Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

B

April 2nd, 2018 08:00

XPS 8900, did Dell sell me thewrong SSD?

I saw some contradictory info on what was required for a SSD to go on the motherboard of my Dell XPS 8900. I thought if I ordered from Dell (and paid a higher price) I would get the correct item.  I asked, via chat, if the VisionTek - Solid state drive - 512 GB - internal - M.2 2280 - SATA 6Gb/s - 128-bit AES, 256-bit AES (1) they sell would work of the motherboard and was told yes. I ordered it and it is on the way. Just for giggles, I asked Crucial what they had available and they emailed back to say they only have M.2 280 cards that are SATA and the 8900 has a M.2 PCIe slot. Now I am worried. Is the wrong board coming to me? Someone please help. I have a dying system HDD and want to replace it ASAP.

Thanks,

8 Wizard

• 

17K Posts

April 2nd, 2018 10:00

I just looked at XPS-8900 PDF manual on your behalf.

To me, the pictured "solid state drive" appears to be too short to be M.2-2280 form-factor. I guess since XPS-8900 is older, that appears to be mSATA instead. The other "Specs Manual" is un-clear and never specifies mSata or PCIe/NVMe.

I would not worry too much until you get your part, but NO ... it does not appear that a
- M.2 (2280 size/length) SSD
- with a PCIe Interface
- and using the NVMe protocol

... will work in the machine. I personally think it would have been easier to just buy a 2.5inch SATA SSD for it and be done.

Yeah, lots of confusion.

https://www.dell.com/community/Alienware-Desktops/Aurora-R7-Adding-additional-SSD-SATA-storage/td-p/5907131

35 Posts

April 2nd, 2018 14:00

I went for the motherboard option as I have filled all the drive bays.

Thanks for your effort.

No Events found!