Start a Conversation

Solved!

Go to Solution

December 28th, 2019 15:00

XPS 8930, Kensington lock port in plastic, seems easy to break

I want to use a Kensington cable lock on my new 8930. I went to connect it and noticed that it goes into the plastic latch handle on the back of the CPU, at the top. It seems to me that someone could aggressively break this plastic handle and walk off with the machine. On my old Dell CPU, the lock went into the metal frame on the back on the machine.

Is it stronger than it looks?

8930 Kensington lock in plastic handle8930 Kensington lock in plastic handle

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

December 28th, 2019 16:00

@PaulQ99   Is it stronger than it looks?

There is a metal component under that plastic that is riveted to the case. It is stronger than it looks.

(click photo to embiggen)

kensington lock.jpg

8 Wizard

• 

17K Posts

December 28th, 2019 18:00

It's none of my business if this is your house or work but please be careful ... it sounds like a rough place. 

15 Posts

December 28th, 2019 21:00

LOL... Sort of both. I have never worried about it until this machine. I am not a muscular guy and I was thinking I could probably just snap this out of the plastic so what's the point?

I only expect basic protection from a cable lock. Sounds like it has it. I'll cancel the contract with the armed guard company.

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

December 29th, 2019 13:00

@PaulQ99   It's a bit hard to see the handle . . .

The handle has been removed from the case in the photo (along with everything else).

The metal component in the red circle is underneath the handle and attached to the case; that is what you will 'lock into'. Click on the photo to enlarge.

15 Posts

December 29th, 2019 13:00

Thanks for posting that photo. It's a bit hard to see the handle but I think I see metal there. Very nice of you!

1 Message

December 17th, 2023 01:32

@PaulQ99​ Hey, can you provide a link to the lock that you purchased for the Dell XPS 8930?

No Events found!