Start a Conversation

Unsolved

J

18 Posts

July 5th, 2020 10:00

XPS 8930, blank screen nightmare

Hi, I hope somebody can help - this is driving me insane! I’ve got a Dell XPS 8930 desktop which when I switch it on the main power button lights up normally but nothing appears on the screen. I’ve tried a different monitor (both are working fine), HDMI cable, unplugging all the peripherals, hard restart, pressing F12 etc but nothing. I recently updated the Bios and the chipset a few weeks ago but because I can’t see anything on the screen I can’t even get into diagnostics now! Any suggestions would be great

4 Operator

• 

20.1K Posts

July 5th, 2020 11:00

Since another monitor doesn't work it is probably a failed video card. Remove the card and try using the integrated video to test. You must actually remove the video card from the computer to use the integrated video.

https://topics-cdn.dell.com/pdf/xps-8930-desktop_setup-guide_en-us.pdf

Make sure you are connecting the monitor correctly to the video card. Use the bottom slots on the back, not the ones on the upper middle left. The integrated video doesn't work when a video card is installed.

Service manual-- https://topics-cdn.dell.com/pdf/xps-8930-desktop_service-manual_en-us.pdf

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

July 5th, 2020 11:00

@joyce_davenport    Any suggestions would be great

Try pulling out your graphics card and plugging it back in, making certain it is fully seated in the slot. Double check internal power connections.

July 6th, 2020 03:00

Many thanks for your advice, it’s much appreciated, you were right - the graphics card was loose! I’ve now got the screen working which is great but... When I restart the computer it gets stuck on Support Assist, it says ‘Hardware scan complete with no issues’ but when I press continue it goes back in to support assist scanning again for potential hardware problems. I ran diagnostics which reported ‘all tests past’ but still I can’t get out of Support Assist, any ideas?

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

July 6th, 2020 08:00

@joyce_davenport    I ran diagnostics which reported ‘all tests past’ but still I can’t get out of Support Assist, any ideas?

I'm just spitballing here, but if you can boot up in 'safe mode' perhaps you can uninstall Support Assist.

4 Operator

• 

3.2K Posts

July 6th, 2020 11:00

Or you can try:

1. right-click on Start, click on Task Manager, click on the Support Assist task, and then click End task.

2. right-click on Start, click on Run, type services.msc, click OK, scroll down the list of services until you find Support Assist, then double click on it, and change the Startup type to Disabled and then click Apply and OK. 

After restarting, you can uninstall Support Assist.

July 7th, 2020 01:00

Many thanks for your advice, it turned out to be a loose video card. I’ve got the screen working, which is great Many thanks again

July 7th, 2020 01:00

Many thanks for your advice, it turned out to be a loose video card. I’ve got the screen working, which is great, but I can’t login now! Dell Support told me to update the BIOS and now I’m stuck on the blue screen of death - 

‘Stop code: PAGE FAULT IN NONPAGED AREA. What failed: iaStoreAC.sys’

so I can’t get in to safe mode

AAAHHHH!

4 Operator

• 

3.2K Posts

July 7th, 2020 05:00

If you can't boot into Windows or Safe Mode or you have not created a recovery disk/media in advance then you may have to use Windows installation media to boot and repair. First, you have to download and create the Windows installation media. Be sure it is the same version as installed on your computer (i.e. Windows 10 version 1909). See this article: https://www.thewindowsclub.com/boot-or-repair-windows-10-using-the-installation-media/

4 Operator

• 

3.2K Posts

July 7th, 2020 10:00

There is also a way to use the Dell SupportAssist OS Recovery Tool to recover/repair. See this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_cVIuJAUCNU

July 8th, 2020 23:00

Hi, many thanks for your advice. I created the recovery media on a USB flash drive but when I click on it in the boot list the machine crashes! Dell tech support suggested I update the BIOS and that’s now causing a blue screen crash, the situation seems to be getting worse!

July 9th, 2020 02:00

Many thanks for your advice it is appreciated but my PC starts loading support assist and then crashes, I can’t even get in to support assist!

No Events found!