Start a Conversation

Solved!

Go to Solution

October 13th, 2019 17:00

XPS 8910, upgrade from HDD to SSD?

hi folks , have a xps8910 - am going to upgrade from hdd to ssd - wd blue 3d nand 2tb - will be cloning and using the new drive as only drive - just wanted some input on what settings may need changed - bios , win 10 , ect. ect. from what i've read win 10 pretty much handles ssd on it's own  - mostly concerned about bios setting for RAID vs AHCI - have read that RAID is the default setting for Dells and if changed to AHCI it will not boot w/BSOD or some other nasty thing so setting should be left at RAID even though ssd perform better set at AHCI or will the ssd work fine with RAID on. any help with this will be appreciated .... thanks.

4 Operator

• 

3.2K Posts

October 13th, 2019 17:00

Since your HDD is setup with SATA Operation in the BIOS set to RAID and you plan to clone it then leave it set to RAID. You can change SATA Operation to AHCI for the SSD but not until after cloning. If you change SATA Operation to AHCI before cloning you will have to re-install Windows on the SSD. Samsung SSDs, because of Samsung software, like to be set to AHCI but I don't know about WD.

After cloning be sure to disconnect the HDD before booting the SSD.

There is no problem with either RAID or AHCI. I have a XPS 8910 with 2 Samsung SSDs and 1 HDD and SATA Operation set the AHCI.

Here is the procedure to switch Windows 10 from RAID to AHCI: http://triplescomputers.com/blog/uncategorized/solution-switch-windows-10-from-raidide-to-ahci-operation/ Step 3 & 4 is where to switch SATA Operation in the BIOS.

No Events found!