Start a Conversation

Unsolved

K

46 Posts

March 2nd, 2019 16:00

XPS 8930, constant freeze

Hi,

Brand new XPS Tower here, and ever since I got it it is suffering from random 4-10 seconds freeze.  Mouse won't move, no alt-tab, all is frozen, then it comes back. I already called Dell support line, only to be told the very helpful "reinstall windows"  Yeah, like it's fun to reinstall and reconfigure all your applications.. (to be fair, the lady had me run diags too before telling me to reset Windows, and then if that didn't solve the problem, it didn't, to reinstall windows)  Anyway, I reinstalled it, lost 8 hours of my life again setting stuff up once more, and the problem is still there.

So I tried to find out what component might be causing the freezing, but trying to diag something that gives no error message is though, but here is something I noticed:  Each time the computer freeze, there is a cpu spike at the same time AND a network(wi-fi) spike too.  The wifi is the onboard qualcomm wifi/bluetooth chip.

Is there any known problem with that chip? Or, anyone else has ideas of what might cause those random freezes?

798 Posts

October 21st, 2019 01:00

From the other thread:

Various fixes summarized from easiest to most time consuming.

1) If you have any of the Dell downloads from this prior 08/15/19 list, just remove them and related processes from your machine.  Just remove them period.  They are not necessary and would not be installed with a clean install which is a known solution.  Per @dustynz  Dell Support Assist Remediation Service appears to be an issue.  This service installs itself following the install of the Dell Update-Support Assist Update Plug in software and will update itself with later Dell updates.  Known issue with other Dell machines. (Sorry @John-Jay you have a reason to be upset)

2) Remove Killer Control Center and driver, restart the machine and let Windows 10 install the generic driver which should be the latest driver. 9.0.0.49.   Use the Killer Uninstaller software per this link per @whoareyou_2009  to remove all traces of the Killer software.

3) Remove Intel RST software per @Tesla1856 

4) Use the Windows Repair tool per @Ajwe  from this post

5) Clean install per @rjbards using latest W10 ISO for v1903 which will install the latest drivers. 

RAID or AHCI SATA Bios settings both are fine
No Dell drivers or Dell software.

Following the clean install, do not install:

Killer Control Center
Intel RST software
Any of the Dell Downloads from the previous list

Follow Philip Yips detailed instructions here on how to do the ISO clean install.  Use a USB stick and RUFUS and will work as intended.  

19 Posts

October 21st, 2019 12:00

I too stopped Dell SupportAssist Remediation in Task Manager, Services, and the freezes have been gone for a week.

I started them running again today and the freezes were back in several hours.

I have an 8930se, i7-9700k, which is about a year old, the freezes did not come with the computer but began last spring.

I have been following these threads all summer looking for a simple solution, I have not tried any of the others.

19 Posts

October 24th, 2019 17:00

I did not read through this whole thread so apologies if this has already been suggested or is not applicable.

I had frequent freezes as well, some times accompanied by a popup asking of I plugged in a new audio device.

I followed steps 1-4 outlined HanoverB, didn't seem to help.

I then changed the setting under Advanced Power Settings to turn off the hard disk after X minutes to 0 minutes (disabled). I noticed a hard disk noise/spin up whenever the freeze occurred. My OS is installed on an SSD but I have a secondary HDD. That seems to have finally resolved my issue, not sure why...

Just wanted to mention this in case it might help someone.

November 6th, 2019 07:00

@tse991 

Interesting because I believe disabling "turn off hard drive" also resolved issue in same way with my machine.

Curious as to what drive you have?  

Drive in question for me is HGST NAS 6 tb.   

Thanks

19 Posts

November 6th, 2019 18:00

My drive is a Seagate BarraCuda ST1000DM010 which came with my Dell.

Its weird because I had no freezes for a long time and then suddenly the freezes started occurring around the same time I noticed the thread's on this forum. But my issue ended up being a different root cause I guess.

Glad you got your issue resolved!

November 6th, 2019 19:00

Well, I don't believe in coincidence, and I think some subtle memory issue is going on in Windows kernel.

This has also resolved other issues for me. I occasionally had the audio reset that you experienced.  Alsomy graphics driver and nvme driver would occasionally reset.  Those are now completely resolved.

For now, I'm happy to be using the "fix", but I consider it more of a workaround.

After next major windows upgrade perhaps the issue will be properly resolved.. 

1 Message

November 20th, 2019 07:00

In other Forum issue was resolved 2 weeks ago with the following:

UPDATE: Probably RESOLVED:

I stopped the Dell Support Assist Remediation service and changed it to MANUAL start.

Haven't had a freeze up all day.

2 Posts

November 20th, 2019 08:00

I had the same problem on my XPS 8930 since I bought it in July, 2018. The problem resolved itself with a recent chipset driver update that I performed through SupportAssist. . 

10 Elder

• 

44.3K Posts

November 28th, 2019 12:00

Anybody done the BIOS update to the new version 1.1.10 which fixes a couple of security issues?

Any impact on the freezes or performance, otherwise?

1 Rookie

• 

403 Posts

November 28th, 2019 16:00

I did the update the day it came out. No problems so far. Haven't noticed any performance improvements.

December 5th, 2019 11:00

Using services.msc, changing Dell Support Assist Remediation service to Manual start completely cured the freezes.

31 Posts

December 19th, 2019 19:00

I deleted the Dell Support Assist Remediation service and I haven't had a freeze up in two weeks!

Wish I had known about this sooner.

December 25th, 2019 22:00

How do you change it to Manual Start?

Edit: Got it, per above, run services.msc and look for Dell Support Service Assist Remediation, double click, change the drop down from "Automatic" to "Manual" 

15 Posts

May 5th, 2020 22:00

Bumping this thread...

Hi, I recently bought an XP3 8930 from Costco.

I too am having these problems.  I uninstalled the Dell SupportAssist Remediation service.  I have confirmed it is no longer running.  I still get the freezes.  I'm looking at the Process Explorer app and it too freezes when it happens, but something about "Deferred System Calls" pops up when it unfreezes.

Ok...I have read 20 pages of this thread (there are 44 total) and I still don't know what the problem is.  It's all very confusing.  I've spend the last 2 hours reading this thread and I'm a little confused.

What can I do to stop these freezes?  Is there someone who can summarize everything?

It just froze again as I typed this.  ProcessExplorer was stuck at 49.3% on "Deferred Procedure Calls"

I will happily supply any relevant information in this regard.  Thanks!

-- Steve

10 Elder

• 

44.3K Posts

May 6th, 2020 11:00

@smgarcia   -  Have you also disabled Dell Update, Dell Digital Delivery, and Dell Customer Connect?

Are all your drivers up-to-date, especially video drivers?

Disable Internet Protocol version 6 in your network connections (Network and Internet>Network Connections>double-click Ethernet or WiFi (whichever you use) and click Properties

If you have it, Bonjour Service has been linked to high DPCs and it gets installed along with Apple iTunes, so disable it in Run>services.msc

Reboot in Safe Mode and see if the freezes continue. That will tell you if something loading during normal start-up is causing the problem.

No Events found!