Start a Conversation

Unsolved

R

5 Posts

May 11th, 2019 08:00

XPS 8930, 32GB ram (2x16) possible?

I would like to know if anyone has been successful running this configuration. My reason for asking is I would prefer to use on 2 of the 4 slots to give me space for future expansion should I need it. I know there was a new bios released in March 2019. Did it add any features that may support this configuration, 

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

July 3rd, 2019 18:00

Here is a link to a discussion from last year that actually speaks more to your question.

RAM & RAM Slots

According to a knowledgeable poster in that thread, the Dell Service Manual RAM Matrix is [profanity].

Perhaps there is some useful information for you in that link. This poster was doing 16  8  16  8 for 48 GB total. Unfortunately, they never reported back.

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

July 8th, 2019 15:00

@mr_archer wrote:

16 / 8 / 16 / 8  for 48GB is not a configuration that is recommended in the Setup Manual, so there is a good likelihood it will not work.

I'm not sure how the poster you referenced could possibly blame Dell if configuration NOT recommended ends up not working?

Configuration
Slot  DIMM1 DIMM2 DIMM3 DIMM4
  8 GB =  4 GB / 4 GB
16 GB =  8 GB / 8 GB
24 GB =  4 GB / 4 GB / 8 GB / 8 GB
32 GB =  8 GB / 8 GB / 8 GB / 8 GB
64 GB =16 GB / 16 GB / 16 GB / 16 GB 

I don't think the poster I referenced was blaming Dell for anything. They were asking the Community if configurations other than those depicted in the Dell recommended Memory Configuration Matrix would work. The answer they got was "yes, as long as you have matched pairs" (paraphrasing).

70 Posts

July 8th, 2019 15:00

16 / 8 / 16 / 8  for 48GB is not a configuration that is recommended in the Setup Manual, so there is a good likelihood it will not work.

I'm not sure how the poster you referenced could possibly blame Dell if configuration NOT recommended ends up not working?

Configuration
Slot  DIMM1 DIMM2 DIMM3 DIMM4
  8 GB =  4 GB / 4 GB
16 GB =  8 GB / 8 GB
24 GB =  4 GB / 4 GB / 8 GB / 8 GB
32 GB =  8 GB / 8 GB / 8 GB / 8 GB
64 GB =16 GB / 16 GB / 16 GB / 16 GB 

4 Operator

• 

3.2K Posts

July 8th, 2019 17:00

@mr_archer The configuration in your post (although correct for memory configuration) does not match the configuration on page 20 of the XPS 8930 Setup and Specification. Look at the 8GB and 16GB configurations, the Dell document states the DIMMs should be in slots DIMM1 and DIMM3. The Dell document is incorrect. The configuration information and the note in the XPS 8930 Service Manual is also incorrect. For both the 8GB and 18GB configurations the DIMMs should be in slots DIMM1 and DIMM2. Dell630i is correct, the Dell RAM matrix has been incorrect in the XPS 8910. XPS 8920, and now the XPS 8930.

Dell does not list all working configurations. Dell even builds systems with a single DIMM which is not in Dell's own documentation. No one can blame Dell if a configuration Dell has not listed does not work, but folks here have gotten other configurations to work (32GB using two 16GB DIMMs).

70 Posts

July 8th, 2019 18:00

Yes, the spacing on the grid probably doesn't cut and paste correctly. However the correct placement using 2 stick is slot 1 and 3, not 1 and 2. My machine came with 2 x 8GB in 1 & 3. I added the second pair in 2 & 4 to get to 32GB total.

4 Operator

• 

3.2K Posts

July 9th, 2019 04:00

@mr_archer wrote:

Yes, the spacing on the grid probably doesn't cut and paste correctly. However the correct placement using 2 stick is slot 1 and 3, not 1 and 2. My machine came with 2 x 8GB in 1 & 3. I added the second pair in 2 & 4 to get to 32GB total.

If cut and paste had worked correctly your table would be incorrect just like the Dell manual. The heading of the columns in the Dell manuals are incorrect. Look at the 8GB configuration, it says to install memory in slots DIMM1 and DIMM3. The matching slots are DIMM1 & DIMM2 and DIMM3 & DIMM4. Also the note in the Dell manual which says "Use slots DIMM1 and DIMM3 if you need to use two memory modules." is incorrect. The main thing is to install memory in pairs in slots with the same color securing clips (either both white or both black).

70 Posts

July 9th, 2019 06:00

OK I opened mine last night as what you guys were saying just didn't make sense.  Not that it made a difference to me, as I'm using all 4 slots with the same exact 8GB sticks.  But, more for closure.

So, at first glance, all looks exactly as a remembered.  Going left to right, we have Black/White/Black/White.

However, upon closer inspection, I think the issue is the DIMM numbers are not marked in the order you would expect. Going from the left, the are marked, 3/1/4/2 which doesn't make any sense.  Meaning my stock sticks were actually in 1 and 2 which is NOT how the manual suggests. 

For kicks, I opened my other machine, and the 4 slots are numbered in order.  Everyone knows to pair by color, and in my case, all I had to do is add another matched pair to the open slots, so I never bothered to look at the wacky slot numbering sequence nor compare that to the goofed up chart.

Thanks for pointing this out for everyone. If this mistake with Dell has been going on for all these years, and they have never bothered to correct it, that's a pretty glaring bonehead situation.  Note to Dell folks, someone take responsibility to shoot the right guy an email about this already.  Jeez.

10 Elder

• 

44.4K Posts

July 9th, 2019 08:00

For the record, RAM slot DIMM1 is rarely, if ever, the first physical slot counting from the CPU. The first physical slot is DIMM3 and the SECOND physical slot from the CPU is DIMM1. DIMM2 is the last physical slot from the CPU.

You have to know exactly what you're doing (and ranting about) when working inside a PC, so lets put an end to this endless, useless arguing...

No Events found!