Start a Conversation

Unsolved

Closed

W3

4 Posts

April 30th, 2020 08:00

XPS 8930, Fan Noise LOUD!

Hello,

I just bought an XPS 8930 and the fans are almost constantly running. On top of that, the fans are LOUD and can be heard over 20 feet away. Also, the PC runs the fans up to full speed even when the screen is dimmed because I haven't taken any action for 5+ minutes.

I've upgraded the BIOS to v1.1.13 and all the drivers that Microsoft and Dell recommended but that didn't help in any way.

I'm running the PC in about a 70 degree (F) environment, so not even close to hot.

Anyone have any idea as to how to fix this problem? I'm extremely sad that if this fan noise issue can't be resolved, the PC will have to be sent back to Dell.

258 Posts

May 14th, 2020 19:00

@mermuz 

CPU does work and gets hot... fans rev up.  That much is normal.

Make sure your CPU cooler fan is working.

If you care to, disassemble your CPU cooler to confirm that the heatsink is properly installed with thermal paste/tape/pad.

GK

1 Message

January 14th, 2021 19:00

@Waterboy-32 I had this terrible loud fan noise problem for few weeks. Tried everything. Only above approach worked for me. Thank you so much!!!

3 Posts

October 4th, 2023 11:47

in 2023 I finally upgrade to 8700k version heatsink like some people here did

finally I can let it go to 4.00GHz and not being noisy 

going 4.28GHz still noisy 

I am disappointed that Dell HK didn't allow me to buy the K version heatsink, because I didn't buy k version cpu at first. I finally got it from some chinese website.

dell that didn't test their machine before selling it

reference photo:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZLKGSKcPAzU&ab_channel=TechReality

(edited)

No Events found!