Start a Conversation

Solved!

Go to Solution

March 30th, 2020 10:00

XPS 8930, ethernet card LEDs stay on after BIOS update

After doing a BIOS update yesterday on my XPS 8930 via Dell Update, the network card LEDs stay on after turning the computer off via hibernation. These indicators NEVER were on unless the computer was on or in sleep mode. Now it's on even when it's hibernated and it's never done this prior to the BIOS update. What could be wrong? Thank you!

10 Elder

• 

44.3K Posts

March 30th, 2020 14:00

@Vic384  is right.

BIOS 1.1.12 changed the Wake Up by Integrated LAN setting to ENABLED by default. So the card stays awake even in hibernation to listen for a wake packet.

Don't know why Dell changed this default setting, but you can disable it if the LEDs bother you and you don't want the PC to wake by LAN.

258 Posts

@Garfy2020 

What could be wrong?

Probably nothing.  The system board has some low power functionality that could include indicating the Ethernet link.  Same could be true for an add-in card.

When my XPS 8930 sleeps, the Ethernet link drops from 1000 MBbps to 100 Mbps as indicated on my router.  It does not completely disconnect.

GK

9 Legend

• 

47K Posts

if you have cable installed this is normal.  if there is no cable its not normal.

4 Operator

• 

3.2K Posts

Check your Wake Up by Integrated LAN setting in the BIOS, perhaps that is enabled.

8 Posts

April 2nd, 2020 21:00

Thanks very much for your help. I decided to check the BIOS settings the next day and it was as you surmised, the Wake on LAN was indeed enabled. After disabling it, the network card is no longer powered up when I hibernate the PC. I kind of hate it when they change settings from what it was originally during the update. Previous BIOS updates didn't affect that so I guess they thought it was a good thing. Anyway, it's solved now so thanks for confirming the cause.

10 Elder

• 

44.3K Posts

April 3rd, 2020 12:00

@Garfy2020  - Glad that helped... 

I queried my Dell tech contact asking why they changed BIOS 1.1.12 to have Wake on LAN enabled (and deep sleep disabled) by default now.  Seems an odd thing to have done, especially since the XPS 8930 has been around for a while.

Haven't gotten a response...   

No Events found!