Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

September 2nd, 2018 12:00

XPS 8930, cannot update BIOS 1.0.12 to 1.0.13

There may be something wrong with the current hosting of the 1.0.13 BIOS update file. I know it was released on August 9th but I only just now became aware of it. I can't install the 1.0.13 BIOS on my 1.0.12 system.  What happens is it runs and says it's loading the binary, but then immediately after that, instead of flashing the BIOS, it says the system is "Shutting down". The screen goes black but the PC never actually shuts down. The power light is still blue, even after 5 minutes. Forcing me to hold in the power button to really power off the system.  The system starts and I waited for the Windows logo screen and restarted from there to access the BIOS on the next boot.  BIOS is still 1.0.12.

I restored my PC to its factory default image in case it was something I had installed, a Windows Update gone bad, etc.  Same problem, even on a virgin factory default PC.

So, it seems the 1.0.13 update isn't working for me for whatever reason.  Since it's been a month since it's release, it's relatively safe to say it works for SOME.  So, one thing I have to wonder is if the file currently hosted on the update server is the problem.  I downloaded a 2nd copy of the BIOS update installer with Edge under the factory default restore, in case I got a corrupted downloaded somehow.  Still didn't work.

Thanks!

2 Posts

September 2nd, 2018 16:00

I got it to work.  While it probably wouldn't have been recommended, I discovered an option in the F12 boot menu for BIOS Flash Update.  I copied the downloaded executable BIOS update program to a flash drive, booted into the F12 menu, choose BIOS Flash Update, pointed it to the BIOS update executable, and gave it a try.  That worked.  It bumped my BIOS from 1.0.12 to 1.0.13.

No Events found!