Start a Conversation

Solved!

Go to Solution

July 30th, 2019 11:00

XPS 8930, freezes for 3-5 seconds

I also have an XPS 8930 purchased on May 1 2019 that is freezing in the same way (mouse pointer and keyboard freezes for 3-5 seconds once every hour or so). There is nothing in the event log. It has done this since it was purchased. I was hoping there would be a software fix by now.

March 3rd, 2020 13:00

Try setting power options to never turn hard drive off

and/or

If you feel confident with doing so …. and If not using RAID in your system

Replace Intel RST driver with Microsoft's Standard SATA AHCI Controller

45 Posts

March 3rd, 2020 14:00

Thanks for the reply.

And hang on... I never told you to uncheck a box "to allow the device to wake..." I said to to uncheck the box to "Allow PC to turn off...". That's a big difference!

I actually misspoke here.  Both of those boxes are unchecked for all the devices with HID in their names under Human Interface Drivers and Universal Serial Bus controllers.  I don't remember if I actually unchecked any of the boxes for "allow device to wake...".  For most of the devices this is grayed out.  For the others it is not grayed out, but it is unchecked.  Do you know if I should check the ones that are not checked and are not grayed out?

Did you uninstall SupportAssist Remediation Service and what about Dell Update?

Yes

Have you looked at your active Power plan's settings and disabled these?
Hibernation
Hybrid Sleep
USB Selective Suspend
PCI Express Link State Power Management

These are all off

What other unnecessary "stuff" is running in the background?

I'm not sure what constitutes "unnecessary".  I have security software and Google Drive etc.  What would be "unnecessary"?

Thanks,
Bill

45 Posts

March 3rd, 2020 14:00

Thanks for the reply.

Try setting power options to never turn hard drive off

It is already off

If you feel confident with doing so …. and If not using RAID in your system

Replace Intel RST driver with Microsoft's Standard SATA AHCI Controller

I'm not sure I'm comfortable doing this.

Thanks
Bill

10 Elder

• 

43.6K Posts

March 3rd, 2020 16:00

I would check the wake box for things you want to be able wake the PC, like mouse, keyboard...

Unnecessary: Any updater that runs in the background and phones home whenever it wants, eg Acrobat Reader Updater, printer managers, iTune helper and iTune (Apple) Updater, Logitech Download Assistant, etc.  You can look on the Startup tab in Task Manager to get an idea of what's running behind the scenes. Just don't disable things like Windows Update, video card control panel, or your anti-malware app.

45 Posts

March 3rd, 2020 22:00

Thanks for the reply.

The only unnecessary thing I found was iTunes Helper and I disabled that.

Do you have any other ideas on what may be causing my problem or what to try in order to eliminate it?

Thanks
Bill

10 Elder

• 

43.6K Posts

March 4th, 2020 11:00

@bilhen- More details: CPU, RAM, video card, SSD and/or HDD...?

Reboot and immediately press F12 and look for the option to run diagnostics. Run all of them including RAM and hard drive tests. Note any error messages. This can take a while so be patient.

Run your test sequence and if the delay persists, open the Windows Event Viewer and look for any errors at the time you tested for the delay.

Open the Update & Security screen and see if any updates are pending. I see 2 are pending for my XPS 8930 with Win 10 v1909 today, KB4537572 and an optional KB4535996. There have been issues with some prior  recent updates, so install these and see if things improve, doing the same sequence you mentioned above.

Also click the History link on the Update & Security page and see if any updates failed.

You can reboot in Safe Mode and try the same sequence again. If the delay isn't there in Safe Mode, something loading during normal boot may be the issue.

You can also try this:
Search for CMD and right-click and "run as administrator". At the CMD prompt type in:
DISM.exe /Online /Cleanup-image /Restorehealth (include the spaces!) and press Enter. When that's done, note any errors.

Assuming no DISM errors, back at the CMD prompt, type in: sfc /scannow (include the space) and press Enter. You'll get a prompt saying sfc can't run now, so accept the offer to run it at next boot, and then reboot. sfc will run before Win 10 loads. Be patient. Note if sfc reported any errors.

Again assuming no errors, re-test your sequence and see if the delay persists...

45 Posts

March 4th, 2020 13:00

removed duplicate posting

45 Posts

March 4th, 2020 13:00

Ron, thanks for the reply.

More details: CPU, RAM, video card, SSD and/or HDD...?

Intel i7-8700 @ 3.20 GHz; 64 GB RAM; Win 10 Pro 64-Bit 1909 build 18363; BIOS 1.1.10; 2 TB HD; 256 GB SSD

Reboot and immediately press F12 and look for the option to run diagnostics. Run all of them including RAM and hard drive tests. Note any error messages. This can take a while so be patient.

I tried this, but it just went in to my Windows desktop as usual.  

Run your test sequence and if the delay persists, open the Windows Event Viewer and look for any errors at the time you tested for the delay.

Unfortunately I don't have a test sequence.  I can not make this happen at will.  Sometimes it happens several times in a day and sometimes it goes as long as a week or more before it happens again.

Open the Update & Security screen and see if any updates are pending.

I have not updates pending.

Also click the History link on the Update & Security page and see if any updates failed.

No updates have failed.

You can reboot in Safe Mode and try the same sequence again. If the delay isn't there in Safe Mode, something loading during normal boot may be the issue.

Because I can't make this happen at will this isn't really an option.  I can't go that long in Safe Mode.

You can also try this:
Search for CMD and right-click and "run as administrator". At the CMD prompt type in:
DISM.exe /Online /Cleanup-image /Restorehealth (include the spaces!) and press Enter. When that's done, note any errors.

No errors.

Assuming no DISM errors, back at the CMD prompt, type in: sfc /scannow (include the space) and press Enter. You'll get a prompt saying sfc can't run now, so accept the offer to run it at next boot, and then reboot. sfc will run before Win 10 loads. Be patient. Note if sfc reported any errors.

No errors.

Thanks,
Bill

10 Elder

• 

43.6K Posts

March 4th, 2020 16:00

@bilhen  - Well that post appeared.  Don't know why you're having problems, but some of us have seen some other "quirks" today.

Edit your last post and put in the info you wanted to share...

45 Posts

I tried that and this is error appeared.

This reply was marked as spam and has been removed. If you believe this is an error, submit an abuse report.

And it deleted my post that I was editing!

Bill

10 Elder

• 

43.6K Posts

I'll ping my forum contact to have your account checked....

45 Posts

March 4th, 2020 17:00

45 Posts

This is a test.  Can I reply to this thread?

EDIT: 

This one worked so I tried another and it disappeared. 

I am editing this reply to see if that will work.   have no idea what is going on, but I can't seem to reply to your suggestions.

45 Posts

258 Posts

March 5th, 2020 08:00

No worries... it's lousy forum software.

GK

No Events found!