Start a Conversation

Unsolved

A

11 Posts

March 15th, 2019 19:00

XPS 8930 SE, loud wheezing fan under load

I just purchased a Dell XPS 8930 SE on March 5 and it arrived today, one of the fans is really loud and wheezing noise under load.

Is it defective? It can't make this much noise and be normal and its very irritating to work with

4 Operator

• 

3.2K Posts

March 16th, 2019 06:00

There has been lots of complaints about fan noise with the XPS 8930 in this forum. I suggest you search XPS 8930 and fan noise to see how folks have dealt with the problem.

11 Posts

March 16th, 2019 07:00

yeah i have and it seems to change the fan, but i don't want to buy a new fan for a brand new pc thats just silly I'm going to contact dell and return the PC, never had a problem with a Dell PC before but this is just annoying

2 Intern

• 

732 Posts

March 16th, 2019 09:00

Send it back like the others did and maybe they will get point and quit dumping little top fans on people that paid good money for a good PC.

19 Posts

March 16th, 2019 11:00

I have an 8930se, i7-9700k,

yep, annoying,

what I noticed is that intel overclocks the cpu (you can monitor this in the task manager > performance) but when the cpu is fully utilized the fan runs wild.

I would suggest you install Core Temp 1.13 (simple to use and configure) which gives you the individual core temperatures on the taskbar and is a good way to monitor things (you can get the core temp specs for your cpu from intel)

and as pointed out earlier the top case fan is smaller than shown in the manual.

11 Posts

March 16th, 2019 12:00

i changed the mhz down to 4000 from one of the other posts and the cpu runs well and the loud fan noise doesn't come since it doesnt reach top load.

However, the Nvidia 1060 it comes with fan has an annoying sound too.

8 Wizard

• 

17K Posts

March 16th, 2019 13:00

@ashkan_1984 wrote:

However, the Nvidia 1060 it comes with fan has an annoying sound too.

Now I'm not sure if the XPS-8930se has got a bad fan, or you just don't like ANY fan noise. :Indifferent:

In the future ... if you want a "quiet computer" I suggest you not buy one with:
- A nice high-end Intel processor that only has fan cooling (ie, no Liquid-Cooler)
- A nice/powerful video card.

Remember, this is not an iPad that magically cools itself with no fans.   :Smile: 

11 Posts

March 16th, 2019 13:00

is there a specific noise the 1060 fan is supposed to make so i can compare?  The one that it makes when the fan is at about 50-60% speed is like a high pitch "weeee" lol sorry hard to describe in text\

EDIT: I THINK its called "Coil Whine" from the google searches i been doing, is that normal?

2 Intern

• 

732 Posts

March 16th, 2019 16:00

@ashkan_1984 wrote:

is there a specific noise the 1060 fan is supposed to make so i can compare?  The one that it makes when the fan is at about 50-60% speed is like a high pitch "weeee" lol sorry hard to describe in text\

EDIT: I THINK its called "Coil Whine" from the google searches i been doing, is that normal?

Does it make a moaning sound, ? that's all mine does when it's taxed to the max. If you want to keep it you can do an "outside air only" front fan mod on it like I did but you would have to have a 120mm fan first. Some people are getting free 120mm top fans but I guess they have good people skills.

No Events found!