Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

C

June 6th, 2018 17:00

XPS 8930, memory configuration matrix

Hi,

Just wish to confirm that the only possible configuration for the 8930 are 8, 16, 24, 32 and 64GB.

Hence mixing up 8gb on DIMM 1 and DIMM 3 with 16GB on DIMM 2 and DIMM 4 would not be successful and would render the machine unable to boot.

Thank you in advance for your feedback.

32 Posts

September 8th, 2019 20:00

No confusion about the DIMM slots.  Tried white, white (1,2) and black, black (3,4).  Modules were not identical, but all info down to the chips used were the same.  Only way I've found to get them to work was in DIMM slots 1, 3 -  single channel.   Also ran Dell's ePSA diagnostic, no errors found, even on the extended memory test. 

On the idea of the modules being identical, I ordered a second new Timetec SK Hynix 8 GB module - identical in every detail and tried installing them tonight in white, white (1,2) and black, black (3,4) - same result, computer won't boot - 4 flashed Amber from power button (reseat memory or bad memory)  Timetec's site says this is the correct memory for the Dell XPS 8930.  Matches Crucial.com analysis of my system.

Am returning Timetec modules and have ordered a pair of 8 GB modules directly from Crucial. Photos attached of Timetec modules, their boxes, and original memory module.  Thanks!Original 8GB SK Hynix module.jpgTimeTec Module boxes.jpgFront matched pair Timetec SK Hynix 8GB modules.jpgBack matched pair 8GB Timetec SK Hynix Modules.jpg

32 Posts

September 8th, 2019 20:00

I've since checked a matched pair of 8GB Timetec SK Hynix modules in white,white (1,2) and black, black (3,4). Same 4 flashes of Amber on power button.  Also checked each with the original SK Hynix 8gb module in white,white (1,2) and black, black (3,4) in both orders for each (old, new#1), (new #1, old), (old, new#2), and (new#2, old).  Both new modules work together, or with the old module when inserted in DIMM slots 1,3 (white, black) - single channel.

Ordered matched set of 8 GB modules directly from Crucial after they analyzed my system.  Will post results.   Thanks!

4 Operator

• 

3.2K Posts

September 9th, 2019 04:00

@DE54  I don't know if I missed it or if you didn't say, but what was the original memory configuration of your XPS 8930? I am guessing that it was 8GB in slot DIMM1 and you are upgrading it to 16GB. Is that correct?

10 Elder

• 

44.4K Posts

September 9th, 2019 10:00

Bum motherboard..?

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

September 9th, 2019 11:00

@RoHe   Bum motherboard..?

That's what I thought. The Crucial RAM on order should give a difinative answer.

32 Posts

September 9th, 2019 15:00

Should the computer be able to boot up with a single memory module installed in ANY of the 4 DIMM slots?  I know I've ran ePSA with no errors, and white, white (DIMM 1,2) and black, black (DIMM 3,4) dual channel does not work.  DIMM 1,3 (white, black) works on single channel.  I don't think I've tried DIMM slot 2 or DIMM slot 4 by itself or the DIMM 2,4 (white, black) combination.

Anything in BIOS that can be altered to cause it to NOT allow dual channel? or not see DIMM 2 or DIMM 4?  Clutching at straws here...  Thanks to everyone for your suggestions!

10 Elder

• 

44.4K Posts

September 9th, 2019 16:00

It's not unheard of to be able to post with an single RAM module installed in any one slot. That's typically how you'd find out if you have a bad motherboard slot. And it won't hurt to try booting with a single known-working module in one slot at a time.

You could also try reinstalling the Intel chipset drivers...

4 Operator

• 

3.2K Posts

@DE54  There is no setting in the BIOS that can change the single/dual channel behavior; that behavior is a direct result of the wiring of the memory slots.

You didn't answer my question about the original memory configuration of your computer, the configuration delivered by Dell.

I don't know whether or not the computer will boot up with a single memory module in slots DIMM2, DIMM3, or DIMM4, but the computer will boot up with a single memory module in slot DIMM1. Back on 9/6/19, you said you tested each 8GB module alone in DIMM1 so I hope you had shut down and powered off the computer when you did that. If you did then obviously it will boot up with a single module in DIMM1. Also my Dell came with a single memory module in DIMM1 so obviously that works.

32 Posts

While I'm waiting on the Crucial modules to show up, it's currently running with a single known good 8gb module, the one it came with, in DIMM slot #1.  So, I should be able to shift it to #2, #3, or #4 to try and isolate a bad DIMM slot (i.e. bad motherboard). 

Could the Intel chipset drivers be corrupted and causing DIMM #2 and/or DIMM #4 not to be read/ mapped?  Exactly how do I go about reinstalling the Intel chipset drivers?

Thanks!

10 Elder

• 

44.4K Posts

September 9th, 2019 17:00

Go<ADMIN NOTE: Broken link has been removed from this post by Dell> and download the latest Intel chipset to your desktop. Double-click the downloaded file and let it install. Reboot when done.

Then go here and download/install the latest Intel Management Engine driver and reboot again.

With the matched pair of RAM modules installed see if CPU-z reports dual channel now...

32 Posts

September 9th, 2019 18:00

Original memory configuration out of the box was a single 8GB SK Hynix module in DIMM #1 slot.  I've tried every module (3) in DIMM #1 so far, and each works fine, and yes, I did shut down and disconnect everything when I switched modules. They also work in any combination in DIMM slots #1, 3 to give me 16GB, single channel.  Should have new Crucial modules, 2 x 8GB, by tomorrow evening.

32 Posts

Your first link to Intel Chipset Drivers is not working.   I assume it's the one listed for my Service Tag:

Intel Chipset Device Software Driver

Version 10.1.18019.8144, A08

Release date
30 Jul 2019

File Name: Intel-Chipset-Device-Software-Driver_9NNTR_WIN_10.1.18019.8144_A08_01.EXE

4 Operator

• 

3.2K Posts

@DE54  Thanks for answering my question. That is what I thought, that your computer came with a single memory module (by the way not a configuration in the Dell memory configuration matrix). I think what is happening is that when you tried to match it and installed both modules (Dell original & Timetec) in white slots it did not work because they are not compatible in dual channel mode hence you had to install them in white and black slots so they would operate in single channel mode. As for the two Timetec modules not working in dual channel, sometimes even the same exact models, if not tested together in a kit, there is a chance they may not work together. Hopefully the Crucial memory will work.

32 Posts

September 11th, 2019 15:00

Currently have the new Crucial 16 GB kit in DIMM 1,3 (white, black) @ 16 GB, single channel, since that's the best this motherboard can do.

32 Posts

September 11th, 2019 15:00

Reinstalled Intel Chipset drivers and  Intel Management Engine drivers.

Crucial 16 GB kitCrucial 16 GB kit

Installed 16 GB (2 x 8GB) Crucial kit this afternoon.  DIMM slot 1,2 (white, white) - power button, 4 Amber flashes.  DIMM slot 3,4 (black ,black) - power button, 4 Amber flashes.  DIMM slots 2,4 (white, black) - power button, 4 Amber flashes.  DIMM slot 2 only (white) - power button, 4 Amber flashes.  DIMM slot 4 only (black) - power button, 4 Amber flashes.  DIMM slots 1,3 (white, black) - Boots! - 16 GB, single channel.  Bad Motherboard!  Nothing reading in DIMM 2 or DIMM 4. 

Anyone know how to initiate a Dell warranty repair??  Thanks!

No Events found!