Start a Conversation

Unsolved

1 Rookie

• 

445 Posts

April 17th, 2020 16:00

XPS 8920, SD card reader not working

The SD card reader worked fine until this AM.

Now when I put an SD card in I get a message " Please insert a disk in removable disk E" I do get the sound indication when I do that. Have used a flashlight and looked closely at it and can see nothing wrong. Looking at the manual it appears to be part of the USB panel that has the audio jacks and 4 USB ports on it.

Does that whole panel need to be changed or can the reader be changed separate? I looked in Dell parts and can't seem to find them.

Any advise would be appreciated.

Thank you.

10 Elder

• 

44.3K Posts

April 17th, 2020 17:00

Always mention version of Windows in your posts.

• Did you reboot PC and try again?
  • Did you try a different SD card?
  • Did you disconnect all other USB devices, except mouse and keyboard, reboot and...
  • Does this SD card work on another PC?

Did you recently install any new hardware, BIOS updates, driver updates, or Windows updates?

Card readers are typically USB devices. I don't see a separate Win 10 driver listed for the card reader in the XPS 8920, so it probably is running under USB.

Look in Device Manager to see if anything is marked with an X or !, or if any "unknown device" is listed.

4 Operator

• 

3.2K Posts

April 17th, 2020 17:00

The SD card reader is in Device Manager / Disk drives / Multiple Card Reader USB Devive. Check the Driver tab to see if the device is enabled.

1 Rookie

• 

445 Posts

April 17th, 2020 18:00

I did everything that RoHe suggested and looked in device manager and it is enabled. The SD card feels like it may not be going all the way in, but looking in the slot with a flashlight I can' see anything that would hold it up.

9 Legend

• 

11.7K Posts

April 17th, 2020 19:00

the card reader may trap some dirt that you do not see w naked eyes but can cause contact issue w card electrical fingers. you can try to use 90% rubbing alcohol wetting a test SD card finger a little bit and insert it and take it out a couple of times (kind of like using the SD as a wet Qtip) to see if that help the card recognition better.

1 Rookie

• 

445 Posts

April 17th, 2020 21:00

Thank you. Will try that.

1 Rookie

• 

445 Posts

April 17th, 2020 21:00

That didn't help, but thanks for that information would have never though about doing that and it could come in handy later on. 

The front USB ports are all working fine so will pick up a USB to SD card adapter tomorrow and use that. Getting a new computer in 6 months anyway.

Thanks again and you all stay safe.

10 Elder

• 

44.3K Posts

April 18th, 2020 12:00

So that same card works on a different PC?

Are you sure the card isn't locked by the little write-protect toggle switch on the edge? And, no offense, you're inserting it right-side-up?

No Events found!