Start a Conversation

Unsolved

8 Posts

August 7th, 2018 13:00

XPS 8930, Corsair LPX DDR4-26, running at 2133MHz

Purchased a Dell 8930 outlet PC 2-3 months back; all the specs checked the boxes for me (GTX 1070, i5-8600k, etc). Ram was rather low (only 1x 8GB stick, but that's supposed to be an easy fix). After ordering the PC online, I called Dell support to confirm and they indicated that I'd need DDR4-2666 ram if I later wanted to upgrade.

Recently I got a deal on 4x8GB Corsair LPX DDR4-2666MHz ram and immediately installed. Upon reboot, BIOS indicates ram is running at 2133MHz and not the full 2666MHz. I can not enable XMP in BIOS, only with Intel's Extreme Tuning Utility (and even then, only timing changes but frequency still seems locked at 2133MHz). I enabled XMP through Intel utility, restarted and PC kept turning off before even getting into BIOS... it'd run for only about 2-4 seconds?). Eventually got it to boot properly (after removing motherboard battery, and unplugging all cables and held power button for ~25 seconds) and I immediately disabled XMP to avoid any further headaches.

Just trying to get the ram running at it's full potential. What's going on here?

cpuz.JPG

extremetuning.JPG

8 Wizard

• 

17K Posts

August 7th, 2018 13:00

As long as memory is now running in Dual-Channel, you are good. Even at 2133MHz, that is already very fast. This is how it (OC-ing and XMP) works on similar Alienware motherboard:

https://dell.com/community/Alienware-Desktops/Alienware-Aurora-R7-Memory-Running-At-2133/m-p/6128541/highlight/true#M4743

1 Rookie

• 

3.2K Posts

August 7th, 2018 14:00

I think so, but if it is any consolation the performance difference is probably not noticeable whereas the change from 8GB single channel to 32GB dual channel is definitely an improvement.

So in other words I'm stuck at 2133MHz?

1 Rookie

• 

3.2K Posts

According to this page: https://www.corsair.com/us/en/Categories/Products/Memory/VENGEANCE%C2%AE-LPX-16GB-%282x8GB%29-DDR4-DRAM-2666MHz-C16-Memory-Kit---Black/p/CMK16GX4M2A2666C16

if this is your memory, the tech specs indicates the SPD (serial presence detect) speed is 2133MHz and the tested speed is 2666MHz. It appears the motherboard is setting the speed based upon the SPD speed. I have seen others report similar issue when you cannot use XMP in the BIOS.

After reading the posts in the link provided, I'm still unclear on what you're suggesting.

I made sure that BIOS was most recent version (1.0.10). Went to BIOS "Advanced" tab, selected "Performance Options" and enabled "Overclocking Feature" but kept "Core Overclocking Level #" disabled for now. No reported difference in ram speed in CPUZ or Intel tuning utility. I'll enable Core-OC in BIOS, and assuming the system is stable, I will then try XMP in the Intel tuning utility (which is what caused the system to repeatedly crash before). I'm not seeing an XMP option in my BIOS

August 7th, 2018 17:00

This may be helpful to someone else in the future so I'll post all of my findings. Did some fiddling with the Intel utility since there's no XMP option in my BIOS, and selecting the "XMP" profile in the Intel Extreme Tuning utility does nothing for ram frequency and adjusts timing only. I tried the default XMP profile; rebooted and confirmed in BIOS and CPUZ that ram frequency was unchanged at 2133mhz.

I was able to create a custom memory tuning profile - that mirrored the default XMP profile - except with the addition of "memory multiplier" option which I was able to successfully increase from 16x (2133mhz) to 20x (2666mhz). Rebooted, confirmed in BIOS and CPUZ that ram is now running at 2666mhz.

Hopefully this helps someone else

cpuz2.JPG

August 7th, 2018 17:00

This may be helpful to someone else in the future so I'll post all of my findings. Did some fiddling with the Intel utility since there's no XMP option in my BIOS, and selecting the "XMP" profile in the Intel Extreme Tuning utility does nothing for ram frequency and adjusts timing only. I tried the default XMP profile; rebooted and confirmed in BIOS and CPUZ that ram frequency was unchanged at 2133MHz.

I was able to create a custom memory tuning profile - that mirrored the default XMP profile - except with the addition of "memory multiplier" option which I was able to successfully increase from 16x (2133MHz) to 20x (2666MHz). Rebooted, confirmed in BIOS and CPUZ that ram is now running at 2666MHz.

Hopefully this helps someone else

cpuz2.JPG

Community Manager

• 

54.3K Posts

August 8th, 2018 09:00

Good that you found a workaround for the 4x8GB Corsair LPX DDR4-2666MHz. To compare to the Corsair LPX DDR4-26 screenshots, did you happen to save a CPU-Z screenshot of our OEM Y7N41 8GB stick? The SPD and Memory tabs?

XPS 8930 OEM Y7N41 8GB stick =
DDR4, 2666MHz, 1RX8, 8G, 1Gx64, 8K, 288Pin, Single Rank, Unbuffered, 1.2v, Non-ECC
Hynix HMA81GU6CJR8N-VK
Kingston KY7N41-MIE
Micron MTA8ATF1G64AZ-2G6E1
Micron MTA8ATF1G64AZ-2G6H1

August 8th, 2018 10:00

I do not have screenshots for the OEM stick

3 Posts

August 16th, 2018 17:00

I have the same issue, can you elabrate a little bit more about how to create a custom memory tuning profile that mirrored the default XMP profile? thanks

732 Posts

October 17th, 2018 08:00

No picture showing here.

October 17th, 2018 08:00

Using the Intel Extreme Tuning Utility, go to Advanced Tuning -> Memory. I can't make any suggestions for what works on another system - as it may become unstable - but here's what I did:

Select "Profile 1: XMP", take a screenshot of the settings.

Select "Custom", now overwrite the default "custom" settings with the ones from the screenshot (XMP profile). I also had to set "Memory Multiplier" to "20x" to achieve 2666mhz. Save your settings (right side of Intel Extreme Tuning Utility window).

I've attached a screenshot to show my settingsCapture.JPG

October 17th, 2018 09:00

I can see the screenshot that I posted, I've checked after logging in from two different devices. Unless you're running an identical setup, the screenshot won't matter since you're not using the same settings.

Follow the instructions in the previous post. You'll have to download the "Intel Extreme Tuning Utility" if you don't already have it -- https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/24075/Intel-Extreme-Tuning-Utility-Intel-XTU-

Using the Intel Extreme Tuning Utility, go to Advanced Tuning -> Memory. I can't make any suggestions for what works on another system - as it may become unstable - but here's what I did:

Select "Custom", now overwrite the default "custom" settings with the ones from the screenshot (XMP profile). I also had to set "Memory Multiplier" to "20x" to achieve 2666mhz. Save your settings (right side of Intel Extreme Tuning Utility window).

732 Posts

October 17th, 2018 09:00

@tamadrumr88 wrote:

I can see the screenshot that I posted, I've checked after logging in from two different devices. Unless you're running an identical setup, the screenshot won't matter since you're not using the same settings.

Follow the instructions in the previous post. You'll have to download the "Intel Extreme Tuning Utility" if you don't already have it -- https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/24075/Intel-Extreme-Tuning-Utility-Intel-XTU-

Select "Custom", now overwrite the default "custom" settings with the ones from the screenshot (XMP profile). I also had to set "Memory Multiplier" to "20x" to achieve 2666mhz. Save your settings (right side of Intel Extreme Tuning Utility window).

That sounds like a lot of work, I would try another method so we all can see it.

10 Elder

• 

43.6K Posts

October 17th, 2018 16:00

Only the user who posts an image on this forum can see it, at least until that image is reviewed by a forum moderator. It will eventually be visible to everyone, and I can see the screenshot posted by @tamadrumr88.

No Events found!