Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

NM

1 Rookie

• 

101 Posts

August 12th, 2018 13:00

XPS 8930, fan speed issues, solved

On my Dell XPS 8930, I recently noticed the internal fan speed going off the charts during a game. This was a game I'd played several times previously and I'd never before heard the fan behave in this way. Today, I encountered the problem again when converting a video using Handbrake. Within two or three seconds (before the CPU could possibly have heated up), the fan started blowing like a jet engine. I remembered that I'd updated the BIOS recently, so I re-installed the previous BIOS, and the problem appears to be fixed. I converted a video - and the fan sped up just enough to cool the CPU, no jet engine simulations.

Here are the details:
BIOS version causing fan problems: 1.0.12 Released on July 24, 2018
BIOS version not causing fan problems: 1.0.11 Released on June 21, 2018

=========

Here's the catch, other than messing up the internal fan, I don't know what Dell changed in BIOS 1.0.12. It's possible that it contains critical fixes. Or, maybe it does nothing other than mess up the fan. No idea. I have been unable to find anything resembling a changelog. Perhaps someone else might share. Dell doesn't recommend returning to an earlier BIOS version, but I successfully did it, and I seems to have fixed the fan. When 1.0.13 is released, I don't plan to install it unless I have a backup copy of 1.0.11, just in case.

=========

To retrieve an older BIOS file:
Go to the Dell Support site and select your computer
Click "Drivers & Downloads"
Under "Category," specify BIOS
You will see only the current BIOS listed. Click the small triangle to the left of your BIOS name for more options
Click "Older Versions." and you'll find links to older BIOS files

3 Posts

October 8th, 2018 04:00

Same problem 

XPS 8930 Tower PC.

Just Curious if anyone has experience with this :

Currently at BIOS 1.0.12 after reinstall ; before having v 13.
DELL support notification of a " critical bios " update was available .

After install of bios 13 I noticed a performance degradation while playing a online game called Agario .
After reverting back to 12, i noticed the game would run smoother . Possibly .
I've since given that game up ; I don't play it anymore .
The fan was audibly louder which I interpreted as either the PC under stress, or that my PC was already at high temps before the bios update ; so in effect the bios 13 sped the fan to compensate ? Why was the fan not running that fast at bios 12 ? And there is that little issue of possible performance degradation Noticed when playing that online game. ( stuttering freezing frames etc ).

Having since reverting back to bios 12, things seem to run smooth . But recently checked PC temperatures, and seems to be on the high end 90+ degrees Fahrenheit . Is this normal ?

I would prefer the fan speeds were running faster, if that meant cooling the CPU etc.
Noise is NOT an issue. I prefer noise and a higher running fan, rather than a hot computer.

Is there any way to increase fan speed without the bios 13 update ?
What is the connection between the fan running faster ; and the PC running slower after bios 13 update ?

Currently I'm back to bios 12. I could not find enough information about what bios 13 does to performance , so
I'm hesitant to try it again .
I would like to make the fan spin faster though to dissipate the heat readings I'm seeing .

One more note, when bios 13 was installed, and the fan was running fast/loud i did feel a lot more heat coming off it. The ambient temperatures in my room were not high as its a small air conditioned room. Noise is not a problem, again much prefer more cooling, and dont care about noise . 

No Events found!