Start a Conversation

Unsolved

K

2 Posts

March 26th, 2019 01:00

XPS 8910, No bootable media

Computer worked fine until last week. Now won’t boot into Windows. System has SSD (drive D) for OS and programmes, plus 2TB HDD. Have run thorough diagnostics and all hardware appears to be good. Initially, I could get to the dos commend prompt and could see the D drive and Windows files. I tried using legacy boot option to force boot from drive D, but drive D didn’t show as an option, when I switched back to UEFI, I get the no bootable media error message and can no-longer get to dos. Can someone point me to a process whereby I can get get the system running again? I’d rather not interfere with the HDD which has all my data on it! Thanks

4 Operator

• 

3.2K Posts

March 26th, 2019 05:00

Assuming you are running Windows 10, you could try using Microsoft's Media Creation Tool to create a bootable USB or DVD of your version of Windows 10 then booting it and using the repair option.

2 Posts

March 26th, 2019 06:00

I think the problem is that somehow the drive letters have got reversed. The SSD with the OS files should be drive C but is now mapped as drive D. If I try to do a repair, it will attempt to repair the current drive C, which is my data drive, originally drive D. So somehow I have to reconfigure the SSD back to drive C!

4 Operator

• 

3.2K Posts

March 26th, 2019 07:00

Make sure you SSD is connected to SATA0. Also, since your HDD is just a data drive you can disconnect the HDD before booting.

No Events found!