Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

August 2nd, 2018 20:00

XPS 8930, Nvidia GTX 1060, Dual monitor

Can somebody please help me setup to use both my Screens? I have one plugged into the Card DVI, and one plugged into the HDMI slot on back of computer. Doesn't see 2nd and i find nothing in the bios to enable onboard video.  Also i see the other adapter in Device Manger as "Intel(R) UHD Graphics 630"

Please assist.

8 Wizard

• 

17K Posts

August 3rd, 2018 21:00

@MichaelSpeegle wrote:

1. I am so sorry for wasting your time, well actually you solved it.  I am totally embarrassed, i been building computers for many years, and I am a Developer by trade.  LOL Its a double slot card.  haha  from eye level you cant see the 4 connectors above the 2nd slot that only has a DVI.  

2. Just out of curiosity what are the other 3 that are wider than HDMI.  Will this support more than 2 monitors ?

1. Well, you are a good-sport for admitting it.  :Smile:

So, you redeemed yourself. Here, have a beer  :Beer:

2. Those are DisplayPort. Actually DisplayPort is what replaces DVI for high-resolution computers monitors. I would use those over HDMI (if I had a choice). HDMI is really a consumer-centric home-theater (like HDTV) port. It's there for compatibility and because everyone went HDMI-crazy.

Yes, I think you can run at least 3 monitors off a GTX-1060.

DVI is fine for 1080p/1200p (no better than DisplayPort since it's already Digital).

August 3rd, 2018 22:00

Awesome thanks i found some connectors Display port to anything on Amazon.

thanks a lot.

August 2nd, 2018 21:00

How do i do that if it only has one DVI connector on it ?

Will a DVI splitter work on this?  DMS-59?

8 Wizard

• 

17K Posts

Personally, I would connect them both to the GTX-1060. Yes, DVI is good.

In Windows, "Extend the Displays" and one is Primary.

8 Wizard

• 

17K Posts

August 2nd, 2018 22:00

@MichaelSpeegle wrote:

How do i do that if it only has one DVI connector on it ?

Describe available ...

Ports on GTX-1060:

Ports on Monitor #1:

Ports on Monitor #2:

4 Operator

• 

3.2K Posts

August 3rd, 2018 04:00

You cannot use the integrated graphics if you have a discrete graphics card installed. You must connect both monitors to the graphics card. As Tesla1856 wrote, tell us what ports are available on the graphics card and what ports are available on the monitors and what video cables you have.

August 3rd, 2018 10:00

I have one DVI port on the GTX 1060 only

4 Operator

• 

3.2K Posts

August 3rd, 2018 14:00

he picture in the XPS 8930 Setup and Specifications doc shows a graphics card with three ports, DVI, HDMI, and VGA. The doc does not say what is pictured is a GTX 1060. Are you sure your GTX 1060 only has a single port? Retail GTX 1060s usually has three ports, DVI, DP, and HDMI, but if yours came directly from Dell it is most likely an OEM card, but it should still have three port. It would be very unusual otherwise. Also you did not say what ports are available on your monitors.

4 Operator

• 

3.2K Posts

August 3rd, 2018 16:00

I don't know how to say this any other way without questioning what you are looking at but this product description page: https://www.dell.com/en-us/shop/dell-desktop-computers/xps-tower/spd/xps-8930-desktop/dxcwvmax004hb

says under Ports & Slots, "NVIDIA® GeForce® GTX 1060 6GB GDDR5: 3x DisplayPort 1.3 (1.4 Ready), HDMI 2.0, Dual Link DVI-D"

August 3rd, 2018 16:00

Yes i am absolutely positive, i was looking at same picture and was fooled.

its not the one that has adapter and is all pins, its the one that has pens and a horizontal one.

Also my monitors will do DVI or VGA  and i also have adapter cable from DVI to HDMI.

8 Wizard

• 

17K Posts

August 3rd, 2018 19:00

@MichaelSpeegle wrote:

I (only) have one DVI port on the GTX 1060 

Possibly, but there must be other ports on the GTX-1060. Look closely or take a picture. Mini-DisplayPorts are much smaller.

August 3rd, 2018 20:00

I am so sorry for wasting your time, well actually you solved it.  I am totally embarrassed, i been building computers for many years, and I am a Developer by trade.  LOL Its a double slot card.  haha  from eye level you cant see the 4 connectors above the 2nd slot that only has a DVI.  

Just out of curiosity what are the other 3 that are wider than HDMI.  Will this support more than 2 monitors ?

I am adding a picture please if you know tell me what the other 3 connectors are.

Again i am so sorry for acting like a newb

GTX1060-Ports.jpg

4 Operator

• 

3.2K Posts

August 4th, 2018 03:00

I am happy you solved your problem. It seems this card does match the description of the GTX 1060 on their website, 3 Display Port, 1 HDMI, and 1 DVI connection.

4 Posts

August 8th, 2018 05:00

Not true, my second monitor is plugged into the computer's HDMI and works, with my main monitor plugged into the 1070ti

No Events found!