Start a Conversation

Unsolved

M

1 Rookie

• 

116 Posts

June 17th, 2020 17:00

XPS 8930 I/O Boot Problem

I purchased a new Dell XPS SE 8930 desktop about a week ago.  It has the SE 850-watt power supply, i9 9900 8 core 16MB Cache CPU, 32 gig DDR4 266 memory, 2TB M.2 PCIe NVMe SSD, GeForce RTX 2080 Super 8GB GDDR6, Blue Ray disc player, Killer Bluetooth and Wi-Fi.  It came with Win 10 Home and I updated it to Win 10 PRO using an old Win 8 PRO install disc key.

I have installed the Noctua 120mm fans in the bottom front and top fan positions and they are working fine.  However, not long after updating and before powering up the new fans, I received an error message on boot up from the Dell BIOS support assist. The message basically says the program has detected a problem that needs immediate attention.

Error Code 2000-0716 Validation 81463. Check following cable.  Alert! Front I/O cable failure.  It does this every time I turn the computer on or reboot and shows the same message.  The only difference is at times the Validation number changes from 81463 to 109148 or 76449. 

Information on the screen also shows sys BIOS 1.1.13 ePSA: build 4306.25 UEFI ROM.  At the bottom of the screen it has a box with “CONTINUE” highlighted and you can click on it and proceed to booting Win 10 PRO with no problem.  However, every time you turn the computer on or restart, it goes through this same routine.

I have gone into BIOS under advanced settings and disabled the 2 items pertaining to system support assist, but this does not fix the problem.  I have run the dell System Support Assist software and it does not find any problems with the system checks, including the long one that takes 30-40 minutes.

I have checked the I/O 4 pin cable can not find any problem with it.  Every item on the front panel works fine.  The power button, SD card reader, the mic input, the earplug input, the type C input and the three USB inputs all work fine.  I have not tried the procedure of taking the BIOS battery out, discharging the power and reinstalling the battery.  I thought I would see what some of you very well-informed people thought might be the culprit before I deal with DELL support.  Thanks for any help.

1 Rookie

• 

116 Posts

June 19th, 2020 18:00

@John-JayWell thanks for figuring that out.  I knew when I first fired up this system it showed up, but during all the setup and problems with the I/O mess I probably changed something under the view menu.  Now I need to do a regedit for the removable drives showing twice in Explorer.  BTW, I have not had any boot problems since it quit doing it.  Still not sure exactly what the source of the problem was but it was either a loose cable connection or the way I had hooked the fans up to the splitter the first time.  Thanks to all of you that helped.  There is a lot of knowledgeable contributors in this forum.  

4 Operator

• 

3.2K Posts

August 3rd, 2020 09:00

The forum post claims that clearing the BIOS fixed the problem but the BIOS version is different from yours.

1 Rookie

• 

116 Posts

August 3rd, 2020 09:00

I thought I would update this thread and pass along info on what I have tried since the last post.  I never marked this as having a final resolution because I have not been able to resolve it.  I am still getting the Same Dell Support I/O error code 2000-0716 every time it boots.  I have tried all suggestions and at one time it booted a few times without the error.  However, it is still booting with the same error.  As noted originally, I can just hit "CONTINUE" and it boots into windows with no problem.

I finally disconnected power to the new Noctua bottom fan I had installed, and I took the top Noctua fan out and reinstalled the factory fan.  In other words, it is just like it came from Dell.  It still shows the same I/O error message every time it boots.  I have just lived with it.  I have not involved Dell Support with it yet, so I thought I would ask a few more questions in this forum first.

I have not installed the new BIOS 1.1.15  (running 1.1.13) because I wanted to try to resolve this problem first.  I have checked all the MB connections numerous times as well as the top front panel and all the connections.  All connectors are seated, and I still get the I/O error.

As for the front top panel functions, the SD card slot reads and writes fine, the earphone jack works with earphones, the type "C" connection works fine and all 3 of the USB connections work with no problems.  The microphone front input works and I can hear it through my external speakers.  I don’t use Cortana and I don’t have any installed programs that use the microphone.  However, I “assume” since it shows up when plugged in and I can hear it, the front panel jack works.  Also, the DVD Blue Ray player works fine, plays, records, ejects etc.

So, with the stock top fan installed and the bottom Noctua disconnected, it appears to me that everything is working but I still get the I/O 2000-0716 error every boot. I have a few questions for some of you truly knowledgeable people in here.

The message that comes up at booting looks similar to bios pages, but it is red, white and blue large lettering.  Is this generated from something in the bios, or is it coming from something Dell has installed in Windows?

I see many people say they just uninstall Dell Support programs. Are they talking about the Dell programs installed in Windows, the bios, or both?

I am leaning toward going ahead and letting Dell Support look at it online etc and see what they think before I do anything else.  I don’t want to install the new BIOS until I get this resolved.

BTW, another reason I want to get this resolved concerns windows updates from Microsoft.  I usually don’t install the updates until they have been out for a week or two.  This gives me time to see if there are any problems with the update. 

However, as you know, at times there are several  “reboots” involved in these updates.  I observe the updates during the entire process. On one or two of them the I/O error 2000-0716 pops up and I hit “continue”.  I am concerned that this could become a problem if I were not monitoring.  I don’t know if the notice goes away after so many seconds or not?  TIA for any ideas.  I am currently running Win Version 2004-OS BUILD 19041.388.

10 Elder

• 

44.3K Posts

August 3rd, 2020 10:00

You did do all those fan mods...

The XPS 8930 Service Manual has instructions about removing the top I/O panel and talks about that cable, if that's of any help.

If you don't want somebody coming to the house, you may be able to ship it back for service which might include more than just replacing the I/O cable, if necessary, as long as the PC is still under warranty...

1 Rookie

• 

116 Posts

RoHe, I agree with you that I probably do need to do that.  I just hate to have someone come in and do this with this COVID mess still active.  I think I could probably do it myself, but if I do and it doesn't work or gets worse, Dell may say it is now my problem. Keep hoping it might just "fix it's self" one day.  HA HA!

1 Rookie

• 

116 Posts

I saw that post and followed it after it was posted.  My machine was delivered in June of this year.  It came with BIOS 1.1.13.  I don't know anything about the version he posted about or how old his machine is.  I have cleared and reset BIOS several times on mine after trying different things.  However it did not correct the I/O error 2000-0716 problem.

10 Elder

• 

44.3K Posts

Except that thread says BIOS 1.1.16 but there's never been a BIOS 1.1.16 for the XPS 8930.

The most recent version (July'2020) is only 1.1.15 so who knows what version of BIOS that OP actually had...?

1 Rookie

• 

116 Posts

I agree.  His original post states BIOS ver 1.1.6, not 1.1.16.  Maybe 1.1.6 was what came on his.

10 Elder

• 

44.3K Posts

Time to ask Dell Support to replace that I/O cable?

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

August 3rd, 2020 16:00

They never said it was from Dell. Anyway Dell has the 8940 now. Amazon and other retail stores have the 8930.

10 Elder

• 

44.3K Posts

August 3rd, 2020 16:00

@Anonymous wrote:

They never said it was from Dell. Anyway Dell has the 8940 now. Amazon and other retail stores have the 8930.

Doesn't matter. PC is under warranty as long as the user restores it to factory state (eg removes all add-in mods) before getting it serviced. 

And if purchased from a 3rd-party, not directly from Dell, user just has to do a retail product registration of the Service Tag to qualify for the factory warranty.

No Events found!