Start a Conversation

Unsolved

D

6 Posts

April 12th, 2020 22:00

XPS 8910, constant Blue Screens for months

Hello,

First of all I'm not the most tech-savvy and my memory isn't the best so my post will be lacking in details. It may not have enough for you to make a definite diagnosis and recommendation, so I just want to put this out there so you can ask me the questions you need to ask to point us in the right direction.

I've been getting a lot of BSODs on my Dell XPS 8910 that is about 3 years old. I had never opened it up or changed a thing inside before I started getting them randomly about a year ago. All this history might be irrelevant but in my mind, the more info the better, so here:

I don't remember exactly the error code was in the beginning, or whether I started getting them after any Windows/driver updates. But what I can remember is it was a lot of Kernel-Power Event ID 141 errors when I checked it in the Windows Event log. There were also System_Service_Exception errors. I updated drivers, updated BIOS, reinstalled Windows, and did every simple thing I could do but nothing worked. Trying to update Windows actually made it worse because there was a Windows update that couldn't install no matter how much or what method I tried, it would trigger BSODs when it tried to install. They got more and more frequent to the point that they were happening within 5 minutes of booting the computer, even if I didn't use the computer. Then I tried to use a Windows recovery media to reinstall Windows and repair startup, but that just made it worse. The BSODs would happen while the windows installation was happening or while booting to the WIndows installation media, and then it would become an endless cycle of booting, freezing, BSOD, reboot, freeze, BSOD, etc. and I couldn't boot at all.

So I took it to a repair service near me and they struggled but eventually were able to boot to a USB drive they had and perform a complete system reset. They did a full hardware scan along with it and found nothing wrong. That took care of the problem and I had no more BSODs until recently. In the past month I've been getting pretty much the same BSODs as before. I again made sure all device drivers are updated and Windows is completely updated. 

A lot of them were Kernel-Power errors and that might mean a faulty power supply so I bought a brand new power supply to test that theory. That didn't work one bit. I also got SYSTEM_SERVICE_EXCEPTION NTFS.sys errors so I thought it might be a bad hard drive. Just today I replaced it with an old hard drive that I know is perfectly fine, but because I don't know what I'm doing, when I booted up the PC it said no bootable device found. I adjusted the BIOS settings to boot to the HDD but it said no operating system found. So I created a Windows installation media from another PC and booted up to that. It seemed to work, but in the process of installing Windows from that I got a WHEA_UNCORRECTABLE error and BSOD. Now I get the WHEA_UNCORRECTABLE error every time I try to boot to my installation media.

I'm at a dead end and don't know what to do. It's definitely not the power supply, and I don't think it's the HDD either because I'm still getting BSODs with a different HDD. Is it the CPU? Is my computer trash? I'm worried I might have done something bad to it by messing around with it trying to fix it. 

I can try to go back to the original HDD to get a minidump file to post it (racing the impending BSOD), if you need it. I'm just scared of the possibility that it won't boot at all.

My specs are the normal Dell XPS 8910 specs, the one with the Intel i7-6700 and GTX 750Ti graphics card. I have never overclocked anything or changed components until the power supply this past month (I put the old one back in today, going to return the brand new one) and now the HDD.

Thanks for your patience in reading my long-winded story. As I said it's lacking in details so I'm anticipating being asked a bunch of really basic questions and slamming my head against the wall for not including those details in the post. I apologize in advance. So please, ask away...

9 Legend

• 

11.7K Posts

April 12th, 2020 23:00

try remove all ram sticks, gpu, hdd, ssd, and disconnect all usb and sata cables from motherboard, disconnect kb/mouse, insert only one ram stick in DIMM1, connect on board video port w monitor, try to boot from a bootable usb.  you want to see whether your motherboard, cpu, and only one ram stick can hold their own without crashing.  if still crashing, try the other ram stick one at a time.  if none works, try borrow a working ddr4 ram stick from someone. If still no joy, there could be a hardware issue w motherboard or cpu.

this is how I prepare a bootable usb https://www.dell.com/support/article/en-us/sln143196/how-to-create-a-bootable-usb-flash-drive-using-dell-diagnostic-deployment-package-dddp?lang=en

https://www.dell.com/support/manuals/us/en/04/xps-8910-desktop/xps-8910-desktop_servicemanual/system-board-components?guid=guid-09138897-cbe9-49c8-b4ba-9882357209cf&lang=en-us

6 Posts

April 13th, 2020 10:00

Thanks for your reply.

I tried disconnecting everything you mentioned and booting from my bootable WIndows installation USB. It booted up perfectly but once I clicked "repair my computer" or whatever it says, I got a BSOD. I think it was a Kernel_Security_Check_Failure. The second time I tried to boot it up it crashed with the classic WHEA_Uncorrectable BSOD before it could even get to the Windows installation. I've been switching around in the BIOS between Legacy boot and Secure UEFI, but I keep getting the same blue screens no matter what. The only thing I haven't tried is changing out the RAM stick, because I can't get my hands on another DDR4 at the moment. I may be able to get one tonight, so I'll let you know how that turns out. 

How likely do you think it is that RAM is the issue?

Also, I've been having another issue - I'm also having trouble disconnecting my keyboard and mouse and the USB connector on the motherboard, because sometimes when I boot up the PC it goes to the SupportAssist OS recovery because no HDD is connected, and I need to use the mouse/keyboard to exit from that. That's why I was fiddling around with the BIOS boot settings. I tried disabling the SupportAssist OS recovery in the BIOS, but it still happened. It seems like it only shows up when I disconnect the USB connector on the motherboard, so I haven't been able to completely boot without them being connected. Seems weird, it would be great if I could just disable SupportAssist completely

9 Legend

• 

11.7K Posts

April 13th, 2020 11:00

something is causing your system to be highly unstable.  In my experience a bad ram can do that.  This type of bad ram does not cause any beep or POST error.  I bought a refurbished laptop once w 2x4gb, one of the 4gb was bad like that.  I did not know that initially and I was very frustrated because it crashed every time clean install Win 10 was just starting and looking good.  I was afraid that motherboard or cpu had serious flaw.  After I took out both ram and tested w another ram I had, system became stable and has been working well and happy ever after.

10 Elder

• 

44.3K Posts

April 13th, 2020 11:00

You didn't mention the version of Windows. If it's Win 10, there was a recent (optional) updat that has been causing all kinds of problems, including BSODs at boot...

Did you mean Kernel-Power Event ID 41, rather than 141?  Kernel-Power Event ID 41 will get logged every time Windows crashes, eg, isn't shut down properly, so it's just reporting a problem, but it isn't the actual problem.

Messing around in BIOS without knowing what you're doing is not helpful. And installing RAM that may not have the right specs for this PC or a HDD from some other PC is not going to help either. Put the original HDD back in and connect it to the blue SATA port on the motherboard and to the PSU.

When was last time you replaced the motherboard battery?  I'd do that before doing anything else:

1. Power off, unplug
  2. Press/hold power button for ~15 sec
  3. Open case and remove motherboard battery (check Service Manual for details)
  4. Press/hold power button for ~30 sec
  5. Install fresh CR2032 3-volt coin cell battery, ~$2
  6. Close up and connect mouse, monitor and keyboard
  7. Reboot and immediately start tapping F2 to open BIOS setup
  8. Check to see how SATA Operation is set. It may be ATA or AHCI.
  9. If set to ATA, change to AHCI, save the change and exit setup...
  10. Reboot

What size USB stick did you use to create the Windows installation media? The MS site says to use an 8GB USB stick for Win 10, but that may actually be too small so you should try at least a 16-GB stick.

6 Posts

April 14th, 2020 09:00

It is Windows 10. I think I did install that update, so it may have made things worse, but now I have no way of getting into Windows to undo it.

Yes I did mean Event ID 41, sorry about that!

You're right, I may have made things worse by messing around in the BIOS. Thanks for the advice, I'll be more cautious about plugging in HDDs and RAMs without checking compatibility first.

After reading your post yesterday I went ahead and replaced the motherboard battery (for the first time on this PC) and it did absolutely nothing And I was using an 8 GB stick for the Windows installation media, so I upgraded to a 32 GB stick and it also won't boot. When booting it shows me the Dell screen, then it gets to the Windows screen and loads for a few seconds, then the screen goes blank for a few seconds before it (always) gives me a BSOD with WHEA_UNCORRECTABLE_ERROR. This even happens with the HDD unplugged.

I'm thinking now that it's either CPU, motherboard, or RAM, and I'm praying that it's the last one. How do you suggest testing the RAM? Where exactly should I get a replacement stick that's compatible with my PC to test it?

10 Elder

• 

44.3K Posts

April 14th, 2020 10:00

What color is power button when it won't boot? And is it steady or blinking? If blinking, count the blinks.

What color is the PSU status LED on rear of PC when it won't boot? What happens when you press the PSU BIST button above that LED?

How are you booting from the bootable USB stick? Is the stick connected to PC before you power the PC on? And do you immediately start tapping F12 when you power on to open the boot menu where you can select boot from USB on the menu?

What happens if you remove all RAM modules from the motherboard, close up and try to boot? Do you hear 2 or 4 beeps from the tower? If no beeps at all, that might suggest a motherboard failure...

6 Posts

April 14th, 2020 13:00

The power button is the normal light bluish color and it stays steady all throughout, never blinks.

The PSU status LED is green. When the computer is on/booting, pressing the BIST button does nothing. When the computer is off, when I hold the button for a second my PC fans start moving and the LED turns green.

I initially disabled secure boot in the BIOS and switched from UEFI to Legacy and moved the USB to the top of the boot order to be able to boot to it (without having to select it in the F12 boot menu). It’s still that way in the settings. I haven’t really tried using the F12 menu.

I just tried to boot to the USB without having an HDD plugged in, and it actually did work for the first time in a while. I went to the repair menu (instead of install) and selected the option to repair startup problems. It started diagnosing and preparing the repairs, but froze in the middle of it and gave me a screen I haven’t seen before. It says “Recovery” in big letters on the top and then says:

“Your PC/Device needs to be repaired. 

The Boot Configuration Data file doesn’t contain valid information for an operating system.

File: \Boot\BCD

Error Code: 0xc0000098

You’ll need to use recovery tools. If you don’t have any installation media (like a disc or USB device), contact your PC administrator or PC/Device manufacturer.”

When I remove my one RAM stick and turn on the PC, nothing happens, no beeps. 

10 Elder

• 

44.3K Posts

April 14th, 2020 14:00

@DuoJiDah  - Well gee... Did you really expect to run a repair when the HDD isn't connected? There's nothing to be repaired without a HDD connected that has the OS on it.

Reconnect the hard drive, clear BIOS by removing/reinstalling the battery and then put the HDD back at the top of the boot sequence. Reboot and use the F12 menu to start the repair again. If it fails mid-way like it did without the HDD connected, then maybe the drive has failed.

Unfortunately, you complicated your situation by changing to Legacy boot and disabling Secure Boot. And you can't go back easily, or probably not without doing a clean install on a working HDD...

EDIT: Don't forget that the USB stick has to be connected before you power the PC on and use the F12 menu

9 Legend

• 

11.7K Posts

April 14th, 2020 15:00

As Rohe suggested you removed all RAM sticks and powered up motherboard and you heard No beep.  That is not a good sign that motherboard is not complaining no memory present at all.

There is not much you can do if the motherboard is faulty.  This is sometimes caused by bent cpu socket pin unless no one has removed and installed cpu after factory configuration. 

I would still suggest you try to boot with a RAM stick you can borrow from another PC to see if it makes any difference.

9 Legend

• 

11.7K Posts

April 14th, 2020 18:00

Re: The only thing I haven't tried is changing out the RAM stick, because I can't get my hands on another DDR4 at the moment.

I suggest you remove both RAM sticks and mentally label them so you know which one is which.  Put RAM #1 in DIMM1, leave RAM #2 out.  test it.  if still BSOD, take RAM #1 out, put RAM #2 in DIMM1, test again.

if you are lucky, only one ram is faulty, you might find a solution.

6 Posts

April 14th, 2020 18:00

I reset the BIOS like you said and reconnected the original hard drive. It still won’t boot anything. After I select the USB drive in the boot menu, it loads for a few seconds and then gives me the same Recovery screen I described in the last post. Happens every time

10 Elder

• 

44.3K Posts

April 14th, 2020 19:00

@DuoJiDah 

Did you reconnect the HDD before you reset BIOS? That's the proper sequence.

What happens when you get to that Recovery screen with the HDD connected? Does it launch and give an error message again? (Exactly what does it say?)

And keep in mind that RAM slot DIMM1 is the second slot, counting from the CPU, not the first slot...

9 Legend

• 

11.7K Posts

April 15th, 2020 10:00

Thanks for letting us know the detailed tests you did.  I agree there is not much you can do.  chances are cpu is still good but motherboard has flaw.

6 Posts

April 15th, 2020 10:00

@RoHe @redxps630 

When I had reset the BIOS previously I had done it without the HDD connected.

I just now reset it in the proper sequence with the original HDD connected and swapped out my RAM stick for a working one. Now I’m not getting that Recovery screen that says “The Boot Configuration Data file doesn’t contain valid information for an operating system“ anymore (I was getting every time I tried to boot into anything). Now I can fairly consistently boot into the Windows installation USB drive, but whenever I try to do anything I get a WHEA_UNCORRECTABLE_ERROR or even occasionally a SYSTEM_SERVICE_EXCEPTION blue screen. If I try to run a startup repair, blue screen. If I try to run a system reset, blue screen. If I try to install Windows, blue screen. 

This is even after installing a perfectly good RAM stick. Is there anything more I can do? I’ve pretty much accepted the fact that this PC is a big piece of scrap metal at this point. 

10 Elder

• 

44.3K Posts

April 15th, 2020 11:00

If the PC boots from the OS USB stick and attempts to run a Windows repair or install, that doesn't sound -to me- like it's toast. I wouldn't expect it to boot at all from USB if the motherboard and/or CPU wasn't working.

There are a number of free apps that run from a bootable USB stick (don't use your Windows OS stick) which can test the old HDD. That way you'll know if a dead HDD is the problem.

You can use Rufus (free) to create a bootable USB stick and then copy whichever HDD test app you want to use onto that stick. Use the F12 menu to boot from USB and follow the app's instructions to run it.

Or, do you have a known working HDD (or SSD) that you can install, after removing the old drive, and then re-format the "new" drive and do a clean OS installation from your USB stick? Be sure to change BIOS from Legacy back to UEFI and re-enable Secure Boot, before running a clean install on this other drive.

And/or maybe it's just time to take it to a PC shop for evaluation and repair estimate?

No Events found!