Start a Conversation

Unsolved

D

14 Posts

September 25th, 2018 06:00

XPS 8920, will not discover AMD Radeon RX 580

This is factory installed Radeon and it was working. Problem started when I tried to set up new dual monitors - both using display ports on Radeon. Dozens of frustrating attempts but monitors would not extend desktop. Would duplicate, but not extend. Updated drivers, no help. Followed a suggestion to uninstall and reinstall the Radeon. Uninstall went fine, but now Windows does not find the Radeon to reinstall.  Help, please. Of course, if you can also help with the original problem of not being able to extend desktop, that would be a giant bonus. Thanks.

Oh, they are LG 4K monitors. Running Windows 10 Home. And, yes, I've tried the Settings, Control Panel, Device Manager approaches. They just do not see the card.

Community Manager

• 

54.9K Posts

September 25th, 2018 06:00

Let's backup. You stated, "This is factory installed Radeon and it was working.". What was the original single monitor that you were using?

14 Posts

September 25th, 2018 07:00

I just meant the Radeon was installed by Dell when I bought the 8920..

Community Manager

• 

54.9K Posts

I can receive a private message from anyone logged into this Forum.

On the LG 4K monitors, list all of the video in ports.

14 Posts

Not sure if your "....send private message...." is specific for me of just part of your signature?

Community Manager

• 

54.9K Posts

What was the original single monitor that you were using prior to the LG 4K monitors?

14 Posts

Previously had a Samsung 4k and an Acer 1080 - both connected via HDMI. Extended desktop worked fine. I think I was using the HDMI on motherboard and one HDMI on the Radeon (but not absolutely sure).

14 Posts

September 25th, 2018 08:00

Not daisy chained, Two display ports on Radeon card.  But, I first need to get the Radeon card recognized/installed.

14 Posts

Of course, since the Radeon is not currently active, I'm just receiving video on one monitor via the onboard intel

4 Operator

• 

3.2K Posts

Have you tried connecting both monitors via HDMI? Apparently you connected your old 4K monitor via HDMI. I believe 4K requires HDMI 2.0. Are you daisy chaining your 4K monitors? I don't believe you can daisy chain 4K monitors based upon Displayport 1.2 bandwidth.

14 Posts

Each monitor has two HDMI and one Display Port.  I'm currently using the display port on both monitors.

14 Posts

September 25th, 2018 09:00

Thanks.... going to give it a try....  getting desperate.

14 Posts

The "it" you suggest removing is the Radeon card itself - right?  Thought about trying that, but felt it was just software glitch.

8 Wizard

• 

17K Posts

@dlarius wrote:

The "it" you suggest removing is the Radeon card itself - right?  Thought about trying that, but felt it was just software glitch.

Right. Yes, I hope so too, but I don't know how else you plan to get it to work.

You said it wasn't detected any more. That is how I fix that problem sometimes. Windows will re-enumerate the hardware. 

8 Wizard

• 

17K Posts

@dlarius wrote:

1. Not daisy chained, Two display ports on Radeon card. 

2. But, I first need to get the Radeon card recognized/installed.

1. Good this is the best way, IMO. 2 DP to 2 monitors.

2. Sounds extreme, but you might have to:
- Remove Radeon card
- Boot system a few times with only Intel IGP working
- Reinstall Radeon and boot. See if it will PnP detect

Be careful and be sure to unplug and release "flea power" before even touching card or insides.

14 Posts

September 25th, 2018 10:00

Still not recognized. So don't know if it's the card, the mobo, or software.  Guess I can try the card on another machine to rule out the card (hopefully).

No Events found!