Start a Conversation

Unsolved

P

3 Posts

November 30th, 2018 07:00

XPS 8930, BIOS 1.1.3 does not install?

Morning, 

I cannot get this BIOS update to work. Whenever I click the .exe program, it does nothing. Never starts. Nothing happens. I even tried running it as Administrator and nothing happens. I thought maybe it was a bad download, but I've downloaded it several times now and nothing happens. Just seems it won't start the BIOS update utility like it is supposed to and install itself. I double checked my current BIOS version, it says I'm at 1.0.13 July 20th, 2018.

Any ideas?  Suggestions?

Community Manager

• 

54.3K Posts

November 30th, 2018 09:00

For my notes and to check the warranty status, click my username and via private message, send me the service tag number.

First, does your XPS 8930 currently have one of the CPU (Intel i9-9900K, i7-9700K, i5-9600K) that this BIOS specifically addresses? If not, you do not need this BIOS.

1.1.3.JPG

Second, per the instructions, did you check to see if BitLocker encryption was suspended?

BitLocker.JPG

Third,
* Download/Save XPS8930_1.1.3.exe to the Windows desktop
* Disconnect all external USB drives from the desktop. Leaving only the following devices connected to the rear of the XPS 8930 =
power cable
monitor video cable
wired USB mouse
wired USB keyboard
ethernet cable
* Closed all unnecessary software applications (Steam, Anti-virus, etc. )
* Find the saved BIOS file on the Windows desktop
* Right click the file and choose, "Run as administrator". Note, you do not need to "extract" the file. Just run it
* Follow the prompted instructions. The desktop should reboot on its own. Do NOT force it to reboot or power off

December 1st, 2018 03:00

Thank you.  

Just figured this was an update I needed since I ran the support thing from Dell... but did notice since you pointed it out it was not for my processor.    

December 2nd, 2018 05:00

Exactly the same thing happened to me. Seems that Dell Assist is ridiculously dumb since it should know with great precision which processors you have installed. I did read the details and noted that the update did not include my 8700 processors, but I wondered if the details were just wrong instead of the entire Urgent Notice being false. Dell failed miserably on this.

1 Message

December 7th, 2018 17:00

Same here, I don't have one of the processors the update addresses. Support Assist doesn't realize that and thinks I need it anyway. Dell needs to correct this error.

December 8th, 2018 15:00

Hello. I would be very careful about updating this. Yes, Dell has really dropped the ball on this one very badly.

I have the XPS 8910, tried to do the BIOS update, and as of right now my computer won't even turn on.

Lesson learned and awaiting the results. "If it ain't broke, don't fix it."

December 31st, 2018 08:00

I had great respect for Dell's technical competence and that is why I have purchased only Dell PC's and laptops for the past 20 yrs.   

They have lost their edge and their competence in many things.  This is just one more example.

I get a notice about every 3 days from Support Assist that I urgently need to do this BIOS update, yet I have been unable to install it either via Support Assist or even manually.

Just another nail....

1 Rookie

• 

3.2K Posts

December 31st, 2018 13:00

Folks would be better off to disable Support Assist and just manually check for updates with the Service Tag. Be sure to view the driver details and evaluate for yourself the need to download and install.

1 Rookie

• 

403 Posts

December 31st, 2018 14:00

I have an XPS 8930 with i7 8700k.

I, too, got the Support Assistant message to install the new BIOS when it was first released months ago. Assuming I was supposed to install it, I did. It went fine. No Problems with the install. No problems since installing.

As a learning experience, I am just wondering why I was able to install it and others weren't?.

Thanks  

10 Elder

• 

43.6K Posts

December 31st, 2018 17:00

@spotteddog wrote:

I have an XPS 8930 with i7 8700k.

I, too, got the Support Assistant message to install the new BIOS when it was first released months ago. Assuming I was supposed to install it, I did. It went fine. No Problems with the install. No problems since installing.

As a learning experience, I am just wondering why I was able to install it and others weren't?.

Thanks  

Sure you're talking about the same BIOS update? There have been a number of BIOS updates for the XPS 8930 over the past few months to fix Intel security issues. This last one seems to be only to enable support for the newest 9th Gen CPUs...

1 Rookie

• 

403 Posts

January 2nd, 2019 05:00

RoHo,

Yes. Double checked and 1.1.3 has been installed since it was released by Dell.

8 Posts

February 8th, 2019 07:00

I have an XPS 8930 and I was able to get the bios to update as well, but only after I had run all of the other apps that are in SupportAssist.

February 8th, 2019 07:00

Thanks, but I think it based on the processor the unit has.    

No Events found!