Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

J

March 26th, 2018 13:00

XPS 8920, expansion possibilities

I have two questions about possibilities for expansion of an XPS 8920.

1. Can I install both (a) pci-e nvme card in the x4 expansion slot [denoted 15 on the diagram "system-board components"] and (b) m2 nvme card [denoted 8 "solid state drive slot"] such that they both transfer data using four data lanes?

2. If the answer is Yes, then I shall have 2 pci-e devices plus 3 sata3 disks (not ssds -- one for windows10, two for linux which I already added). Will the bios see them all?

jim

8 Wizard

• 

17K Posts

March 26th, 2018 15:00

I'm not saying it won't work, but I've never heard of running more than one M.2-PCIe/NVMe SSD. Most people run the on-board one and then run the others as SATA (hopefully, mostly SSD).

I think the installed M.2-PCIe/NVMe SSD wants to be bootable C: (in Windows anyway). I've never tried Linux on my (similar to yours) Aurora-R6.

Finally, see this:

https://www.dell.com/community/Alienware-General/Alienware-Aurora-R6-Booting-Linux-on-PCIe-M-2/m-p/5520641

EDIT: Add-in PCIe cards normally use whatever lanes electrically available at the slot (usually determined by slot length, but not always) . Newer cards should support the higher-bandwidth v3.0 PCIe lanes.

14 Posts

March 26th, 2018 17:00

Thanks for the quick reply, esp reference of nvme load modules.  I understand that opensuse, at least, pretty much automatically accommodates in its installation process.  Following Dell and opensuse instructions, I had no problem with the linux installation.  

I'm hoping if someone knows that the z270 chipset cannot deal with two x4 streams simultaneously.

Best, jim

8 Wizard

• 

17K Posts

March 26th, 2018 18:00

@jbennett0wrote:

I'm hoping if someone knows that the z270 chipset cannot deal with two x4 streams simultaneously.

Best, jim

AFAIK, the chipset and cpu can use all the available PCIe lanes concurrently. Whether two sets or x4 are being used for SSD access is irrelevant I think. There's a lot of others doing other stuff (like running the video-card(s)).

No Events found!