Start a Conversation

Unsolved

C

19 Posts

August 10th, 2020 07:00

XPS 8930, S2419H, vertical lines when playing video

Hello all,

I recently purchased the Dell XPS8930 and I bought a monitor too to go with it. The monitor is 

Dell 24 InfinityEdge Monitor - S2419H -60.5cm(23.8") Black

So anyway, my problem is when I'm watching video or playing Football Manager 2020 and I'm playing a match, there's some intermittent vertical lines on the monitor. I'm currently connected with the HDMI cable that came with the monitor. I've done all the graphics card driver updates. How can I fix this? It still seems to be doing it. 

I can't find a picture of what it looks like. It's not flickering, it's like horizontal pixelated lines or something. 

10 Elder

• 

43.8K Posts

August 10th, 2020 12:00

Tell us what CPU, RAM, video card, and PSU you have in your XPS 8930.

Is the monitor connected to the add-in video card, or did you accidentally connect it the onboard Intel UHD Graphics HDMI port on rear of PC?

Is Windows set to the correct ("native", "recommended", "optimal") resolution for this monitor?

Have you read:  How to Troubleshoot Display or Video Issues on a Dell Monitor?

EDIT: Did this monitor come with its own driver and did you install it?

19 Posts

August 10th, 2020 22:00

Hey, this is the machine I have.

Dell XPS8930 i59400, Nvidia Geforce GTX 1650 4GB DDR5, 8GB 1 x8GB DDR4 2666MHz Memory

Originally I was plugged into the motherboard HDMI slot now I'm in the HDMI slot for the graphics card and the problem still persists.

I'm also on the recommended resolution too.

10 Elder

• 

43.8K Posts

August 11th, 2020 12:00

And keep in mind that 8 GB of RAM may be a bit low for your games and/or the i5 may be too slow...

10 Elder

• 

43.8K Posts

August 11th, 2020 12:00

The first monitor should always be connected to the add-in video card.

Reboot and tap F12 when you see the Dell splash screen. When the F12 menu opens, look for option to run the diagnostics. Run all of them, including RAM and HDD.

Do you have the latest video driver?

Can you test this monitor on a different PC or a different monitor on this PC? Use the add-in card's HDMI port and the same HDMI video cable to connect to another monitor's HDMI port.

19 Posts

August 12th, 2020 06:00

an i5 is slow? But it's a six core processor. The computer runs absolutely fast and fine to me. Football Manager works an absolute treat too - it's the only game I play so didn't need a higher processor. Since the computer and monitor are both brand new, it shouldn't be slow.

That said, I have tested the PC on the tv and there's no issue with any vertical lines on video. I plan to test again tomorrow on a HP monitor and see what happens.

I've done all the hardware tests, updated all drivers etc. Done video stress tests using Dell Support Assist etc all seems fine.

1 Rookie

• 

3.2K Posts

August 12th, 2020 06:00

Have you gone to the monitor's On-Screen Display menu and tried a Factory Reset?

19 Posts

August 12th, 2020 07:00

I pressed yes to factory reset but nothing happened. My desktop screen is still on. Should it have turned off?

1 Rookie

• 

3.2K Posts

August 12th, 2020 08:00

Your monitor settings should have changed back to all the default settings but nothing should have happened to your display screen. I was just wondering if that may resolve your issue with the intermittent vertical lines. 

19 Posts

August 12th, 2020 10:00

I will test it later when I watch the football but so far I haven't seen any for the past two hours. I'll keep doing all the things I've been doing when I've seen them and report back.

1 Rookie

• 

3.2K Posts

August 13th, 2020 04:00

I think @RoHe asked this question: Do you have the latest NVIDIA video driver?

19 Posts

August 13th, 2020 04:00

So I decided to try watching different kinds of videos. I put Ghostbusters on YouTube and didn't notice the lines. But then I put football back on again and noticed them, particularly when the players are doing something with high movement. 

Odd, what could it be?

10 Elder

• 

43.8K Posts

August 13th, 2020 10:00

In addition to updating the video driver, did you ever install the S2419H monitor's driver and display manager app?

Did you follow all of these instructions regarding vertical lines?

monitor.jpg

And if it's only that one football game with problems, have you checked to see if there's an update for the game and/or if your video card and monitor meet the minimum requirements for that game? Check at Can You RUN it.

10 Elder

• 

43.8K Posts

August 13th, 2020 11:00

Check in Device Manager to see if the monitor driver is correctly recognized, eg has the version number mentioned in the driver file you downloaded and installed.

19 Posts

August 13th, 2020 11:00

Latest Nvidia updates are all done. I did download the display driver for the monitor but I'll follow the steps you gave me too.

My computer and graphics card can handle the game in question. It's rated 5 out of 5 my graphics card for this particular game.

The lines I'm mentioning I can't show you a picture of. But they only happen in the video, they're not green or anything, they're just like pixel lines or something... I've e-mailed Dell in a private message with a picture. 

19 Posts

August 13th, 2020 12:00

Touch wood but I'm playing Football Manager 2020 and watching the Champions League game tonight and so far I haven't seen any of the lines I've been witnessing. I'll continue to monitor it, no pun intended.

No Events found!