Start a Conversation

Unsolved

G

41 Posts

April 8th, 2019 18:00

XPS 8930, concerned about heat issues

It's time for me to start preparing to replace the XPS8100 that I bought in 2010. I've been buying XPS desktops since 1998 but I'm concerned about the issues with heat in the 89XX cases that I've been reading about in this forum.

I probably would go with something like an I5\I7, NVIDIA GTX 1060 6GB (or comparable), 16GB RAM, 500GB SSD M.2 for OS and applications, 2TB HDD 7200 RPM spinner for data, and maybe a second 2TB HDD 5400 RPM spinner to back up that data. I keep my PCs 8+ years if they survive that long so I could see replacing the 2TB spinners with SSDs at some point as those come down in price.

I don't game or do anything with video. I do some photo post processing with large files. I make a fair amount of Macrium Reflect images and data backups and copies of those backups that keep the drives spinning for 45 minutes or so (but that's with my current XPS8100, I guess I could expect quicker imaging and backing up on a new rig, heh).

Should I be concerned about heat issues with this scenario? I don't want to have to mess with replacing fans, adding fans, sealing the case, or any similar things I've read in this forum.

Would I gain anything by going with the XPS SE instead of the regular XPS?

Thoughts?

Thanks!

732 Posts

April 8th, 2019 19:00

@ggeinec wrote:

It's time for me to start preparing to replace the XPS8100 that I bought in 2010. I've been buying XPS desktops since 1998 but I'm concerned about the issues with heat in the 89XX cases that I've been reading about in this forum.

I probably would go with something like an I5\I7, NVIDIA GTX 1060 6GB (or comparable), 16GB RAM, 500GB SSD M.2 for OS and applications, 2TB HDD 7200 RPM spinner for data, and maybe a second 2TB HDD 5400 RPM spinner to back up that data. I keep my PCs 8+ years if they survive that long so I could see replacing the 2TB spinners with SSDs at some point as those come down in price.

I don't game or do anything with video. I do some photo post processing with large files. I make a fair amount of Macrium Reflect images and data backups and copies of those backups that keep the drives spinning for 45 minutes or so (but that's with my current XPS8100, I guess I could expect quicker imaging and backing up on a new rig, heh).

Should I be concerned about heat issues with this scenario? I don't want to have to mess with replacing fans, adding fans, sealing the case, or any similar things I've read in this forum.

Thoughts?

Thanks!

I have an SE and the only difference is a better GPU that I can see. If you can't stand the heat I would stay out of the kitchen otherwise join the crowd and start adding fans, radiators, etc and cross your fingers. I still can't understand why a company like Dell would put a smaller outgoing fan in their latest model after tons complaints about jet plane fan noises in their previous model, it just boggles my mind.

732 Posts

April 12th, 2019 17:00

@RLP63 wrote:

I bought a XPS Special Edition (silver front) 8930 around Christmas of 2018 and I will never buy a Dell again. It looks good and works good for simple tasks but if you edit video or play high end games stay as far away as you can get. I am not exaggerating. I got the i7 9700k 9th generation CPU and the 1070 gpu with 32gb of ram and this **bleep** thing runs in the mid to high 90s c (100c is the limit) when playing some games. After 2 months of dealing with premier plus tech support they could not fix it and would not take it back or allow me to swap for an Alienware with water cooling. So I am stuck with a very expensive computer with hardware that can handle any game out there but a case that will fry my CPU even after adding fans and such :Angry:

At least add a 110mm fan like I did so it will run cooler. Not saying it will it will run at 90* F max when taxed and quietly like mine does. It's not that hard to do.

11 Posts

April 12th, 2019 17:00

I bought a XPS Special Edition (silver front) 8930 around Christmas of 2018 and I will never buy a Dell again. It looks good and works good for simple tasks but if you edit video or play high end games stay as far away as you can get. I am not exaggerating. I got the i7 9700k 9th generation CPU and the 1070 gpu with 32gb of ram and this **bleep** thing runs in the mid to high 90s c (100c is the limit) when playing some games. After 2 months of dealing with premier plus tech support they could not fix it and would not take it back or allow me to swap for an Alienware with water cooling. So I am stuck with a very expensive computer with hardware that can handle any game out there but a case that will fry my CPU even after adding fans and such :Angry:

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

April 14th, 2019 20:00

@ggeinec wrote:

Thoughts?

Thanks!

XPS 8930 Tower Special Edition
• Motherboard Chipset Intel Kaby Point Z370, Intel Coffee Lake-S
• 9th Generation Intel® Core™ i9-9900K 8-Core Processor (16M Cache, up to 5.0 GHz)
• 64GB, DDR4, 2666MHz Samsung
• 2TB M.2 PCIe NVMe SSD Toshiba
• nVIDIA® GeForce® GTX 1080 8GB GDDR5X: 3x DisplayPort 1.3 (1.4 Ready), HDMI 2.0, Dual Link DVI-D
• 802.11ac + Bluetooth 4.2, Dual Band 2.4&5 GHz, 1x1
• Windows 10 Pro 64bit English
• Microsoft® Office 2019 Professional
• 2 x Dell UltraSharp U2717D 27” InfinityEdge QHD Monitors

I added three 120 mm Noctua FLX fans and, while I was there, upgraded to an 850 watt Seasonic PSU. This is the first PC project I have ever done. While I was apprehensive, it turned out to be very easy and not expensive at all.

IMG_3825.JPG

19 Posts

April 14th, 2019 21:00

hi ggeinec

I have an 8930se, i7-9700k, 16g, 500ss/1Tspinner, gtx1070.

this thing is freakin fast, boots in 30sec.

cpu is 8 cores, rated at 3.6ghz, max 4.9ghz.

with overclocking disabled, intel still runs it up to 4.9ghz as needed which is fine and fast, but if demand maxes out all cores, the temps start hitting 100C, so the frequency drops off and the fan races to cool things down, (the fan thingy caught me by surprise), but hey, that's how it's setup.

(I use Core Temp 1.13 to monitor, a simple program)

generally just plinking, I'm in the 40/50 C range.

there is what looks like a liquid cooling unit on the cpu.

I'm going with the fact intel and dell are ok with this setup, time will tell.

if you are going to overclock, you may need better cooling, or, as discussed in other posts, you can limit the cpu frequency and kill the heat issue all together. I've had mine since the beginning of december and have had no issues and have made no changes.

this replaces my xps420 that died an honorable death.

732 Posts

April 14th, 2019 21:00

@Anonymous wrote:

@ggeinec wrote:

Thoughts?

Thanks!

XPS 8930 Tower Special Edition
• Motherboard Chipset Intel Kaby Point Z370, Intel Coffee Lake-S
• 9th Generation Intel® Core™ i9-9900K 8-Core Processor (16M Cache, up to 5.0 GHz)
• 64GB, DDR4, 2666MHz Samsung
• 2TB M.2 PCIe NVMe SSD Toshiba
• nVIDIA® GeForce® GTX 1080 8GB GDDR5X: 3x DisplayPort 1.3 (1.4 Ready), HDMI 2.0, Dual Link DVI-D
• 802.11ac + Bluetooth 4.2, Dual Band 2.4&5 GHz, 1x1
• Windows 10 Pro 64bit English
• Microsoft® Office 2019 Professional
• 2 x Dell UltraSharp U2717D 27” InfinityEdge QHD Monitors

I added three 120 mm Noctua FLX fans and, while I was there, upgraded to an 850 watt Seasonic PSU. This is the first PC project I have ever done. While I was apprehensive, it turned out to be very easy and not expensive at all.

IMG_3825.JPG

Those fans are cheap and easy to put in and the silver front model (SE) is not going to be any different, they basically just have a better GPU.

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

April 18th, 2019 08:00

@lingon wrote:

hi ggeinec

I have an 8930se, i7-9700k, 16g, 500ss/1Tspinner, gtx1070.

this thing is freakin fast, boots in 30sec.

cpu is 8 cores, rated at 3.6ghz, max 4.9ghz.

with overclocking disabled, intel still runs it up to 4.9ghz as needed which is fine and fast, but if demand maxes out all cores, the temps start hitting 100C, so the frequency drops off and the fan races to cool things down, (the fan thingy caught me by surprise), but hey, that's how it's setup.

(I use Core Temp 1.13 to monitor, a simple program)

generally just plinking, I'm in the 40/50 C range.

there is what looks like a liquid cooling unit on the cpu.

I'm going with the fact intel and dell are ok with this setup, time will tell.

if you are going to overclock, you may need better cooling, or, as discussed in other posts, you can limit the cpu frequency and kill the heat issue all together. I've had mine since the beginning of december and have had no issues and have made no changes.

this replaces my xps420 that died an honorable death.

There is no liquid cooling; just a heat sink/blower fan.

Boeing and the FAA were OK with the 737 Max setup. Time will tell. (whoops, it already has)

If you have the 92 mm top exhaust fan, consider being more proactive about a known design flaw, if you want your new XPS 8930 to also die an honorable death.

7 Posts

September 22nd, 2019 03:00

Are the two front fans intake and top fan exhaust? 

Did you need special wiring to power the 3 fans? 

I lay my tower on it's side, does that cause any concern?

I just ordered a scratch & dent 8930 with an 850w psu. 

2.5K Posts

September 22nd, 2019 05:00

well first is room temp,

72F or 96F,,   the latter is a problem.

why not buy it and test it first,

the CPU will run slow and make no heat, that is what all CPU do, they don't run full tilt until you game.

you  said no gaming, so no heat

unless that photo editing does, but why would it?  You never said movie editor or renderers.

I bet it does not run hot.   with any thing you do, (you said no gaming)

my Dells here use 25watts in windows, or with photo shop running.,(using iGPU only no CARD GPU)

if I add video card,  (vast exist) they can burn 250watt full tilt. but you said..,,,

"the GTX1060" but it uses only 120watts max,  way less just fiddling about in windows not gaming,

why not just buy the PC and run it,  run HWINFO32.ex for free, see what the temps are first.

why make PC sound like it's going into orbit , and no need. why worry lacking a real issue at all.?

yes gamers have a set of hard heat and noise related problems.  but you are not them.

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

September 22nd, 2019 08:00

@mikepfly2    Are the two front fans intake and top fan exhaust? 

Correct.

Did you need special wiring to power the 3 fans?

I powered the two front fans direct from the PSU with SATA to 3-pin fan splitter. You could also use a Molex to 3-pin fan splitter.

This is the thread I did on my fans and PSU (where the above photos are sourced)

XPS-Desktops/XPS-8930-SE-Exhaust-Fan-and-PSU-Upgrade 

I lay my tower on it's side, does that cause any concern?

I don't see any issues with that.

I just ordered a scratch & dent 8930 with an 850w psu. 

What system components did you choose? (CPU, graphics card, RAM, etc.)

If you did not get a "K" CPU, then you may not have the same CPU blower fan/heatsink as pictured above. Is the 850 watt PSU a Dell OEM, or did you order that elsewhere?

No Events found!