Start a Conversation

Unsolved

S

7 Posts

March 22nd, 2020 08:00

XPS 8930, another CPU fan question?

So, I have an XPS 8930 (i7-9700 non-K) that gets warm while gaming. From what I've read (and I think I've read them all!) the quickest/easiest swap seems to be the Arctic Freezer 11 LP. Anyone tried any others? Is there another option that fits as well and goes in as easily?

6 Professor

• 

5.3K Posts

March 26th, 2020 11:00

@Anonymous wrote:

Aurora Top Exhaust Fan Bracket 

Just an FYI that the attachment points on both ends of the fan bracket for the R7/8 is configured differently from what is linked above for the R5 / XPS 8910.  This is what it looks like now (I believe the XPS 8930 shares the same internal metal frame as the R7/8).  In the R7/8 fan bracket, there is a single attachment point up top: one square hole in the center.  In the R5 photo, top, it has a double attachment point: two square holes, one on either end.  The bottom attachment is different too.  See photo. Not sure if this changes anything as far as compatibility, but just FYI something to look into if you're going to go this route. 

Another aside, the stock Dell fan is rated at 149 CFM for the R7/8 (the one in the link is 123 CFM). 

get rid of thisget rid of this

258 Posts

March 26th, 2020 12:00

OP should seek out the top case 120mm fan mounting plate that looks most like the 92mm one currently installed.  Or devise his own mounting.

GK

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

March 26th, 2020 13:00

@r72019  (I believe the XPS 8930 shares the same internal metal frame as the R7/8).

It does, except for the 'hat' where the liquid cooling fan and rad are located. It looks like the pic you posted would work for XPS 8930. You might have to drill a hole, but better drilling the bracket in the garage than the case on your desk.

March 26th, 2020 13:00

@Anonymous I appreciate the listing, but the problem that I have with that is that it's nearly $70 Canadian dollary-doos (after shipping and exchange, NOT counting any duty that may apply)... and I'd have to wait for it to get here!

I've done a fair bit of metal fab in my life, and I do have the tools at my disposal in the school's metal shop, so I'm confident I can make something work. And barring that, I have a roll of double sided Gorilla Tape that would likely work in a pinch!

2 Intern

• 

732 Posts

March 26th, 2020 21:00

I would use the tape anyway...….less vibration noise.

No Events found!