

• 

258 Posts

July 13th, 2020 16:00

There's another red box partition on page 520 of the Macrium guide.

https://updates.macrium.com/reflect/v7/user_guide/macrium_reflect_v7_2_user_guide.pdf

Still don't understand why these sections are in red? - colour of danger.

Windows 10 partition shows all blue - healthy.

Will clone the old C drive onto the new SSD.

1 Rookie

• 

258 Posts

July 14th, 2020 14:00

Okay,

Have successfully cloned the old C drive to new SSD 'J' Drive.

How do I swap my old C disc, boot-drive to the new SSD drive please?

Do I need to go into BIOS & select the SSD as the boot drive

or

Can I physically remove the old C disc drive, & allow the PC to boot off the SSD, by default?

Thanks.

1 Rookie

• 

258 Posts

July 14th, 2020 14:00

Sorry - I couldn't wait.

Took the blue 0-Sata cable off the old disc drive & plugged it into the new SSD - the 8900 booted on it.

1 Rookie

• 

3.2K Posts

July 15th, 2020 03:00

You did it correctly. Normally when cloning is completed you would shutdown the computer, disconnect the source drive, and connect the new drive. With a UEFI BIOS, if you leave both drives connected you would have to use the F12 Boot Menu to select the drive you wish to boot from. 

If you wish to use your old HDD as additional storage, you have to reinitialize the drive. If you connect it to a SATA port you will have to boot using the F!2 Boot Menu to boot from the SSD. After booting from the SSD, you can use DiskPart to reinitialize the drive. Here is the procedure: https://macrorit.com/partition-magic-manager/initialize-disk-gpt-mbr-from-cmd-diskpart.html

Be careful that you select the correct disk to reinitialize. The 'list disk' command will list your disk drives and the 'select disk' command selects the drive to initialize.

1 Rookie

• 

258 Posts

July 15th, 2020 07:00

Thanks, did not have to remove the GeForce bracket because one of the Sata ports ~ sata2 I think? - was available above it, just very fiddly to get the Sata plug plugged in. Will that GF bracket really come out by just removing it at the side of the pc - as shown in the manual - it is surely secured at the back of the case as well?

The old disc drive is still in there, minus Sata connection. I'd reformat it if I were to use it for storage.

No Events found!