Start a Conversation

Solved!

Go to Solution

February 18th, 2020 14:00

XPS 8930, RTX 2070 Super, compatible? #2

Hello,

Simple question. Can I upgrade from my GTX1070 to the RTX 2070 Super?

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

February 27th, 2020 11:00

@Alle82    dude, I did not understand a word of whay you said.

There is nothing wrong with upgrading to the 2080 Super and 850 watt PSU . . . however, in my opinion, you will need to also do something about cooling your CPU.

19 Posts

February 27th, 2020 11:00

dude, I did not understand a word of whay you said.

From the tone of your email, it sounds it is a bad idea doing this upgrade for overheating issues.

I could try and then if comes to overheating I could opt for swapping the case...

I am really regretting buying Dell.

19 Posts

February 27th, 2020 12:00

Thanks

I asked Dell for these parts

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BMmCb6gBW-8 

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

February 27th, 2020 16:00

@Alle82    I asked Dell for these parts

That will work . . . and as previously mentioned, make sure you have a 120mm top exhaust fan and consider adding a 120mm lower front intake fan.

19 Posts

February 29th, 2020 01:00

Dear @Anonymous 

I have been following all your posts , don't worry

I do have a 120 mm as top fan , I have been chasing dell for an additional quote for another 120 MM to install on the bottom of the case.

Part Number: 7M0F5, 07M0F5
NEW Genuine Dell Alienware Aurora R5 Front Case Fan w Plastic Bracket 7M0F5

My understanding is that the plastic Bracket would fit fine without any case mod.

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

February 29th, 2020 10:00

@Alle82    My understanding is that the plastic Bracket would fit fine without any case mod.

That is correct . . . snaps right in place.

If you purchase the bracket in that link, it will come with an OEM Dell industrial grade server fan. This is better than no fan at all, however, consider getting something better quality like the Corsair ML120 Pro or a quiet 120mm Noctua fan.

Were you able to get the blower style fan/heatsink for your CPU?

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

@Alle82    a lot of work next week for this upgrade

Take your time . . . make it fun and enjoyable. Take some photos and share

. . . Good Luck!

19 Posts

Yes, a lot of work next week for this upgrade

19 Posts

March 2nd, 2020 14:00

Hello @Anonymous , sorry to bother you again.

how  would I power the additional  Fan? Do I need to plug that in the Power supply ?

Do i need an additional adapter?

Like this one?

SATA to 3 x 4-Pin PWM Sleeved Fan Power Adapter Cable

Also, can I remove the fan from the bracket or should I have purchased the bracket separetely?

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

March 2nd, 2020 14:00

@Alle82  how would I power the additional Fan? Do I need to plug that in the Power supply ?  Do i need an additional adapter?  Like this one?  SATA to 3 x 4-Pin PWM Sleeved Fan Power Adapter Cable

If you ended up getting that Corsair 850 watt PSU, it is fully modular, and will include both Molex and SATA power cables. You can use either one to power the front fan. If you choose SATA, you will need an adapter cable like the one you mention above. If you choose Molex, you will need a Molex to 3-pin fan adapter cable. There is no need for PWM, as the fan will not be modulated, however, PWM will not hurt either, if that is the cable you get. Since you have to use the SATA power cable to connect to your optical drive, you can power the fan from that same SATA cable, as there will be multiple connectors on each SATA power cable. This would be the same SATA power cable you will need for the SATA 15-pin to 6-pin slimline adapter cable.

Another option would be a Y-splitter cable. This would plug into the Top Fan connector on the mobo, and power both the top fan and the front fan.

PWM Y Cable.JPG

Also, can I remove the fan from the bracket or should I have purchased the bracket separetely?

The existing OEM fan will pop right out of the bracket, and you can replace it with a better fan. Try to have your fan power solution resolved first, so you will know the best orientation for the fan power cable to reach your power source.

sorry to bother you again.

No bother at all. Please ask further if any of the above is not clear.

19 Posts

March 3rd, 2020 11:00

Dear @Anonymous 

I think I made a mistake ...

Alle82_0-1583263978505.png

When I try to put the heatsink , it will touch that connector not allowing to screw the component on the motherboard..... please help

This is the component

Alle82_0-1583264204202.png

Alle82_1-1583264222840.png

19 Posts

March 3rd, 2020 13:00

I figured out I needed to install the new Power supply even though my RTX 2080 S has not arrived yet..

I did replace that and now it fits..

However.. 

now I am stuck at this point.. 

how do I plug the fan on the motherboard.

Probably you are having fun at reading my posts.. as you can see I am a noob!

Alle82_0-1583272335554.png

Should I have plugged the fan connector first , then connect the hotsink and then attach the fan??

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

March 3rd, 2020 13:00

@Alle82    When I try to put the heatsink , it will touch that connector not allowing to screw the component on the motherboard..... please help

I thought you were going to upgrade to the Corsair 850 watt PSU?

Bend the wires coming out of the CPU power connector and the Top Fan power connector, and tuck them under the fan for clearance.

. . . from the   Exhaust Fan & PSU Upgrade Thread 

image.png

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

March 3rd, 2020 14:00

@Alle82    Should I have plugged the fan connector first , then connect the hotsink and then attach the fan??

Your photo is not visible until moderator approved, but I think if you go back and review the thread I posted, I explain the process of reconnecting the CPU fan and heatsink assembly. It is a little tricky.

Everybody is a noob in the beginning. That thread I referenced is the first computer modifications I had ever done, so it is written by a 'noob'.

19 Posts

March 3rd, 2020 14:00

Dear @Anonymous  I am almost there, 

I have 2 questions :

-when plugging in the ATX 24 PIN , I noticed  that on the other hand there are 2 connectors.. Should I plug both on the PSU?

- Can I plug in the GTX 1070 on the motherboard powered up by the Corsair 850 ? Or am I going to cook it...

My RTX 2080 S has not arrived yet.

Or is it safer to start the machine without graphic card ? I just want to test the new cooling system.. 

Cheers

No Events found!