Start a Conversation

Solved!

Go to Solution

February 17th, 2019 09:00

XPS 8930, can't seem to get headphones to work

Hello, I finally moved on from Inspiron, with xp, to an XPS 8930, with windows 10, Realtek audio. I can not seem to get my headphones to work, no matter if I have the audio speakers on or off. On my old Dell, it was just a matter of plugging in the headphones & they would work. Is there something else I am missing? Any suggestions? Thank you, in advance.

1 Rookie

• 

3.2K Posts

February 18th, 2019 12:00

Headphones should work if set to "Stereo" if your headphones are connected to the Front L/R surround line-out port (labelled #8 in the setup & specification manual) on the back panel of the computer or connected to the front panel headphone port.

As far as audio managers, I think most computers with basic audio capabilities only come with audio management integrated into Sound in Control Panel. Discrete audio cards and computers with more advanced audio capabilities usually have managers to handle the more advanced features.

1 Rookie

• 

3.2K Posts

February 17th, 2019 12:00

Go to Control Panel | Hardware and Sound | Sound and in the Playback tab, do you have Speaker/Headphones (Realtek Audio) set as the default device? Are you saying audio speakers work but headphones do not?

39 Posts

February 17th, 2019 14:00

Yes, Speaker/Headphones (Realtek Audio) is set as the default device.  My headphones do not work, at all. Whether I have my audio speakers turned on or off, there is no sound coming from the headphones.  I even tried a different set of headphones, in case something happened to the ones I have used in the past.  Same result.

192 Posts

February 17th, 2019 15:00

Not sure if the 8930 is the same, but I had a client with the same issue and I tracked it down to a setting in the Dell Audio App. Can't remember exactly what it was as it was a couple years ago. You can find the app and settings in control panel or from an icon in the system tray. HTH.

1 Rookie

• 

3.2K Posts

February 17th, 2019 15:00

Do you have audio speakers also? What happens if you disconnect your audio speakers and connect your headphones in its place? Also did you checked the settings in your Volume Mixer? Right click the speaker icon in the tray and select Open Volume Mixer. Also have you checked if Dell Audio is installed? Check in the Start Menu under Dell.

39 Posts

February 17th, 2019 16:00

Vic384 & 68cutlass, 

Yes, I do have audio speakers plugged in.  I tried plugging the headphones in place of the audio speakers & it did not work.  You both suggested I check "Dell Audio."   It doesn't appear to be installed.  I typed Dell Audio in the search box & nothing came up.  Maybe I should contact support, as this computer is less than a month old, still under warranty.  

10 Elder

• 

43.6K Posts

February 17th, 2019 17:00

Look for Realtek HD Audio Manager. See the post by JOcean in this thread that's marked as Solution in that thread and see if it helps you too::
https://www.dell.com/community/Inspiron/missing-Dell-audio/td-p/6202356

And do you have the latest RealTek audio driver?
https://www.dell.com/support/home/us/en/19/drivers/driversdetails?driverid=rxxvh&oscode=wt64a&productcode=xps-8930-desktop

:

1 Rookie

• 

3.2K Posts

February 17th, 2019 17:00

I have a XPS 8910 and Dell Audio appears in two places 1) Start Menu | Dell | Dell Audio and 2) Control Panel | Hardware and Sound | Dell Audio.

Did you also try the headphone/speaker port on the front of the computer?

39 Posts

February 18th, 2019 11:00

I found Realtek HD Audio Manager (thank you for the link), and updating drivers now.  So, as far as audio managers, do computers have one or the other, like Realtek or Dell, but not both?

I found that under speaker setup, it was set for "Quadraphonic."  I tried "Stereo" option but did not get sound.  I then tried "5.1 Surround" & sound came through my headphones.  It appears that sound can not come through both the speakers & headphones at the same time, unfortunately, but I am happy that I am now able to get sound through the headphones.

Thanks to all for taking the time to offer your suggestions and input.  Very much appreciated.

1 Message

July 7th, 2019 15:00

I am having problems too,   My ear phones work If I shut the computer off and re start.  then if I take them out of the front jack,   when I reinstall they do not work.   I then have to restart my computer to use.   I have tried all the updates,    and uninstalled and reinstalled.   Dell xps 8930

9.4K Posts

July 8th, 2019 05:00

Hi Lorace,

Thanks for posting.  Apologies that your system is not performing as expected.

Please restart your computer, while it's booting up press the F12 key.  Run the audio test.  Do you hear any beeps, check both speakers.  If nothing is heard, then let us know. 

If you still require assistance and the system is under warranty, you may contact me privately. Be sure to include your personal information (name, address, telephone, email) and your computer's service tag number in your message. Thanks.

If there is no warranty, then you could contact our Out of Warranty team to get a quote for a paid service request. 

1 Message

April 3rd, 2021 12:00

I couldn't either. But I have two audio connections. One in the back of the computer and one on top near the front. The front does not work but the back does. So, I added a split adapter to accommodate both jacks for headphone and main speakers. 

No Events found!