Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

F

July 14th, 2018 23:00

XPS 8910, motherboard replacement

Need help finding a replacement on my motherboard for the XPS 8910. Don't see anywhere in Dell web page where I can order a new one. Have only found manufactured refurbished on eBay from China. 

Motherboard Intel WPMFG IPSKL-VM Socket LGA1151

10 Elder

• 

24.8K Posts

July 15th, 2018 06:00

Dell generally does not sell mainboards online - you can call Dell Spare Parts for price/availability.

1-800-357-3355

5 Posts

July 15th, 2018 14:00

Thanks for the reply, I'll give them a call tomorrow.

10 Elder

• 

44.3K Posts

July 15th, 2018 19:00

Out of curiosity, why do you think you need a new motherboard?

5 Posts

July 16th, 2018 19:00

Was using the computer out of nowhere it crashed into a blue screen saying it was going to start Automatic Repair after Restart. Restarted itself and goes into the Dell Logo screen with the message Preparing Automatic Repair. I see and hear it restart 3 times and goes back to the same screen and just stays stuck there for ever. Took it to a tech and he did checkups and scans all hardware test outs good and working. Not even a boot from USB will go pass the Dell Logo Screen. So the Tech Company is telling me it has to be the motherboard.

10 Elder

• 

44.3K Posts

July 17th, 2018 11:00

Did you recently do a BIOS update?

Just because the hardware passes the diagnostics, doesn't mean the Windows installation on the hard drive isn't trashed, as suggested by its attempts to do a repair.

How are they attempting to boot from USB? Did they connect a bootable USB stick to a USB2 port before powering the PC on, and then powering on and immediately pressing F12 to see the boot menu?

Did anyone try clearing BIOS by removing the motherboard battery and pressing/holding the power button for ~30 sec before reinstalling it?

Has anyone stripped it down to bare essentials by disconnecting all drives, including boot drive, removing all PCI-e cards and all RAM except the one in slot 1, and then see if it will boot from USB with monitor connected to onboard video?

No Events found!