Start a Conversation

Unsolved

S

1 Message

February 19th, 2020 03:00

XPS 8920, upgrade CPU cooler

Help!

I know the 8920 is not the best at staying cool...I just upgraded my CPU to a I7-7700K with the stock cooler.  While running some stress tests, etc, the CPU went all the way up to 90 C (not overclocked)...way too hot!  Here's my problem:  I'd really like to find a more efficient cooler (either liquid or air) to keep my CPU cooler in case I do overclock.  However, with the proprietary case, I don't know what my options are.  Will a different low profile air fan help?  Should I go liquid?  Is there room to mount a radiator for a liquid cooler?  I really really don't want to change out my case, especially since I'm a big believer in IO shields (backplane) and won't have one for this motherboard.  Any one else thought of a solution for this?  Thanks!

4 Operator

• 

3.2K Posts

February 19th, 2020 03:00

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

February 20th, 2020 12:00

@schroederokc    I'd really like to find a more efficient cooler (either liquid or air)

Think outside the box.

XPS-8930-CPU-&-GPU-Water-Cooling-External-Rad 

. . . even further outside the box.

XPS-8930-Liquid-Cooling-II 

2 Intern

• 

2.5K Posts

February 23rd, 2020 10:00

forget low profile and all that

what matters is CFM , cubic feet per minute flow, (air) some fans larger   can move more air. sure.

Physics, large blade fan area, need less RPM to get more CFM, but gee 1000s of fans made.

what matters 2nd is not causing DELLS BIOS TO F1 fail the fan as most alien fans do, (I have cure but too long answers)

What matters  is this and this alone, get the heat out of the  case, nothing else matters if the stock fan is ok.

1. good CPU TIM, not junk and not slathered on like window caulk.
  2. all fans work right now. (full rpm and clean)
  3. add a front fan.
  4. make sure that CPU copper heat radiator is 100% clean I use SHOP AIR to blow it fully out ,just like problematic laptops same kind of radiators. (endless that)
  5. USe GPU that does not dump 250watts into the case, do not. (buy one that has external fan grill to rear)
  6. if possible add PCI slot fan box that sucks are from case and blows to rear outside the case.
  7. if all else fails, water cooling, (vast choices, exist, some are very good like cooling towers outside and fan free, even zero sound. Inside the case water  coolers need to fit and blow air out of the case or is useless.)

2 Intern

• 

2.5K Posts

you can see the silly hinged PSU covers the CPU fan, making changes never easy there,

it has  top fan right, and optional front fan ever consider 1 more fan.

can I ASSuME the room is 72f not 95F?  (not at your Equado cabana>?) right,>?  I never like to GUESS that.

you can see the cpm fan sucks are from inside case and blows it OUTSIDE fully.  see that?

ahh blows to top fan then it blows out.

upgrade the BIOS so fans act smarter (pray)???????????????

add the front fan yet seen at DELL here

did you use top brand, TIM from heat sink to CPU top?  intel and me we use SHIN Estu. it is the best. not hype.

have proof of that and never do I go to any hype sites. I test my own TIM, using DOW Chem base line TIM. 340

Did you put on too much TIM,  seen this (last  photo). vast times, and is so WRONG.  (more is better is a lie)

TIM = heat sink grease (tech slang,for over 40 years) even back to 1968 I used 340 . not now. not here !!!

2 Intern

• 

2.5K Posts

at 90c CPU,  is the GPU in 3d overload,  you never said all test conditions. and that matters too.

CPU is 91watts waste heat at full tilt.

some GPU cards barf out 250watts of raw heat, to the inside of the case some do, outside case 10x better.

90c the PCU is already slowing down and near here it self shut down.  you need to  fix that fast

if that unstated GPU card is huge power burner say so, even give full make and model card here.

even better a URL to it for sale.

A PC has things that you work here, power budget and heat load budget (where to send it   and how.

not knowing all things in your box makes that  impossible be accurate.

No Events found!