Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

February 19th, 2018 19:00

XPS 8920, BIOS 1.0.14, Front I/O cable failure message

I upgraded the BIOS of my XPS 8920 from version 1.0.11 to version 1.0.14 last night (intermediate versions weren't offered in my country or were removed from Dell's website before I noticed them). After the upgrade, I started receiving the "Alert! Front I/O cable failure" message (code 2000-0716) on boot. I checked the cables, reseated all of them and tested the front panel devices, which are all working fine. The power LED is not blinking neither changed color. I run the diagnostics and no errors were found, which makes me suspect a bug in this BIOS version. Is anyone else having this same problem after this update?

2 Posts

February 26th, 2018 11:00

Like everyone else. I updated bios to 1.0.14. Support said she wasn't aware of bios problem. Dell were waiting on you.

February 26th, 2018 12:00

A heads up: 

I just discovered that BIOS 1.8.2 (released 18 February) for my Latitude 7280, updated last week, is now a "Suspended Release".  So something went wrong with that upgrade, too, although I don't know what the problem is.  Whatever it is, it is not as obvious as the 8920/1.0.14 issue.  Now both of my personal computers -- the 8920 and 7280 -- are running bad BIOS releases.

I also noticed that the BIOS upgrades for two of the five computers that I planned to upgrade at the museum have also moved into the "Suspended Release" category in the last several days.  I'm starting to wonder if this isn't a repeat of the January release/suspend cycle.

At this point, I suggest that you be very cautious about upgrading the BIOS on any Dell computers you may own or maintain.  Check the "Dell Client Statement on Intel ME/TXE Advisory (INTEL-SA-00086)" Knowledge Base list (URL below) before doing a BIOS update.  As for myself, I'm suspending all BIOS upgrades until this thing shakes out a bit more.  Burned once, twice cautious.  Burned twice, hold in place.

http://www.dell.com/support/article/us/en/19/sln308237/dell-client-statement-on-intel-me-txe-advisory-intel-sa-00086-?lang=en

February 26th, 2018 18:00

For anyone that is concerned that they need to upgrade to mitigate the meltdown/spectre vulnerabilities, you might want to check into this very simple utility.

https://www.grc.com/inspectre.htm

With this BIOS (1.0.14) and Windows Home Build 16299.125, the utility showed vulnerable; however, after updating the OS to 16299.248, and with the same BIOS, my system is no longer vulnerable (maybe as vulnerable).  So Microsoft was able to patch the OS to mitigate the Intel processor related vulnerabilities.

I used to say it cannot hurt to update your OS; but in light of these issues, better to step back.  When my iPhone prompted me this morning to update (to 11.2.6), I immediately google'd and there are problems, so I'm holding off updating that too. 

Bottom line, more cyber security related vulnerabilities become more prevalent, and more complicated, companies will need to be diligent to perform relevant regression testing.  And now the consumer needs to be at least aware of the potential of a software patch breaking your system (like the Inspiron 3650s that got bricked by a BIOS update).

62 Posts

February 26th, 2018 19:00

A good summary but my understanding is that complete protection requires both OS and firmware updates.

February 27th, 2018 05:00

Dell-Chris M

The response you received from the platform team is a bit scary:

"Platform Team stated that all of the latest BIOS should have had downgrade rights. But when I specifically asked the question regarding this system BIOS, there was no conclusive answer from them."

That suggests that they thought what they released would have downgrade rights but somehow it didn't.  To me that implies the possibility that they managed to corrupt the BIOS update process on our 8920 machines so that no further update is possible.  Can you say new motherboard?

Do we know yet if the platform team is actually even preparing (and hopefully testing) a BIOS update that will solve this problem?

Community Manager

• 

54.9K Posts

February 27th, 2018 08:00

All we were told is that the platform team is working the issue.

February 27th, 2018 08:00

It seems to be a big issue. Why is taking so long?! Malware perhaps?

3 Posts

February 27th, 2018 10:00

This situation is really making me rethink hitting the update button when new firmware/software is available. Sure, sometimes upgrade rollouts don't go perfectly, but the fact this this one may require hardware replacement is worrisome.

February 27th, 2018 13:00

@Anonymous Chris-M

Do you know of any Dell knowledge base articles/advisories where I could find out answers to the following questions:

(1)  Has Dell been able to conclusively determine/confirm that 1.0.14 cannot be user-downgraded by flashing an earlier BIOS version, or is the inability to downgrade tied in with the issues that BIOS creates on the 8920, so that the BIOS on 8920's not getting the 0716 error can be downgraded?

(2)  If the 1.0.14 BIOS is not user-downgradable, are other BIOS updates in the February 18-20 release cycle (e.g. Inspiron 7353 BIOS 1.18.2, Latitude 3180/3289/7280 BIOS 1.8.2, Optiplex 3030/3050 BIOS 1.7.9) also not user-downgradable, or is the problem limited to 1.0.14?

(3)  If a BIOS not user-downgradable, does that present problems for future BIOS upgrades?

I've looked around the Dell knowledge bases and Dell advisories and statements, coming up dry.  I've found a bit of material on the web, but the discussions are dated (that is, more than two years old) and about other manufacturers, so it isn't helpful.

I'm not asking you to run the answers down -- you've got plenty to do as it is -- but simply to point me to a Dell advisory if one has been issued.

February 27th, 2018 15:00

Based on Dell Support wanting to Archive my case for seven days even though a resolution date had not been determined yet, I escalated my case above the Dell Customer Service Supervisor level, and did received a call back yesterday from a Manager; he provided an update with a BIOS release date; however, rather than me repeating that information second hand, I suggested that the CS Manager communicate that information to the Community Moderators.

If you situation is such that you need a firm BIOS release resolution date, I would suggest you escalate your case as required to get the information you need.

62 Posts

Some of the answers are in previous posts in this thread.  Please review. 

Nothing definite is known as to cause and resolution and it will probably be that way until the platform team finishes determining the issues and fixing them.  I have read in the tech media that some issues may have to be addressed by Intel. 

I doubt Dell has the answers yet and the only timeline given by anybody is two weeks and that was reported as coming from a support agent during a customer contact.  Not an answer I would rely on as firm.  I'm afraid you will just have to wait it out with the rest of us. 

I would not assume anything about the inability to roll back to a previous BIOS version.  The platform team is reported in an earlier post in this thread to have been surprised at that.  I know of no barrier to future BIOS updates, however, so don't start worrying about that yet.  The roll-back issue sounds like a production error and nothing to do with the issue itself.  

The worst thing you can do when these SNAFUs happen is to start assuming things.  Assumptions are attempts to get an answer when no answer is possible yet.  Don't do it.  

One speculative reason for the BIOS downgrade limitation would be that if you allow the BIOS to be rolled back, then Dell would also have to test for that scenario to ensure you do not inadvertently brick the device when going backwards.  I can see Dell having the bandwidth to roll back one minor revision, e.g. 1.0.14  back to 1.0.13, and being able to test that scenario; but since we are trying to go back to 1.0.11, that's a couple more.  And rather than test all combinations, it would be easier to just block going backwards.

Community Manager

• 

54.9K Posts

February 28th, 2018 06:00

Tom in Madison,

(1) Has Dell been able to conclusively determine/confirm that 1.0.14 cannot be user-downgraded by flashing an earlier BIOS version, or is the inability to downgrade tied in with the issues that BIOS creates on the 8920, so that the BIOS on 8920's not getting the 0716 error can be downgraded?
* They simply told us that the BIOS was locked to NOT allow back flashing.

(2) If the 1.0.14 BIOS is not user-downgradable, are other BIOS updates in the February 18-20 release cycle (e.g. Inspiron 7353 BIOS 1.18.2, Latitude 3180/3289/7280 BIOS 1.8.2, Optiplex 3030/3050 BIOS 1.7.9) also not user-downgradable, or is the problem limited to 1.0.14?
* I have no idea. We do not get a comprehensive list of every BIOS update and what it fixes and if it is locked. We are reactive like you. We see the file on the website and read the same notes about it that you do. Being reactive, we send the issues to the L3 Team for review.

(3) If a BIOS not user-downgradable, does that present problems for future BIOS upgrades?
* The XPS 8920 BIOS 1.0.14 certainly proves that point.

February 28th, 2018 07:00

Chris-M thanks for the quick response to the questions.  I'll keep looking around the community and looking for updates/new advisories on any issues presented by the February 18-20 releases.  I've got time, since I've decided to put the museum upgrades off until March 20, and those seven machines are the ones I worry about.

5 Posts

February 28th, 2018 10:00

I bought my Dell XPS 8920 for less than 1 month ago. I was a user for 8 years from an iMac and I decided to migrate to a PC. I've never had a problem with Apple these years. When migrating to the PC I decided to choose Dell as a great traditional brand, which in my view would guarantee more reliability and quality, that is, less headache. Unfortunately the first impression was not good. Shortly after the computer arrives, I am warned of a BIOS update that promises to optimize and make the system safer. I upgrade and now my computer displays an error message on every boot. The biggest problem is not having released a problematic BIOS, the problem is not solving the problem fast. It's been 10 days since the problem began and we do not even have a solution. Unfortunately, I'm sorry I bought Dell.

No Events found!