Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

S

April 4th, 2018 15:00

XPS 8920, no HDD activity LED

Hello XPS Owners,

Since it does not have a HDD activity LED, it is hard to tell when installing something if it is hang/stuck or it is still processing. Is there another alternative way to see if there is disk activity? For example, I was reinstalling the Operating System and there has the black screen for a very long time. I was wondering is it stuck/hung or is it doing something? Without the HDD activity LED, I cannot tell the disk activities.

Thanks

4 Operator

• 

2.3K Posts

April 5th, 2018 10:00

If you have a Hard Drive you should be able to hear it crunching away. If you are in Windows, you can access the task manager and see if the HDD is being accessed.

8 Wizard

• 

17K Posts

April 6th, 2018 16:00

For systems that usually come with a SSD, they often do not have HDD Activity lights now-days. However, on my Aurora-R6 Desktop, it is on the back-panel. Have you checked there?

24 Posts

May 4th, 2018 16:00

Try GLINT.EXE :
https://sites.google.com/site/glintutility/

I have the same complaint. There are HDD activity pins on the motherboard, however, it does not give any signal.  I use glint as an alternative.
You need to configure glint to limit for HDD activity, as it show so many indicators.  You also understand the disadvantage as it does not work when shutting down the PC.

Tak

2 Posts

October 25th, 2018 15:00

Handy to see network and disk activity blinkenlights.

Thanks for the tip.

No Events found!