Start a Conversation

Solved!

Go to Solution

November 7th, 2019 15:00

XPS 8930, CD player won't record CDs

Hi,

Anybody have some drivers for the cd player on the XPS 8930, it's a PLDS DVD RW DU 8A5LH. It won't actually record onto blank cds! I don't know if it's ever been able to as I've only just tried after owning the machine for a year or so!

Cheers

Greg

November 15th, 2019 11:00

Cheers Ron, sensible suggestions but tried and failed all. Out of guarantee by 6 months. As I said it reads and plays dad's and cds just won't record them. Not worth fretting over,  I've bought a stand alone now which works fine. Cheaper than messing about replacing it.

10 Elder

• 

43.6K Posts

November 7th, 2019 18:00

Drivers for optical disk drives are built into Windows. There are no stand-alone drivers for you to install.

Can the drive read CDs? 

What type of CD disks are you using?

What software are you using to burn those CDs, Win 10 Media Player or something else? 

Do you get an error message?

19 Posts

November 8th, 2019 11:00

hmm, it seems when I first got my 8930se I tried to make a system image on simple discs and it wouldn't do it, but when I went to a dvd+rw it was ok, later when I kept messing with it, it did record on those simple discs, not sure how things stand now as I haven't tried to record for quite a while.

10 Elder

• 

43.6K Posts

November 8th, 2019 12:00

From what I can see, the PLDS DVD RW DU 8A5LH drive listed by @GregRoberts writes to these disks/speed:

DVD+R 8x
DVD+R DL 6x
DVD-R 8x)
DVD-R DL 6x)
DVD+RW 8x
DVD-RW 6x
DVD-RAM 5x
CD-R 24x
CD-RW 24x

So there's a wide choice of compatible disk types. But some brands are just better than others, and some are plain garbage. And some burning software is better than the others too.

November 13th, 2019 00:00

Cheers guys, I've tried three different brands of blank cds and none work, also, three different recording programs. I've decided the best option is buy a stand alone USB dvd/cd recorder. Less hassle as there seems to be no easy solutions. 

November 13th, 2019 01:00

I would also like to say, the Dell dvd players seem to be the flimsiest players ever. Also, why have they been located just below where all the usb cables for the mouse, keyboard etc. hang down? What a daft place to put it couldn't they have located it above the usb sockets?

10 Elder

• 

43.6K Posts

November 13th, 2019 10:00

If you're still under warranty, contact Dell Tech Support for your region for possible drive replacement.

Did you check the power and data connections at both ends (Service Manual)? The optical drive is normally connected to the white SATA port on the motherboard. You could try moving it to the black SATA connector next to the white one.

Is the optical drive correctly recognized in BIOS setup? Is it listed in Device Manager and/or is there any "unknown" device listed in Device Manager?

If not listed in Device Manager, you can try this:

1. Manually set System Restore point, to be safe
  2. Expand IDE ATA/ATAPI controllers in Device Manager
  3. Right-click and uninstall ATA Channel 0
  4. Right-click and uninstall ATA Channel 1
  5. (If no ATA channels listed, uninstall the controller entry, itself)
  6. Reboot

10 Elder

• 

43.6K Posts

November 13th, 2019 10:00

Forgot to mention...

If the optical drive is listed in Device Manager, right-click the drive's entry and  select Uninstall. Then reboot.

Obviously, you'll want to set a System Restore point first...

And read Your CD or DVD drive is not recognized by Windows or other programs too.

No Events found!