Start a Conversation

Solved!

Go to Solution

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

April 25th, 2020 09:00

XPS 8930, cannot boot to USB Flash

I made a Hirens Boot USB just in case I ever have to use it as a rescue. Like if I have to send in my computer Dell might wipe my drive. I will need the USB to boot to to get my info off. My system came from Dell set up as RAID and it came with Secure Boot enabled. 

8 Wizard

• 

17K Posts

April 25th, 2020 11:00

Well, first of all ... you do not need to use Hiren Boot. That is from a different time. I'm not even sure it is safe (it used to have bootleg-wares on it).

You can create a Recovery Drive (with system files) directly from Windows-10.

You can create a perfect Windows-10 Install USB-flash with Media Creation Tool at microsoft.com from a legit ISO.

You can create a Macrium Reflect Rescue flash drive.

With SecureBoot on, the above 3 "Microsoft blessed" items are about the only ones that are allowed to boot.

Just do those and stop. Test-boot them if you want.

To get anything else to boot, you will have to turn-off SecureBoot and possibly even drop back from UEFI-Mode to Legacy/BIOS-Mode (if even possible on your machine).

8 Wizard

• 

17K Posts

April 25th, 2020 13:00

This looks interesting, but I've never tried it:

https://fossbytes.com/enable-disable-secure-boot-windows-8-10/

More info:

https://www.howtogeek.com/116569/htg-explains-how-windows-8s-secure-boot-feature-works-what-it-means-for-linux/

For Windows 10 PCs, this is no longer mandatory. PC manufacturers can choose to enable Secure Boot and not give users a way to turn it off.

1 Rookie

• 

3.2K Posts

April 25th, 2020 10:00

Are you using the F12 Boot Menu to select the USB flash drive to boot from?

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

Yes I am and it does not show up. Flash drive shows in Windows so it is not dead. The Dell OS Boot Recovery does show up. But no other USB device show. 

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

I know I do not "need" to but I "want" to. That is the way I "want" to do it. I do not "want" Microsoft ISO. I use the Dell Recovery so I have all the Dell software I purchased. Hirens Boot is for sure safe It is a purchased version and has a Windows PE live rescue. And any other LIVE rescue does not work because like I said no USB work on F12 does not see the USB. 

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

April 25th, 2020 12:00

How long will sometime be? That's not a very good answer.

• 

25.1K Posts

April 25th, 2020 12:00

We will review your case and get back to you in sometime. ^KR 

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

I cannot believe Dell locks the BIOS where user cannot use a rescue disk. I paid over $1,500 for this system. I built my last system and now I am wishing I would have skipped buying this XPS and should have built another. 

8 Wizard

• 

17K Posts

I wonder what make and model you have ?

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

Tesla1856
7 Thorium

‎04-25-2020 01:10 PM
Re: Cannot boot to USB Flash

I wonder what make and model you have ?

=============================================================================

I have an XPS 8930

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

I tried disabling secure boot. But when I did my system would not show anything on the screen. I don't know if that had anything to do with it or not. But system went haywire. I had to remove the nVidia Graphics and use onboard I re enable secure boot. I put Graphics card back in and it is fine just will not boot to the Hirens USB. Someone mentioned Macrum Reflect. I have Acronis boot USB and it will detect that one and will boot to it also. I treid making another Hirens USB and still will not detect it on F12.

• 

25.1K Posts

Hi Tesla, we are sorry for the delay my colleague is looking at the case and he will reach out to you in few mins.^PC

8 Wizard

• 

17K Posts

April 25th, 2020 14:00

1. I tried disabling secure boot. But when I did my system would not show anything on the screen. I don't know if that had anything to do with it or not. But system went haywire. I had to remove the nVidia Graphics and use onboard I re enable secure boot. I put Graphics card back in and it is fine just will not boot to the Hirens USB.

2. Someone mentioned Macrum Reflect. I have Acronis boot USB and it will detect that one and will boot to it also. I tried making another Hirens USB and still will not detect it on F12.

--------------------------------

1. I tried to help you
a. warned you
b. reminded you it's all un-necessary

2. Yes, I switched from Acronis to Macrium Reflect years ago. But go ahead and use whatever you want.

You can use Macrium-Reflect-7 (Free) to create a Full System Image (with Verify After Creation Enabled) to external USB-HDD.

Create the Macrium Reflect Rescue Flash-drive (can be Win-PE or Win-RE). It can be used against "bare-metal" (blank system) and will boot (even in UEFI/SecureBoot mode) and re-Image system to it's exact state now.

Simple and done. Not sure what else you want.

8 Wizard

• 

17K Posts

April 25th, 2020 14:00

And to answer your PM ...

60c for a M.2/NVMe-SSD (being used a bootable C-Drive) is fine (ie, not "too hot") .

They do make thermal-pads and heatsinks for those SSDs if it worries you that much.

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

April 25th, 2020 15:00

OK I meant about the Secure Boot I did that before even posting on this forum. So disabling secure boot somehow disables the Graphics Card? 

No Events found!