Start a Conversation

Solved!

Go to Solution

August 14th, 2018 17:00

XPS 8930, Killer E2400/2500 ethernet, max 20 Mbps

Internet speeds seems to be capped at 20 Mbps even though I have a 1GB Fiber internet connection. I have tested with other computers connected to the same router/switch and all other internet speed test I've done have been at least 600 Mbps. This occurs with all speed test sites, like speedtest.net..

My XPS 8930 connects with a 1GB ethernet connection within the LAN, and I have tested this with iperf to my Synology 1817+, with results consistently around 980mbps. Large file downloads from the Synology 1817+ to the XPS 8930 also average at 118MB/s, so the network card and LAN are not the issue.

I know this issue is specifically with the XPS 8930 because I also have several other XPS 8930 PC's in the office, and I just completed doing speed tests with them yesterday.  All of them were also capped at 20 Mbps as well. Other PC's (non XPS 8930) in the office speed test at close to the limit of our internet connection in the office.

I've already run the Dell SupportAssist and updated all drivers, bios, etc. to the latest versions.  Windows 10 is also fully updated.

I have not been able to find any settings within Windows 10 or any of the Dell software that would limit this.  Does anyone have a clue?

I've already sent a support request to Dell, but even though I have Next Business Day on-site premium support, the issue is still unassigned after 2 days.

August 14th, 2018 18:00

After searching for 2 days, I finally found the solution to this issue. It was the Killer Control Center that is limiting the bandwidth. By default, the Killer Control Center- Settings- System Settings- Advanced Stream Detect is set to OnTurning it Off fixed the issue.

KillerAdvancedStreamDetect.JPG

4 Posts

August 15th, 2018 06:00

Interesting.  I've had my XPS 8930 for just 5 days.  I did notice my max download speeds never seemed to go above about 20 meg.  Somehow, last night that changed without my doing anything.  The large Windows 10 April, 2018 update came down at 90-100 mbps.  I did nothing, but I had just added a Samsung 970 Evo to the system.

I'll remember your tip if things slow down again!

5 Posts

August 27th, 2018 06:00

Thank you for this. I have waster hours trying to find the cause, and so has Telstra Support in Australia as we traced every possible causes of slowdowns. 

It is disappointing that Dell set up the system to limit the bandwidth in this way, without alerting users!

1 Rookie

• 

18 Posts

October 10th, 2018 09:00

Go to Killer networks site.  Uninstall the control center.  It is garbage.  Install the latest driver which ends in 48.  My Dell came with a driver that ends in 46 and Dell would not update it. Use device manager to verify your driver version.  I have google fiber and am now approaching 900 mg/sec.  Before I was around 500.  Leave the control center uninstalled.  If you must install it, the new version is in the Microsoft app store.

March 4th, 2019 16:00

Thanks for verifying this. I just hooked up my XPS 8930 yesterday, and was appalled that I was only getting about 20 mbs download speeds.  I went into Services and did a little experimenting, disabling services and testing speed to see if it made any difference.  On about the 5th stab, I disabled Killer, and my download speed jumped to 470 mbs.  After reading your post I re-enabled it and turned off advance stream detect, and my speed is still at 470.  So for now I'm keeping it this way.

Question to anyone who'd care to answer - is it worth keeping this Killer app, or would I be better off just deleting it?  Is it doing anything for me in its current state with advance stream detect turned off?

8 Wizard

• 

17K Posts

March 4th, 2019 19:00

@LarryInSeattle wrote:

After reading your post I re-enabled it and turned off advance stream detect, and my speed is still at 470.  So for now I'm keeping it this way.

Question to anyone who'd care to answer - is it worth keeping this Killer app, or would I be better off just deleting it?  Is it doing anything for me in its current state with advance stream detect turned off?

Commonly reported problem.

Now you know why they call it "Killer" because it kills your network speed. :Crying:

I just tell people to uninstall all that nonsense. 

February 15th, 2024 17:07

For my optiplex 790 (20mbps on wired and wifi) fix was

netsh int tcp set global autotuninglevel=normal

ref: https://www.reddit.com/r/buildapc/comments/db24fw/comment/i16t99t/?utm_source=share&utm_medium=web2x&context=3
No Events found!