Start a Conversation

Unsolved

S

1 Message

February 13th, 2019 02:00

XPS 8930, can't enable TPM, #2

Per this thread from October 2018, has anyone found a solution?

10 Elder

• 

44.3K Posts

February 13th, 2019 12:00

Maybe it depends on which CPU you have, Core i3, i5, i7...?? 

10 Elder

• 

44.3K Posts

February 13th, 2019 13:00

@Vic384 wrote:

Here is a list of Dell systems that support TPM. The XPS 8930 is not on it.

<ADMIN NOTE: Broken link has been removed from this post by Dell>

But it's odd that the XPS 8930 Service Manual says TPM is Enabled by default in BIOS setup... 

4 Operator

• 

3.2K Posts

February 13th, 2019 13:00

Here is a list of Dell systems that support TPM. The XPS 8930 is not on it.

<ADMIN NOTE: Broken link has been removed from this post by Dell>

4 Operator

• 

3.2K Posts

February 13th, 2019 14:00

Further research indicates that the XPS 8930 may have integrated TPM in its Z370 chipset. According to the tech. specs. of the Z370 it has Intel Platform Trust Technology (Intel PTT)  Intel PTT is "... a platform functionality for credential storage and key management used by Windows 8 and Windows 10. Intel PTT supports BitLocker* for hard drive encryption and supports all Microsoft requirements for firmware Trusted Platform Module (fTPM) 2.0."

I also found this (see below link). While it refers to the Latitude 7350 it may also apply to the XPS 8930. According to this article, Intel PTT is enabled by default which causes TPM security option to be disabled since both TPM and PTT cannot be enabled at the same time.

https://www.dell.com/support/article/us/en/19/sln302676/how-to-configure-the-trusted-platform-module-tpm-when-its-greyed-out-in-bios-on-a-latitude-7350?lang=en

9 Legend

• 

47K Posts

February 14th, 2019 06:00

• Uses Intel PTT (Platform Trust Technology) firmware based TPM
  • Only available with Windows 7 TPM 1.2
  • TPM 2.0  PTT is Windows 10.

Also depends on your country.

Not available outside USA and Canada.

iTPM or HW TPM is OEM optional not a standard feature.

https://ark.intel.com/

Trusted Platform Module (TPM 2.0) - TPM 2.0 is a microcontroller that stores keys, passwords, and digital certificates. A discrete TPM 2.0 also supports Intel® vPro™ Technology and Intel® Trusted Execution Technology (Intel® TXT).

Intel® Platform Trust Technology (Intel® PTT) - Intel® Platform Trust Technology (Intel® PTT) offers the capabilities of discrete TPM 2.0. Intel PTT is a platform functionality for credential storage and key management used by Windows 8* and Windows® 10. Intel PTT supports BitLocker* for hard drive encryption and supports all Microsoft requirements for firmware Trusted Platform Module (fTPM) 2.0.

Unknown Device Error in Device Manager When Using Windows 7
This error occurs when you enable the Intel® Platform Trust Technology option on the Security tab in BIOS.

Windows 7 and Windows Server 2008 R2 Service Pack 1 (KB976932)

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=5842

Windows 7 doesn't support this setting, so you can disable it in BIOS. Windows 8.1* and Windows® 10 do support this setting.

Windows 8.0 is end of Life End of Support.

1 Rookie

• 

16 Posts

June 25th, 2021 11:00

there is no option for PTT on my XPS8930

2 Posts

June 26th, 2021 12:00

I can find it under the security tab in BIOS but it says "Disabled" and is also greyed out

10 Elder

• 

44.3K Posts

June 26th, 2021 12:00

If Secure Boot is disabled in BIOS, you can't enable TPM.

And if Legacy Options ROM is enabled in BIOS, you can't enable Secure Boot. So you have to make some changes.

Note: If Legacy is enabled, and you disable it, Win 10 may no longer boot, especially if the OS was installed with Legacy enabled. So be sure to image the boot drive on external media before making any changes in BIOS.

That way if it won't boot, you can change the settings back to the way they were, and if it still won't boot, you can re-image the boot drive with all the BIOS options set to the way they were when you made the image.

16 Posts

June 26th, 2021 13:00

I am sort of in the same boat, I have a XPS 8900 and is trying to enable TPM so I can use it to store the password manager key. Here's my research so far.

So there are 2 kinds of TPM. The first is a discrete hardware tpm. This exists as a separate module either as an add on or soldered to the motherboard as a chip. These typically have names

There is also what is term firmware TPM, which uses the TPM built into the cpu. Intel version is call Intel PTT.

In both cases, if it's working, you should be able to type tpm.msc on the command line and it will show TPM 2.0.

Here's what I did so far:

1. Boot into XPS 8900 BIOS. Enable the PTT option under security.

2. Reboot the computer and open the device manager. I notice that it shows a TPS 2.0 module but it's disable due to errors. I have tried to install drivers, and update the BIOS, but in the case of XPS 8900, I am unable to get the device not to show error 10.

One possible issue is that I may need to switch from BIOS legacy boot to UEFI secure boot to get the TPM to appear. This is a drastic change. I may have to reinstall windows

16 Posts

June 26th, 2021 14:00

I notice this:

Dell computers tested for upgrade to Windows 11 | Dell US

Since XPS 8930 is listed, it probably means it has TPM 2.0. I am assuming that TPM 2.0 comes from the Intel PTT.

See the following link too:

Cannot Enable Trusted Platform Module (TPM) as option is greyed out in BIOS | Dell US

3 Posts

July 12th, 2021 11:00

Enable "secure boot" in the bios and save the change.  Reboot and the TPM option should no longer be greyed out and can be enabled.  This worked on my XPS 8920 se with i7-7700K.

1 Message

November 2nd, 2021 03:00

I have an XPS 8930 with Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-8700 CPU @ 3.20GHz 3.19 GHz, and I have these BIOS (version 1.1.18, latest at date of this post) settings:

• Legacy Option ROM: disabled
  • Secure Boot: enabled
  • Firmware TPM: enabled

Everything seems to be OK, but still, PC Health Check states that I have no TPM 2.0 required for Windows 11 upgrade. Also checked in management console (tpm.msc).

What can be the problem here?

10 Elder

• 

44.3K Posts

November 2nd, 2021 08:00

So if tpm.msc says TPM isn't available, you could try clearing BIOS. Reboot and tap F2 to open BIOS setup. When it opens, go to the exit screen and select option to reset BIOS to the defaults. Confirm the change and exit. When PC boots itself, see if TPM is available now...

No Events found!