Start a Conversation

Solved!

Go to Solution

January 2nd, 2019 12:00

XPS 8930, can't enable Optane Memory

Hello guys,

I'm trying to find some information about my question, but no success. Recently I bought an XPS 8930 and I can't enable the Optane Memory through Intel Rapid Storage Technology software.

Below, the software information:

Intel Optane memory status: disabled

Your system appears to be Intel Optane memory ready, but no Intel Optane memory modules were detected in your computer

Am I missing something?

XPS 8930

Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-8700 CPU @ 3.20GHz

4x DUAL IN-LINE MEMORY MODULE, 16GB, 2666, 2RX8, 8G, DDR4, NU (64 GB)

NVIDIA GEFORCE GTX 1080

KXG50ZNV256G NVMe TOSHIBA 256GB

Best Regards,

Renato Battaglia

10 Elder

• 

44.3K Posts

January 2nd, 2019 18:00

Optane Memory is supposed to speed up performance from a traditional hard drive. You have an SSD (presumably with the OS on it) so Optane wouldn't do anything to speed up performance from that SSD, and the SSD alone is probably faster than a spinning hard drive+Optane.

If your question has been answered, please mark this thread as solved.

10 Elder

• 

44.3K Posts

January 2nd, 2019 16:00

What does "unable" mean? Does "unable" = "disable"?

The Intel Optane memory status is already disabled.

Are you getting an error message or where do you see "no Intel Optane memory modules were detected"?

Did you order this PC with Optane memory?

You might want to read page 26, here.

January 2nd, 2019 17:00

Hi Ron

Thanks for replying. 

No error, just the "no Intel Optane memory modules were detected" message.

I thought that every XPS-8930 by default already have Optane memory.

Reviewing my order, my machine came with two disks:

1 -    KXG50ZNV256G NVMe TOSHIBA 256GB

2-     ST2000DM001-1ER164 SEAGATE 2TB

Thanks,

Renato Battaglia

1 Message

March 15th, 2019 08:00

I used a 16Gb Optane Memory module in a XPS 8930 to speed up the slow performance. The big problem was the stock 1Tb Toshiba drive, receiving a Passmark Disk score of 733.9m a 39% percentile result. Overall the stock XPS 8930 had a Passmark score of 2,501, at 55% percentile.

After installing the Optane memory, the Passmark Disk score changed to 1,821, 54% percentile, and overall to 3,499 at 72% percentile.  This is a very effective speed tool.

1 Rookie

• 

45 Posts

May 19th, 2020 20:00

I have an Inspiron 7586 with pretty much the same setup as the one above, 256gb SSD + 2tb HDD. I'm gtting the same message, "It appears that your system...no modules detected." The "Enable" button is greyed out. I went into my bios and it is set on the RAID setting. However upon reading this, am I to understand fully that it isn't any good because my OS is on the SSD and the Optane wouldn't benefit the system? This would mean that my PCIe 2.0 NVMe would be faster without it and that it isn't made to have any benefit to an SSD C: drive and that it won't work with the D drive HDD?  So optane is only beneficial to a C: drive HDD? Thanks for any clarification on this.

4 Operator

• 

3.2K Posts

May 20th, 2020 05:00

Are you sure you have Optane memory in your Inspiron 7586? It appears that this laptop only has a single M.2 2280/2230 slot and if you have an M.2 PCIe NVMe SSD then you don't have Optane memory. Yes, it is true that Optane memory is most beneficial for an HDD.

By the way, this is a Desktop/XPS forum. For more help, you may wish to post to the Laptop/Inspiron forum.

1 Rookie

• 

45 Posts

May 20th, 2020 18:00

Apologies for posting in an incorrect forum, I searched for my issue and this seemed to be the closest match I could find. I'll try where you suggested. To answer your question though, I'm not sure it has it, the only reason it interested me is because I happened upon it in the Intel Rapid Storage Technology software. As I said, the option to enable it button is greyed out and I get the message "Your system appears to be Intel® Optane™ ready but no Intel® Optane™ memory modules were detected in your computer. Please install a compatible module. Visit intel.com/support/optane-memory for more information."

Enable

I am 100% positive that I have 2 hard drives in my pc and it isn't offered with an optical drive so I know it's not a caddy drive conversion as I did with my 3567. I'm also 100% positive that my C: drive is a PCIe 2.0 NVMe. I googled all my hardware when I purchased it and also when I recieved it to make sure I was getting what I wanted and paid for.

Thanks for the reply.

4 Operator

• 

3.2K Posts

May 21st, 2020 04:00

@DellRayRay No need to apologize for posting to the wrong forum; I only suggested the other forum because there may be more participants familiar with your laptop.

A PCIe 2.0 NVMe SSD goes in the M.2 slot. Since there is only one slot that is where your C: drive is and therefore no slot for Optane memory. Also, there is only one location for mounting an internal HDD, It may help to look at the Setup and Specifications and the Service Manual.

1 Rookie

• 

45 Posts

May 21st, 2020 20:00

Yes, thanks. I also got the correct info from intel forums as well. I think I'll just leave it the way it is. Maybe put a bigger SSD in the future, but for now, it's good. Thank you for the reply.

Any idea if an SSHD would be beneficial in the SATA slot? It's just a curiosity question, for future reference.

4 Operator

• 

3.2K Posts

May 22nd, 2020 06:00

An SSHD is definitely faster than an HDD, but I am not sure if an SSHD is worth the extra expense versus investing the difference in a larger SSD especially if you plan to upgrade to the larger SSD in the future.

1 Message

May 23rd, 2020 20:00

What if my OS is NOT installed on the SSD?   When I received my 8930, the OS was installed on the 1TB drive and the service tech that I talked to said that the 250G SSD "wasn't big enough for Win 10" - which I say is BS!

How do I enable Optane Memory when "enable" is grayed out?

10 Elder

• 

44.3K Posts

May 24th, 2020 11:00

@Flashtimes  - If you have a 256 GB SSD installed in the M.2 NVMe slot, even if the OS isn't installed on that SSD, you don't and can't have Optane memory. So "Enable" should be grayed out for Optane.

You should clone your HDD with something like Macrium Reflect (free) and migrate everything over to the SSD. When you're sure PC boots from the SSD and your personal files are available, re-initialize the HDD with diskpart and move your personal files back onto the HDD. Then be sure to tell Windows to move its default folders to the HDD and configure all your installed apps to save their files on the HDD too.

No Events found!