Highlighted
2 Bronze

Re: XPS 8930 SE, Exhaust Fan and PSU Upgrade

No worries -

I know it's just a 120mm plate, but I have a friend who can get it for me once I know the Dell Part number.

Like I said the fan is ready to go, so I just need the plate.

πŸ™‚

0 Kudos
Highlighted
5 Rhenium

@Compumind   once I know the Dell Part number.

Could take a while for that photo to be moderator approved. These are the numbers on the white sticker:

DP/N 0X64T5

CN-0X64T5-74431-64Q-C02V-AD0

. . . as best I can tell 'zero', O & D may be hard to distinguish. Looks like 'zero' to me.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
1 Copper

Read through the entire thread. Thanks for all the helpful info. Some pretty comical stuff going on in here too.

I'm having a hard time finding the 120mm Aurora R5 top fan bracket without the fan on the big auction site. Do you think something like "Nexus 80mm or 92mm Fan Slot to 120mm Fan Converter" (amazon) would work for mounting one of the Noctua fans you specified?

I already ordered the R5 bracket and fan from the big auction site for the lower front fan.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
5 Rhenium

@nedflembag   I'm having a hard time finding the 120mm Aurora R5 top fan bracket without the fan on the big auction site.

That is because nobody wants to keep those OEM fans. They will most always be included with the bracket. Look at it this way; you are buying and paying for the bracket . . . the OEM fan is included for free. Just take the OEM fan off and throw it in the trash. Replace it with a better quality, more quiet 120mm fan.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
4 Ruthenium

Trying not to say something unsavory about using extra fans to protect against COVID-19...

0 Kudos
Highlighted
2 Bronze

I'm running an XPS 8930 with an RTX 2060 which I use for gaming. For the first few months the machine was fine when running it at medium settings and low 80 FPS, and not until Dec 2019 and a game update that it started crashing. I updated graphics drivers, blew out the entire machine and lowered my graphics settings down to bare bones but nothing helped, it kept crashing to a black screen with the tiny fan working overtime. Turns out the OEM headsink/fan were not enough to expel the excess heat. I was reaching high 90Β° and above when playing. That being said I googled for solutions and I found this thread. I followed everything you posted down to the same exact gorilla tape and weather stripping. 

So this is the outcome, just by installing the 3 12mm fans my temps dropped by 20Β° down to the mid 70's. The upgraded heatsink like the one you are running brought it down to 60Β° when playing at 120 FPS and Ultra settings. I've included pictures of my progress and the old heatsink and left over parts. You're post was extremely helpful. You can barely see the OEM heatsink still installedYou can barely see the OEM heatsink still installedThe two intake fans installed, 1 with a case and one with the weather stripping modThe two intake fans installed, 1 with a case and one with the weather stripping modCPU modular cable was a tight fight under the new heatsink, so definitely bend those wires like in the original postCPU modular cable was a tight fight under the new heatsink, so definitely bend those wires like in the original postHeatsink and 3 fans installed, just doing light cable managementHeatsink and 3 fans installed, just doing light cable managementleftover parts, job done!leftover parts, job done!

Highlighted
5 Rhenium

@juGGer1     I'm running an XPS 8930 with an RTX 2060 which I use for gaming . . .

Great Job! . . . and nice temperatures. Those are some good photos too! You will find those Noctua fans are very quiet.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
2 Bronze

Quick question

I replaced the top exhaust fan with a Noctua NF-S12A PWM.  Should I have installed the FLX version instead?

Thanks... George

0 Kudos
Highlighted
4 Tellurium

One bottom fan probably would have done the same thing. Nice mounting with weather stripping and taped off to draw from outside air (most don't do that and I did a thread on this a while back). Why does everyone go with those brick colored fans? They all doo the same thing (no silver bullet there).

Dell XPS 8920 silver edition
7th gen i7 Intel CPU
Samsung 850 evo SSD for boot
Added front fan
16gb of memory
AMD video/graphic card
I buy a new Dell every 4 years for the last 25 years

0 Kudos
Highlighted
2 Bronze

HI...

I did some stress testing with the PC case open and a ceiling fan blowing (to simulate more circulation) in the room and my CPU temps did drop about 10%... so I am interested in doing the front fan mod.

Probably a minor thing but I am not sure what you mean by

"The inserts on the front bezel need to be cut with a Dremel cutting wheel."

Also... with 2 fans sucking air in from the front... doesn't it get a little loud with all of that air being pulled through the small slats?

Thanks.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
4 Ruthenium

@wxperson999 

Probably a minor thing but I am not sure what you mean by

"The inserts on the front bezel need to be cut with a Dremel cutting wheel."

Also... with 2 fans sucking air in from the front... doesn't it get a little loud with all of that air being pulled through the small slats?

If you go back to his very first post, about halfway down, he put a photo of some mesh-like filter on the front of the chassis. That's where he said to cut the inserts on the front bezel. That's because the filter will cover the hole where the inserts fit into. Unless you're cool with the inserts puncturing the filter mesh.

I did my first cut of the bezel inserts using tin snips and a file. Only after a few months did I return and tidy it up with a Dremel.

As for the loudness of the air being pulled through the small slats, I wouldn't worry too much about it. The fans will be louder than the air whooshing.

Highlighted
5 Rhenium

@wxperson999  Probably a minor thing but I am not sure what you mean by "The inserts on the front bezel need to be cut with a Dremel cutting wheel."

As pointed out by @GTS81  this would only need to be done if you are installing dust filters on the outside of the case. This is not required for cooling.

Highlighted
5 Rhenium

@wxperson999    which heatsink/fan do you think is better

I have no personal experience with the Arctic Freezer, so I cannot say for certain.

Having said that, the blower fan concept looks like it would be more conducive to the very small space remaining once the PSU swing out contraption is closed. Pushing the heated air out toward the top exhaust fan seems better than blowing it toward the mobo.

The Arctic Freezer is inexpensive, so it may be worth a test.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
4 Ruthenium

I remember glancing a similar discussion before this. Found it:

https://www.dell.com/community/XPS-Desktops/XPS-8930-i7-8700-3rd-party-CPU-cooler/m-p/6108230/highli...

There's also posts by @sparkymark75 on @HanoverB's thread:

https://www.dell.com/community/XPS-Desktops/XPS-8930-GPU-and-CPU-Liquid-Cooler-PSU-Case-Swap-Upgrade...

However, he stopped short of making the Arctic Freezer 11 LP work in his nano-case rig and moved on to something bigger and better (seems to be the trend here).

0 Kudos
Highlighted
5 Rhenium

@GTS81   @wxperson999 

However, he stopped short of making the Arctic Freezer 11 LP work

Not many (if any) users are going to pull out a blower style fan/heatsink and replace it with a $15 Arctic Freezer.  Most users "upgrading" to the Arctic Freezer are replacing the OEM toy fan/heatsink that comes with the 65 watt (non K) CPUs. I would say that the Arctic Freezer may be a improvement over that OEM CPU cooler.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
4 Tellurium

One is better, on the bottom.

7th gen i7 Intel CPU
Added front fan
16gb of memory
AMD video/graphic card

0 Kudos
Highlighted
4 Tellurium

Why is everybody hooked on Noctua fans? I doubt if they are any better. Where is the silver bullet?

7th gen i7 Intel CPU
Added front fan
16gb of memory
AMD video/graphic card

0 Kudos
Highlighted
3 Argentum

>>Why is everybody hooked on Noctua fans? I doubt if they are any better. Where is the silver bullet?

They probably compare fan performance specs, warranty, included bits, product application information provided by the maker, and actual user reviews and then go with what feels best for their application, time, and money.  Fans are relatively cheap so cost is probably not a main deciding factor.

Apparently Noctua is winning market share.  Nothing wrong with that.

GK

0 Kudos
Highlighted
2 Iron

Could you please tell us some words about the productivity of this cooler?

I mean if you start the computer, start the Dell diagnostic at the same time and computer starts from cold what RPM of the CPU fan and the exhaust fan the system reach?

And also what the temperature CPU reach at your the heaviest load?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
5 Rhenium

@vehf277    Could you please tell us some words . . .

To which cooler are you referring . . . Arctic Freezer or the blower style fan/heatsink?

What kind of top exhaust fan are you running . . . 92mm or 120mm?

What CPU do you have? . . . full length graphics card or the short style? . . . 0, 1, or 2 front intake fans? . . . what computer do you have?

Every setup gives a different result.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
2 Bronze

Hello all, I am sorry I do not come here with answers but I  have a question:

I did the swap with a 120mm top fan in my xps8930 and now it can't restart.

The shutdown works, but when I'm trying to restart it get stuck.

Any clues?

Thanks

Jno

0 Kudos
Highlighted
3 Argentum

>> Hello all, I am sorry I do not come here with answers but I  have a question:
I did the swap with a 120mm top fan in my xps8930 and now it can't restart.
The shutdown works, but when I'm trying to restart it get stuck.
Any clues?

Is there a got stuck message?

What fan did you install?

GK

0 Kudos
Highlighted
2 Bronze

Hi,

I have installed the  Noctua NF-s12A FLX 3pin that i have seen on these forum.

The Fan is running well full rpm at very low noise (maybe that is why noctua's fan are popular πŸ™‚ )

When I shut down the computer, everything is closing then the fan stops when the power is off.

when i try to restart, everything is closing normally, the screen goes black, but the fan continue to

spin as the power stays on and it stays stuck in this state (I have tried to wait for about 10 mn before

doing a hard reset)

Is there something that need to be changed in the Bios maybe?

Thanks

Jno

0 Kudos
Highlighted
5 Rhenium

@jnno   Is there something that need to be changed in the Bios maybe?

I don't know if BIOS will help. I suspect the 'failure on re-start' is unrelated to your fan swap.

You replaced the top exhaust fan with a 3-pin Noctua fan, and that new fan is plugged into the Top Fan header on the mobo, correct?  Can you post a photo or two of the inside of your case?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
2 Bronze

Yes it is plugged in the top fan header, same as the old fan except for the 3 pin instead of four,

and it is on the right side of the plug.

I can upload some photos, but I have the version with the CPU cooler  fan blower and radiator that covers

everything. I don't think it will be really helpful πŸ™‚ 

IMG_1114.JPG

 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
5 Rhenium

@jnno   I can upload some photos, but . . .

Aside from all of you components being installed upside down . . . if you want to help your case temps, snap another 120mm intake fan into the lower front position with the Aurora R5/6/7 fan bracket (super simple). Also, remove the empty HDD cage for better air flow. I can't tell for certain if you also have a HDD in the top front. If not, move the one from the bottom up there and help the air flow for your graphics card. Don't leave any empty HDD cages blocking air flow.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
3 Argentum

>>I have installed the  Noctua NF-s12A FLX 3pin that i have seen on these forum.

Is this new fan connected to the 3 pins on the right side of the 4-pin motherboard case fan header?

If you disconnect the new fan and reconnect the old fan, does the computer boot normally?

If you had bought the PWM version, you'd have the option to run it in 3-pin (full RPM) or 4-pin mode (BIOS controlled RPM).

GK

0 Kudos
Highlighted
2 Bronze

Thanks for your answer,

yes the new fan is connected on the right side of the 4 pin header.

On this model with this kind of CPU cooler I have to remove everything just to check the connection, so troubleshooting is a bit unfriendly. But your suggestion is good.

I have serious Heat issues with this case and what Dell let me put inside without warning so I am on the fence here, I am seriously considering ripping this thing apart and build something better with some of the parts (CPU,GPU,ram,PSU) in a new case and maybe a new mobo.

So I think I will live with this issue for now, as a matter of fact I can do a restart, I just have to do it manually πŸ™‚ .

Thank you again

Jno

0 Kudos
Highlighted
5 Rhenium

@jnno    I have serious Heat issues with this case and what Dell let me put inside without warning so I am on the fence here, I am seriously considering ripping this thing apart and build something better with some of the parts (CPU,GPU,ram,PSU) in a new case and maybe a new mobo.

If you love your pc components but you just can't take the heat, consider an external radiator and some CPU/VGA water blocks. (click photo to embiggen)

w47.JPG

19.JPG

w48.JPG

with PSU swingout contraption 

Liquid Cooling without PSU swingout contraption 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
2 Bronze

This is great fun, maybe when i'll retire πŸ™‚ 

But for now I had my problem solved the radical way.

The initial trouble was the very poor heat management of the XPS 8930 despite the description on the Dell website, this is purely false.

When you put a I9 9900k in a Aurora system on the website you've got a warning that you have to take watercooling option. For the

XPS 8930 nothing, there is no warning (there is no watercooling option anyway, that is why I guess) . 

So with this thing in the case plus the GPU I was hitting 85 Celsius with peaks at 95 Celsius on some application, and this is winter in Canada...

In summer this thing is going to melt. 

So this is it, I have picked up a new case, a new motherboard, a CPU cooler, and with the pieces (CPU,GPU,PSU,SSD,etc...) I have build a new computer.

For now I've never had more than 55 Celsius (peak) in two days (same apps) and it is restarting OK πŸ™‚

Never say never, but it was my last Dell for a while.

Jno

0 Kudos
Highlighted
5 Rhenium

@jnno     I have build a new computer.

post some photos of that new computer build in the 'new computer build' thread linked below

jnno's new computer build 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
4 Ruthenium

@Dell630i :

@jnno     I have build a new computer.

post some photos of that new computer build in the 'new computer build' thread linked below

jnno's new computer build 

What an amazing move of funneling posts there. πŸ€£

0 Kudos
Highlighted
5 Rhenium

Yea, but the title of the link is killing me.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
1 Copper

I am a relative novice.  I had purchased a Seasonic 850Focus+ PSU and was getting ready to install when I fortunately stumbled upon this thread.  I want to definitely add the top exhaust fan and figured I might as well add the two others as well.  I noticed my machine top fan exhaust would get hot and put an external fan to try and assist.  Anyway, question is pretty simple.  @Dell630i you mentioned the "SATA fan splitter" but I am not sure which to buy or if it is part of the modular bundles that came with the PSU.  When I searched for those I came up with connections I don't think will work. I don't have the fans yet but was hoping to order everything so I wouldn't end up needing "that one thing".  

My system is very similar to yours-- actually almost identical.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
5 Rhenium

@Gooberz   but I am not sure which to buy or if it is part of the modular bundles that came with the PSU

Several SATA power cables will be included with your Seasonic fully modular PSU. In addition to those, you will need something similar to the link below, which will connect to the aforementioned SATA power cables, and to your front fans.

SATA Fan Splitter 

Remember to get some non-conductive thermal paste to reinstall your blower fan/heatsink, which will need to be removed to access the CPU power connector and fan headers.

Recall you will also need one of these  SATA 15-pin to SATA 6-pin slimeline adapter for the optical drive.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
5 Rhenium

Also, check out dell603i's new and improved computer build Here  and click subscribe to get progress updates. 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
2 Bronze

Is there start up error if the optical drive isnt connected? 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
1 Copper

Hi,

where I can find the Aurora R5 120mm top exhaust fan bracket ?  I looked around without succes.

Many Thanks

Norm

0 Kudos
Highlighted
5 Rhenium

@MaxTrains   where I can find the Aurora R5 120mm top exhaust fan bracket ? I looked around without succes.

Just keep searching online . . . they are getting more rare and expensive as many users complete this fan modification. I can post links today, but there is no guarantee the bracket will be available at a later date.

The Big Auction Site 

A Fruit Vendor 

Just make certain your purchase includes the bracket . . . then throw the fan away.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
2 Iron

Dell620i and others.  I will be adding a new top fan and bottom front fans today or tomorrow.  I finally have the Nocutua fans and mounts.  I have one question I need help with.  My new fans are with the 3 prong plugs.  I know the top fan plug will just go where the old fan came off using the 3 pins to the right.

Where are you plugging the bottom fan in?  I have looked at all the pics but can't really tell where it is actually plugging in.Thanks for any help.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
5 Rhenium

@mfurr   Where are you plugging the bottom fan in?

You have multiple options;

You can us a fan splitter adapter, and plug all 3 fans into the TOP FAN header.

As an example  3-way fan splitter cable 

You can power directly from the PSU SATA cable with a SATA to 2 fan adapter.

As an example  SATA to 2 fan adapter 

You could also pick up PSU power as above but with a molex to 2 fan adapter.

As an example  molex to 2 fan adapter 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
2 Iron

Thanks for the quick reply.  I thought maybe there was a power point I was overlooking but I figured I would have to get a splitter of some type..  Thanks again.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
5 Rhenium

@mfurr 

Pay attention to the orientation of you fan power cables when installing the front fans to avoid problems later. Note the position of the fan power wires in this photo; bringing the wires to 'front center' of the chassis. (click photo to embiggen)

image.png

0 Kudos
Highlighted
4 Ruthenium

@Dell630i :

That red color SATA cable for the ODD seems to be not plugged in correctly to the motherboard. Are you able to watch your DVDs on your pseudo πŸ‘½ ? πŸ˜‚

0 Kudos