Start a Conversation

Solved!

Go to Solution

November 3rd, 2020 14:00

XPS 8930, I just want to upgrade my NVMe SSD

There are lots of threads in this forum about changing out the Toshiba nvme SSD that came with the XPS8930, but lots of permutations and variables, so I want to make sure I have this straight before I start playing around with my computer.

I have a 256gb Toshiba nvme SSD and a 1tb HDD.  I am running out of space on the SSD and want to get a 1tb nvme SSD to replace it.  (I know that some of the better SSD's want their own drivers run on AHCI rather than RAID and I already have switched my system to AHCI, so that much is ready to go.) 

I have migrated from HDD's to SDD's before, using software supplied by Samsung, but haven't tried going from an SSD to another SSD and it doesn't look quite as transparent, at least based on what I have read here.

I know that I can create an iso with Macrium Reflect that is a copy of the existing SSD, but how do I actually get that on to the new SSD after I replace the old one? 

Do I image the SSD or clone it? 

Can I image or clone the entire SSD or do I have to do this for each partition? 

Then, to copy over the old SSD contents to the new one, do I have to use a PCIE adaptor and place the new SSD in it for copying?  Alternatively, am I to create a bootable USB stick or DVD and copy from it after booting from it?

I gather that I also can buy an external USB case for the drive and copy to that, but, since those cost at least $40 or so, I would prefer not to invest that much in something that I probably will use just once.

I'd appreciate any guidance you good folks might be able to provide!  Thanks. 

4 Operator

• 

3.2K Posts

November 3rd, 2020 15:00

@Mike Rubin My response in this post may answer some of your questions.

"Can I image or clone the entire SSD or do I have to do this for each partition?" I would use Macrium Reflect Free Edition to image each partition, the reason is that since the new SSD is larger you will what to resize the C partition when it is restored to the new SSD. I would restore the partitions in the same order as on the old SSD.

"Then, to copy over the old SSD contents to the new one, do I have to use a PCIE adaptor and place the new SSD in it for copying?  Alternatively, am I to create a bootable USB stick or DVD and copy from it after booting from it?" You don't need an M.2 to USB adapter or a PCIe adapter, you just remove your old SSD and install your new SSD. With the imaged partitions of the old SSD on your HDD, you boot the Rescue Media you created in Macrium Reflect to restore the images from the HDD to the new SSD. 

• 

25.7K Posts

November 3rd, 2020 15:00

Thank you! We have received the required details. We will work towards a resolution. In the meantime, you may also receive assistance or suggestions from the community members.

November 3rd, 2020 16:00

Thanks, Vic. I think I can manage that! 

10 Elder

• 

44.3K Posts

November 11th, 2020 17:00

Let us know how it goes...

BTW: Users can't delete their posts and can only edit them for a limited time (while it's marked with a yellow flag in the thread.)

Okay, my SSD arrived and I tried this.  It works, EXCEPT that I was unable to find an option that would allow me to increase the size of the OS partition upon restore.  No big deal, I thought, as I would be able to merge partitions once I got the new drive up and running. 

It does not appear that I am able to do that.  Using Windows Storage Manager does not give an option for changing the size of or merging partitions.  EASEUS Partition Manager does pretend to allow a new partition to be merged with the OS partition if I delete the three partitions that are between them, but, then, it doesn't actually succeed in merging them. 

The point of this effort was to increase the size of the OS partition, so I guess I can try to reformat the SSD and see if there's a way in Macrium to increase the OS partition size as I restore it.

Thanks. Just ducked back on to delete the post because I think I have figured this out, but you beat me to it. :). Macrium is restoring to a larger partition now, so I should know if this worked in about ten minutes or so.

10 Elder

• 

44.3K Posts

Read how to do this with Macrium Reflect.

November 11th, 2020 18:00

Thus far, it doesn't seem to be working.  My original drive had six partitions. I imaged each of them separately. I restored the first two "as is." The third one was the OS, to which I added about 700 gb. (I am going from 256gb to 1tb.) Then, I added the fourth, fifth and sixth "as is."

Tried to reboot. Windows was stuck on "attempting repairs" for a really long time and finally failed. Same problem on the reboot, so I booted into Macrium again, deleted the partitions, restored them the same way as I explained above, but same result.

My computer now is unbootable. I will try Macrium again, but I think I will try just the original image, double check that I have backed up all data that I need to restore and have copied all software license keys so I can revalidate, and then will do a fresh Windows install. 

November 11th, 2020 21:00

The third time was the charm. I resized conservatively, so I have about 13gb left over that seemingly never can be joined to any other partition, but the OS disc is at 900gb, which is fine with me. Thanks for the help, folks. Much appreciated. 

10 Elder

• 

44.3K Posts

November 12th, 2020 12:00

No Events found!