Start a Conversation

Solved!

Go to Solution

October 31st, 2018 08:00

XPS 8930 SE, GPU upgrade, GTX 1080 Ti

Hello!

First time poster and first time Dell purchaser. I have an xps 8930 se with i7 8700 (non k), 16 gig ram, GeForce 1080, the 250 something gb SSD and 2tb hd. I am considering upgrading to a 1080 ti. I have a couple of questions. First off, this is a fairly new purchase and I am currently under warranty for 2 years. Will switching out components void the warranty on the system? Question 2: reading through the forums, am I correct in assuming the GPU upgrade will also require a Psu upgrade? And if so would a 750w gold certified be enough? Question 3: if I decide to go this route, are there certain kinds of cards (form factor or I guess type of cooling etc) I should look for or will any 1080 ti work? Question 4: if I successfully perform the upgrade of the GPU and Psu will cooling be an issue? I notice my 1080 goes to 82c all the time while gaming (new call of duty, DotA 2, GTA 5 etc). Are there any solutions to this that don't require anything like drilling new holes or anything? Question 5: are there any success stories about specific models of gpu's and Psus that have worked without trouble after the upgrade? Question 6: will there be required bios updates or anything to get it working or will the upgrade just work?

Sorry for the long post and multiple questions. I tried looking on forums but I couldn't find answers for my specific system and I just wanna make sure I don't mess this up. Any responses to any of these questions are greatly appreciated!

Thanks so much.

Community Manager

• 

54.3K Posts

October 31st, 2018 08:00

I am considering upgrading to a 1080 ti
* It is not worth the cost. See the EVGA prices. Also, you will not "see" any difference in game play. The OEM GTX 1080 should be fine for years.
GTX 1080 Ti vs GTX 1080

Question 1: Will switching out components void the warranty on the system?
* The act itself of removing and adding parts does not void the warranty. But, if you break some other component while doing a part change, that would void the warranty.

Question 2: reading through the forums, am I correct in assuming the GPU upgrade will also require a PSU upgrade? And if so would a 750w gold certified be enough?
* Correct. Our OEM video cards are validated with our 460w PSU. Any retail video card would require a higher wattage PSU.

Question 3: if I decide to go this route, are there certain kinds of cards (form factor or I guess type of cooling etc) I should look for or will any 1080 Ti work?
* Length is the problem. Make sure you do not get a video card that exceeds 10.5".

Question 4: if I successfully perform the upgrade of the GPU and PSU, will cooling be an issue? I notice my 1080 goes to 82c all the time while gaming (new call of duty, DotA 2, GTA 5 etc). Are there any solutions to this that don't require anything like drilling new holes or anything?
* Cooling should not be a problem. But many owners do purchase additional cooling fans. Lots of threads out here on that subject.

4 Posts

October 31st, 2018 09:00

Chris thanks for the quick reply it's greatly appreciated. Also thank you for the info!:)

No Events found!