Start a Conversation

Unsolved

Y

6 Posts

December 20th, 2019 00:00

XPS 8930, new machine problems

I've been using a nine year old Windows 7 Pro machine with added hd and memory. It's been working fine, but I decided to get a new XPS 8930.

When I ordered it, est delivery time was five days. I called five days later and they had not idea when it would even ship. Rep awkwardly said "due to a delay from the manufacturer". I finally got it a few days later.

I thought since it has a graphics card rather than integrated on motherboard, there would be no problem. At least there would be better performance.

This machine seemed very fast for a few days. Now it's slow as molasses and graphics are extremely slow to catch up sometimes. I cleared browser cache, cookies, etc. Ran Windows Malicious Software Removal Tool, and checked the resident Windows Security.

I thought One Drive was causing it so unlinked and closed it. That may have been part of it.

Seems like a lot of ad related things show up at lower left of screen - handshaking with akamai, waiting for atwola, ads for this ads for that. But they aren't always present when the machine stagnates.

I never really had problems like this on any previous machine, including my last one, and others going back to Windows 3.1.

Any suggestions?

9 Legend

• 

33.3K Posts

December 20th, 2019 03:00

Sounds like malware, to me.  

Download and run Malwarebytes, as a start.

https://www.malwarebytes.com/

4 Operator

• 

3.2K Posts

December 20th, 2019 05:00

You should do as fireberd suggested and check for malware. 

What CPU, how much memory, and type of disk drive do you have? You could also check Task Manager or download and install Processor Explorer (sysinternals.com) to see what processes are consuming CPU, memory, disk, and network resources. 

9 Legend

• 

33.3K Posts

December 20th, 2019 13:00

Along with sysinternals that Vic mentioned, Resplendence Latency Mon may also help.

Latency Mon is primarily aimed at audio handling but it can also help with other system issues.

10 Elder

• 

44.3K Posts

December 20th, 2019 15:00

Do you have all the latest drivers for the XPS 8930? There have been a bunch of them recently, including a BIOS update.

Do you have an update "pending" either via Windows Update, Dell SupportAssist or Dell Update that needs to be installed and/or is waiting for a reboot?

No Events found!