Start a Conversation

Unsolved

K

46 Posts

February 15th, 2020 18:00

XPS 8930, freeze at Dell logo after soft reboot

So, about 6-8 weeks ago, my Dell 8930 started having a small annoying problem.  Upon a soft reboot(like Windows Update reboot, or rebooting after an install or uninstall of a software) it would freeze at the Dell logo.  Hitting the power button to close it and restart it make the boot sequence successful.   Since I do not reboot the computer often, I wasn't sure if this was a random thing that would go away or a real problem.   Well, now I know,I received the latest Windows 10 update that had 3 reboots, all of them froze at the screen.  Further testing by doing manual reboot confirmed it, it always get stuck at the Dell screen.  But if I do a shutdown, and then power up the computer, it boot normally then.

I ran the BIOS hardware test, the SupportAssist   Scan Hardware, all came back OK.

I updated what required updating, still happening.  Actually, I didn't update the BIOS to 1.1.10 simply because it cannot update since it freeze every time it tries to reboot to do the update....!

Any idea on how to diagnose this further?   I can supply the service tag if required.

P.S. To whomever at Dell, please pass-on my ultimate dislike of these forums login process.  Reason is, when you type a big message and forget to login, it asks you to do so when you hit POST, but you completely loose your message in the process, ARGH!

• 

25.7K Posts

February 15th, 2020 19:00

Hi,

Prajwal here from Dell community.

I understand that you're having issues with the soft boot on the system.

The issue here could be with the system running on outdated BIOS.

I would like to know certain details to isolate the issue.

Have you checked how long the system freezes on the Dell logo?

Have you encountered any errors when the system freezes?

Do you have any external devices connected to the system?

Have you observed the system to freeze while using it?

Also, try running a hardware diagnostics to check if there are any hardware failures.

You can follow the steps in the link below :

https://dell.to/2OZdXPb

Please get back to me with your observations.

I'll be glad to assist you further.

Prajwal

8 Wizard

• 

17K Posts

February 15th, 2020 19:00

@kinwolf wrote:

1. please pass-on my ultimate dislike of these forums login process.  Reason is, when you type a big message and forget to login, it asks you to do so when you hit POST, but you completely loose your message in the process, ARGH!

2. Upon a soft reboot(like Windows Update reboot, or rebooting after an install or uninstall of a software) it would freeze at the Dell logo. 

1. Better to ALWAYS login first. 

2. Sounds like your Windows is corrupt (possibly due to a hardware problem, but maybe not).

Try turning off "Fast Startup". That should help with normal reboots, but not sure about things like major Windows Upgrades or BIOS updates.

Just turning off Windows with power-button is very bad and can further corrupt your Windows.

46 Posts

February 16th, 2020 07:00

1- BIOS:  Running 1.1.8, and the system ran fine with it.  The current problem appeared many weeks(months? couldn't say for sure) after the BIOS update, so I don't think it's the culprit.

2- The system seems to freeze forever.  I once left it there all night, no change.

3-The freeze is before windows startup, so no error on screen or in the even log.

4- External devices connected?  IS there a single PC out there that doesn't have keyboard, mouse, speakers and monitor connected?   But there wasn't any hardware change recently if that's the question.

5- System freeze upon a reboot only

6- As mentioned, that was already done.  No problem detected.

EDIT:  Edited the BIOS version, I made a typo at first.

46 Posts

February 16th, 2020 07:00

1- *sigh*  I do not want to sound snippy, but... Useless advice, even more so that when you click in the email link that mention you have a reply, it always bring you to the thread not logged in, so the first reflex you have is to start replying..  They must have the shortest cookie time ever set up.  They need to fix it so it become customer friendly, but it's not the main issue here so that's the last mention I make of this in this thread.

2- I just ran sfc /scannow to verify if it might be a corruption in Windows file and the result was negative.  "

"Windows Resource Protection did not find any integrity violations."

3- No change with the Fast Setup turned off, it still freeze at the Dell logo when I ask the computer to reboot.

4-  I never said that I did hard reset while inside windows(I never do) The hard reset are only done at the Dell screen when it's frozen and nothing else work.

4 Operator

• 

3.2K Posts

February 16th, 2020 09:00

I would have also suggested turning off Fast Startup but since that did not work also try turning off hibernation. At a Command Prompt (Admin), type "powercfg.exe /hibernate off"

46 Posts

February 16th, 2020 13:00

Alot of testing shows that turning off secure boot remove the problem.  Not a long term solution, but it might help diagnosing the problem.  Found this old thread with the same problem too(without a long term solution though) issues-with-secure-boot-causing-win-10-restart-to-hang 

4 Operator

• 

3.2K Posts

February 16th, 2020 13:00

10 Elder

• 

44.4K Posts

February 17th, 2020 15:00

Do you have an add-in video card or just onboard Intel UHD Graphics? If you have an add-in video card, is the monitor connected to the card and not to the onboard HDMI or DP ports?

What ports are available on your video card (assuming...) and what ports are available on the monitor?

How is the PC connected to the monitor now? Are you using an adapter, eg HDMI(PC)>DVI(monitor)?

Can you try a different pair of ports? Eg, if using HDMI(PC)>HDMI(monitor) now, can you try DP(PC)>DP(monitor)?

NOTE: If you have an add-in card, only use the ports on the card, not either of the onboard UHD ports, to try the port swap.

And yes, it's very annoying that we lose a post if we type it before logging in. They fixed this issue a while back, but it has recently re-appeared. They are aware and supposed to fix it, again...

1 Rookie

• 

11 Posts

May 16th, 2020 13:00

Did you ever get a resolution to this? I've also been having the same symptoms. Not often, I have tended to ignore it and move on. But it happened again today. Event viewer shows a problem with the HDMI connection. Which is to an AMD - Radeon adapter.  Took a quick look at my AMD configuration, and it said my settings do not match the driver. So - I'm trying that out now.  Unfortunately this problem does NOT happen "on demand" - so I won't know if this fixes anything, until sometime in the future when it happens again. Also  note - there was a BIOS update in April.

10 Elder

• 

44.4K Posts

May 16th, 2020 18:00

@kirk_geoff  - Do you have the latest AMD video driver installed?

1 Rookie

• 

11 Posts

May 16th, 2020 19:00

I do, now. As I said, the problem does not occur due to any situation I have yet identified, so there is no way for me to test the driver makes any difference - other than wait a few weeks and see if it re-occurs.  I am not looking to deep dive on my case at this time - I was only asking if the original post had an answer already.

July 6th, 2020 23:00

4CB04BEB-0718-497D-A1AA-C45E7B3CC1B7.jpeg

F3944728-9E14-4149-86C0-665722AA4313.jpeg

My Dell 8930 Tower is also freezing up on the Odell logo. The Windows OS spinner stops and freezes up - non responsive - this after both hard and soft shutdowns now. Ran the system diagnostic from the Setup Menu and it reported everything is 100% functional and working properly. 

1 Message

July 21st, 2020 07:00

Since I bought my Dell XPS 8930 It has had trouble booting. I have turned off fast start, ran numerous diagnostics provided by Dell and updated all drivers and the BIOS. I am currently running BIOS Version 1.1.13, 2020-02-20.
Recently I did the Windows 10 2004 update and my system is worse. I am completely frustrated with this computer. It is the first time I have had so much trouble with a Dell product.

10 Elder

• 

44.4K Posts

July 21st, 2020 11:00

@dougo57  - For starters, reboot and tap F2 when you see the prompt at lower right of the Dell splash screen to open BIOS setup.

Make sure Boot Option #1 is the UEFI: Windows Boot Manager, and not onboard NIC IPv4 or IPv6.

Be sure to save the change, if any, before exiting BIOS setup.

boot.jpg

1 Message

September 9th, 2020 06:00

Was this problem ever resolved?

My new XPS 8930 did the Blue screen last night and on reboot, froze at the logo.

Four and a half hours with tech 'support' and they think they are going to replace the SSD. The computer is now a $2,000 paperweight, can't use at all.

No Events found!