Start a Conversation

Unsolved

A

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

August 2nd, 2020 09:00

XPS 8930 Recovery

Problem with Support Assist Recovery on XPS 8930.
I hit the F12 Key at startup and select Support Assist recovery it goes to a blue screen
for about a minute then the system shuts down. This is an ongoing issue Dell has not
resolved. Please do not delete this post. I have attached photo's of the issue. I also have a 

Video but was unable to upload. The system stays on the below blue screen about a minute this shuts down. Also this was marked as spam  today this is my 3rd or 4th time posting. It keeps getting marked as spam. Please do not mark as spam this is a real issue that Dell has not resolved I need to get into the Support Assist recovery to backup files. 

Picture 2.jpgPicture 3.jpg

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

August 2nd, 2020 12:00

@Vic384 

The first option is what I am trying to do. Not the OS Recovery tool. I want to "FIX" the issue with Support Assist recovery. I do not need to recover my OS yet. But when I do I want to use the Support Assist not a clean Windows install. I want to have all the Dell programs my system came with. How do I fix the issue with the system shutting down when trying to boot to Support Assist OS Recovery? I read something about BIOS connect but I see no option in my BIOS for BIOS connect.

4 Operator

• 

3.2K Posts

August 2nd, 2020 12:00

I assume you are trying to assess SupportAssist OS Recovery because you wish to recover your OS. If the recovery image partition on your boot drive is corrupted or missing this will not work. See this article.

If SupportAssist OS Recovery does not work, another option is to download the OS recovery tool. See this article.

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

August 2nd, 2020 13:00

I got a message saying you sent a PM. I click on the PM and get the following error in a red box
====================================================================================
The item you are trying to access is not available.

====================================================================================
I was having issues today on this forum. I would make the post then it would get marked as spam for some reason. But I did not get the PM you sent.

4 Operator

• 

3.2K Posts

August 2nd, 2020 14:00

The article I previously linked to did say that if the recovery image (partition) is corrupted or deleted SupportAssist OS Recovery may not work. You could use Disk Management to check to see if the Recovery partition exists, but it will not tell you if it is corrupted. 

Also check out this section from Dell SupportAssist OS Recovery User's Guide page 24, Troubleshoot OS Recovery boot failure

The section describe settings required in the BIOS section called SupportAssist System Resolution.

4 Operator

• 

3.2K Posts

I  am out of ideas as to why SupportAssist OS Recovery does not work. If you can't get it to work perhaps it is not the best tool for backing up your files.

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

The Recovery partition exists. And everything is enabled in the BIOS.

• 

25.7K Posts

August 2nd, 2020 15:00

We have not received your email with requested video as I see it was blocked. Could you try sending it again?

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

August 2nd, 2020 15:00

@DELL-Cares 

I just sent the Video again. I don't know why it was blocked. It seems I am having issues on this forum. Sometimes my post get marked as spam. 

Like I just tried to post this and get an error.

"Correct the highlighted errors and try again."

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

August 2nd, 2020 16:00

@Vic384 

I have uploaded a video to YouTube here I do not know if that @DELL-Cares is a real person. They said I could upload to YouTube. They are still not understanding the issue is just a Blue screen (not BSOD) there if a difference. After the blue screen abaout 45 seconds it shuts down as you see in the video.

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

August 2nd, 2020 19:00

@Anonymous 

Have you updated this latest from July 22, 2020?

https://www.dell.com/support/home/en-us/product-support/product/xps-8930-desktop/drivers 

It sounds relevant to your interests.

image.png

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

August 3rd, 2020 04:00

@Anonymous 

That update does not show up. I will try to find it.

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

August 3rd, 2020 07:00

@Anonymous 

I tried the update and when I ran it it asked to install or extract. I clicked install and nothing happened I don't think it did anything. 

No Events found!