Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

S

February 17th, 2018 15:00

XPS 8920 bios version 1.0.12

I have the XPS 8920 desktop with the Intel i7 processor and around late December or early Jan, this year I have updated the bios to version 1.0.12.

Today I went to Dell driver download page for my PC and they removed bios version 1.0.12 from their web site and now the latest one is version 1.0.11

Does anyone know what happened to the bios version 1.0.12 for XPS 8920?  The reason I asked is lately I have an issue where I can not get  into the bios or the boot menu by pressing F2 or F12 continuously during the boot up.   In fact I could not even see the Dell Logo.  All it does when I boot up is the black screen then it go directly into Windows no matter if I continuously tapping on F2 or F12.   Beside can not get into the Bios or bring up the Boot menu,  the PC seems to be working fine.

I'm wondering the bios version 1.0.12 has some known issue and Dell took down that version from their download page.

Thanks

1 Rookie

• 

3.2K Posts

February 17th, 2018 16:00

Have your tried this method: 1. Hold and press [Shift] then turn off the system. 2. Press and hold the F2 button then click the power button. DO NOT RELEASE the F2 button until the BIOS screen display.

Or this method:

1. Click the Start menu and select Settings.
  2. Select Update and Security.
  3. Click Recovery.
  4. Under Advanced startup, click Restart now. ...
  5. Select Troubleshoot.
  6. Choose Advanced options.
  7. Select UEFI Firmware Settings.
  8. Click Restart to restart the system and enter UEFI (BIOS).

February 18th, 2018 05:00

Thank you,  Method 1 works.

At first when doing method 1,  it stuck at the black screen for at least ten minutes not even going to Windows,  then I turn the  PC off.   Then turning it back on without pressing or touching anything,  magically I see the Dell logo, and at the bottom right I now also see the f2 and f12 prompts.   I let it go into Windows,  then shutdown and boot on again and now I constantly see the dell logo and the f2/f12 prompts.  I'm now able to press f2 and go into the bios.  Unlike the past every time when I boot up the computer I now do see the Dell logo and f2/f12 prompt.

Can you explain to me for method 1,  what exactly does it do? does it clear out some cache or reset something that may causing the issue in the past where I did not see the Dell logo or the f2/f12 prompt all I see was black screen then it go directly to Windows no matter if I keep on tapping f2/f12 at bootup?

Thank you very much.  Been on the phone for hours with Dell support and they couldn't figure it out,  they think it is the motherboard and told me to send it back for repair.

1 Rookie

• 

3.2K Posts

February 18th, 2018 05:00

I think what is does is disable fast boot/startup. At boot RAM is reloaded with the kernel, drivers, and system state from an image in the hibernation file which is written at shutdown. You can read more about it here: https://www.howtogeek.com/243901/the-pros-and-cons-of-windows-10s-fast-startup-mode/

If you boot the OS from an SSD I don't see much advantage of this feature. The hibernation file takes up disk space and writing it slows shutdown.

No Events found!