Start a Conversation

Solved!

Go to Solution

March 1st, 2021 11:00

XPS 8930, BIOS update 1.1.16 won't install

Recently Dell SupportAssist launched a new update to the BIOS as version 1.1.16. This update failed to load and just continued to run "installing" for well over an hour (I just let it run) which is way too long for a 6.29mb update to install. I Googled my difficulty to see if this was occurring to others and found instructions for how to install the last update 1.1.15 that had done the same thing to other owners. This work around was to download the update onto a USB thumb drive and install it by rebooting the computer with the USB inserted and hitting F12 to enter the update that way. I tried these instructions for update 1.1.16. Everything was fine except that when I was in the F12 screen, my choices were not the same as the instructions and even though there was a cell to enter a file name, my cpu would not let me enter anything. I could navigate around the page with the Tab key, but could not make any inputs.

My question is: How important is this new BIOS update 1.1.16?

Will Dell fix it and send it back out?

Another questions is why doesn't Dell vet these updates more thoroughly so they actually work for us? I have had more SupportAssist critical updates fail or just refuse install, then I have actually work the first time.

Are you listening Dell?

10 Elder

• 

44.3K Posts

March 7th, 2021 16:00

@Kobuk  You should plug the USB with the BIOS update .exe file on it before powering PC on.  To avoid any confusion, don't have any other files on this USB stick. Then power on and use F12 menu to start the flash update.

The first update screen should look like this with model number and current BIOS Revision shown at the top left. Confirm that's all correct.

update1.jpg

Leave Current Path set to FS0 : under BIOS flash file selection. The name of the new BIOS update file should appear under Files (Marked with red arrow above. NOTE: in this demo the BIOS update file name is same as version installed, shown at top left because I've already updated to 1.1.16). Confirm the file name is correct for the update .exe you're going to run.

Now press Tab and the active field should move down from FS0: to Directories. Just press Tab again and the file name shown under Files should automatically be entered into the BIOS Upgrade File field at the bottom. If not,  press Enter to select it and the file name should be copied to the BIOS Upgrade File field. Confirm that info now appears in the BIOS Upgrade Info box at top right of screen.

Update2.jpg

Now use tab to select the button at right of that field to continue...

When the flash is actually running, the PC will reboot automatically, then shut down almost immediately and sit like that for a few sec and reboot again. Just leave it alone until you're safely back at the desktop.

29 Posts

March 1st, 2021 15:00

cant help but everything i see about this "security" update if a fail here, im staying far away 

10 Elder

• 

44.3K Posts

March 1st, 2021 16:00

Did you turn off BitLocker (if enabled), close all open apps and disable your antiviral app before launching the BIOS update in SupportAssist?

I updated my XPS 8930 to BIOS 1.1.16 using a non-bootable USB stick and the F12 menu without any issues.

1. Copy the downloaded file to a USB drive. The USB drive does not need to be bootable device.
2. Insert the USB drive into any USB port.
3. Power on the system.
4. At DELL logo screen, press F12 to access the one-time boot menu.
5. Select BIOS Flash Update Option.
6. Click the  ...  button to browse the USB drive to locate the downloaded file.
7. Select the file and click Ok.
8. Verify the existing system BIOS information and the BIOS update information.
9. Click Begin Flash Update.
10. Review Warning message and click Yes to proceed with the update.
11. The system restarts and displays progress bar at Dell logo screen. System restarts again
      when the update is complete. (NOTE: It may look like it shut itself off completely during the restarts,
      but just leave it alone! until you're back at the desktop.)

BIOS v1.1.16 Fixes & Enhancements:
  1. Firmware updates to address the Intel Security Advisory INTEL-SA-00391 (CVE-2020-8745, CVE-2020-8705, CVE-2020-8751, CVE-2020-12303, and CVE-2020-12355).
  2. - Firmware updates to address the Intel Security Advisory INTEL-SA-00358 (CVE-2020-0587, CVE-2020-0591, CVE-2020-0592, and CVE-2020-0593).
  3. Firmware updates to address the Intel Security Advisory INTEL-SA-00381 (CVE-2020-8696 and CVE-2020-8698).
  4. Firmware updates to address the Intel Security Advisory INTEL-SA-00389 (CVE-2020-8694 and CVE-2020-8695).

I never let SupportAssist manage BIOS updates. IMO, just too risky...

10 Posts

March 6th, 2021 17:00

Hello Ron,

Thanks for the response. I tried to follow your steps today and got hung up on Step 6. In the email I received it shows as regular text. In this forum Step 6 is in red. Not sure exactly what that means other than its important. I also do not understand the ... button.

When I get to the BIOS Flash Update screen I can only move around the screen with the Tab button. Nothing happens with the arrow keys.

Here is the screen under BIOS Flash File Selection:

Current Path: FSO

File System: FSO in a box with a down arrow that I cannot touch, Nor enter anything from the key board.

Directories with a box under that has EFI in it. I can change that to Microsoft, Boot, or Dell.

So I am at a loss as to tell the system where the XPS8930_1.1.16.exe file is on the USB in the G drive.

Do have any words of wisdom for me? Maybe explain Step 6??

Thanks for your assistance!

Daryl (Kobuk)

8 Wizard

• 

17K Posts

March 6th, 2021 18:00

The flash-drive should be formatted at FAT, FAT16, or FAT32 ...

before copying the XPS8930_1.1.16.exe file to it.

Smaller capacity drives are usually more compatible for some reason. Anything under 16gb should be fine (but 8gb would be better).

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

March 8th, 2021 09:00

...a few unmentionables

download the BIOS executable file from the Dell Support website onto the desktop.

copy the downloaded executable file to the root directory of USB flash drive

disconnect peripherals e.g, printer, external HDD, etc.

From a power off state, insert USB drive .

Power on the system and access One-Time Boot menu

10 Posts

March 8th, 2021 16:00

Many thanks to all who responded to my request for assistance. When I downloaded the BIOS update from the Dell website there was an additional file that came along with the exe file for the update. This additional file was apparently the suspect that confused the computer's search for the exe file. Once I deleted that extra file, and followed your instructions, everything went like clockwork.

Kudos to you all!

10 Elder

• 

44.3K Posts

March 9th, 2021 08:00

@Kobuk  - Glad you got the update to work...finally! 

BTW: Was the "additional file" that got downloaded: BIOS_IMG.rcv ? Or something else...? I just tested the download for 1.1.16 and all I got was one .exe file...

10 Posts

March 9th, 2021 11:00

Hi Ron,

Yes. That is the file that came along with the exe. I was going to include a reference to the additional file, but I had deleted it from the thumb drive without noting the file name.

Cheers!

10 Elder

• 

44.3K Posts

March 9th, 2021 16:00

@Kobuk   The .rcv file is only needed if a BIOS update fails and the system can't find a BIOS file stored on the boot drive.

Were you actually able to download an .rcv file? When I tried to download it for the XPS 8930, Firefox displayed  screens full of code, rather than offering me a file that could be downloaded to my PC.

10 Posts

March 10th, 2021 08:00

Hey RoHe,

I did not intentionally download the rcv file. It came along with the exe download from dell.com all by itself.

I did not know what the rcv file was. I just thought it was necessary for the exe to activate. I was even a little hesitant when someone (you maybe?) said the exe could be the only file on the USB thumb drive. When I went to clear the USB for all files except the exe there was also a folder for System Volume Information that I went to delete, received a warning message that deleting this file would cause things to not work properly so I left it alone. My thinking was that if I was still unable to see the exe in the BIOS Flash Boot screen in the right hand panel, I would then go back and delete the System folder. I did not need to do that, just delete the rcv file.

Cheers!

10 Elder

• 

44.3K Posts

March 10th, 2021 11:00

@Kobuk  - Thanks for that info . Must have been some strange issue on the support page because I didn't get the .rcv file when I downloaded the BIOS update .exe the first time or just now when I tried again.

And clicking to download the .rcv file is still giving me screens full of code, not an actual file to download. I alerted them just yesterday so it may take some time to fix, depending on where this is on the problem list.

Sooner or later, they'll get it done...

10 Posts

March 30th, 2021 16:00

Hi Ron,

Not sure if a new issue I have is related to the BIOS upgrade to 1.1.16, but my bluetooth all of a sudden disappeared from my computer. I can see bluetooth in the device manager if I go to View/show hidden devices. I also get an Error code of 45. In researching that my problem seems to be not unique. Most of the fixes want me to go to the USB manager and delete everything then reboot. That did not work. I also tried to uninstall the bluetooth/wifi driver and reinstall with: Qualcomm-QCA9377-Wi-Fi-and-Bluetooth-Driver_CCXT7_WIN_12.0.0.953_A39_06.EXE.

I'm asking you about this because in my efforts to find a solution in the Device Manager, under Firmware it said I had Firmware 1.1.15. It sounded odd to me because of the upgrade to v1.1.16 for the BIOS.

Could these be related?

Here are some screenshot I took:

Picture1.pngPicture2.pngPicture3.pngPicture4.pngPicture5.png

I also tried the following:

Arc of Imperfection

Replied on January 12, 2018

Okay, so I had this same problem. Running the troubleshooter revealed that I didn't have Bluetooth capabilities. This was weird because I had used it several times before. After reading several, several, articles on how to fix it, I found none that would work. After finding this one, I read something that made it click for me. 

The following steps are derived from several articles and my own investigations. I have determined that after a Windows update this problem happened. If you have an integrated Bluetooth adapter then this might not have occurred to you, but the adapter is recognized as a USB connection. So to confirm that your problem is the same as mine do the following

1. Open device manager
  2. Look for Bluetooth. If my problem is the same as yours, you won't find it.
  3. Look for Network Adapters and expand it
  4. You shouldn't see anything mentioning Bluetooth.
  5. Find Universal Serial Bus Controllers and expand it. 
  6. You should see at least one that isn't working.

If the above is true, you can do this to fix it.

1. Open device manager
  2. Scroll down to find Universal Serial Bus Controllers and expand it
  3. If you use a mouse with a USB adapter, you need to figure out which controller uses it
    1. Looking at the Universal Serial Bus Controllers, unplug your mouse.
    2. One of the images should go gray. This is the controller for your mouse. 
    3. Plug the mouse in and you should see it become black again. If not, then you were looking at the wrong one. Try again. 
    4. Make note of which controller this is
  4. Going down the list, uninstall EVERY device except the controller for your mouseUninstall all of them. It's okay because your computer will reinstall them upon restart.
  5. Now uninstall the controller for your mouse. 
  6. Power off the computer
  7. Turn the computer back on 

Do not restart the device. Some people have noticed that restarting (for some reason) doesn't work but turning it off and then on again (removing the battery as well for laptop users) does. Its best just to save yourself the trouble and shut it off completely the first time.

My diagnosis for this issue is because of several Bluetooth is not compatible errors, code 45 errors, and code 43 errors.  If you have the same problems but this does not work I recommend looking further into code 43 errors.

10 Elder

• 

44.3K Posts

March 30th, 2021 16:00

@Kobuk  You're not making this easy...

What CPU do you have in your XPS 8930, 8th or 9th Gen? I have 9th Gen i7 and Device Manager says:  Firmware version: 10110 - but I've installed BIOS v1.1.16.

Click Start>Run and type in: msinfo32.exe and click OK. When that opens, click System Summary in left pane and then scroll down right pane to BIOS version/date. What does it say there? (For mine, msinfo32.exe says Dell Inc. 1.1.16, 1/6/21, even though Device Manager shows an entirely different number.)

Sure you have Qualcomm WiFi+BT or do you have Killer WiFi+BT?

In Device Manager, right-click the hidden BT device and uninstall it and also uninstall any "unknown" USB device listed in Device Manager (hidden or not). Then power PC off normally and unplug power cord from rear of PC. Press/hold power button for ~30 sec. Reconnect power cord to rear of PC and boot.

At the desktop, open Device Manager and on its toolbar, click Action>Scan for hardware changes.  Does that restore BT?

10 Posts

March 31st, 2021 13:00

Hi Ron,

Thank you! I have BT again.

The Marines used to have a saying.... "Heroes are hard to find"

To answer your question, I have an 8th Generation i7.

I checked the BIOS in msinfo32exe. It is the same as yours, 1.1.16, 1/6/21.

Yes, I am sure I have the Qualcomm WiFi + BT. When my issue first raised it's ugly little head I went to Dell Support and looked for an updated driver. This is the driver they recommended for my XPS 8930 Gen 8.

In one of my screen shots above my original post, the USB had an "Unknown that had a yellow triangle over the USB symbol. I did an uninstall and followed your directions to the letter for shutdown and unplugging.

Thank you again for being a mentor that always seem to be there for users like me.

Daryl

No Events found!