Start a Conversation

Unsolved

J

9 Posts

October 14th, 2018 03:00

XPS 8930, no start, amber blinking power LED

My one week old XPS 8930 seems to have died. It's worked fine since I got it, and I updated the BIOS early on, as advised by the built in Dell software. I got a brief blue screen a couple of days ago but it was OK after that (I think it mentioned memory).

Then when I came to turn it on yesterday it simply would not boot. No life at all other than the power button with a single amber blink, and I can hear a fan turning (very quiet, pulses on and off - at the top of the case).

I've looked at the manual and various trouble-shooting guides but nothing has changed. The hardware is all as supplied, nothing extra.

So, I just wanted to ask whether there is anything else I should check before I phone Dell in the morning? Thanks in advance for any advice - I'm at a complete loss, as this has never happened to me with a computer before.

9 Legend

• 

33.3K Posts

October 14th, 2018 03:00

Blinking power light generally is a power supply problem.  Since its new call Dell support.  Only Dell support can handle any warranty problems.

10 Elder

• 

44.3K Posts

October 14th, 2018 17:00

According to the XPS 8930 Service Manual, a single amber flash of the power button means:
System board: BIOS and ROM failure

Contact Dell Tech Support ASAP and have your Service Tag handy...

9 Posts

October 15th, 2018 14:00

Thank you ... service engineer bringing new parts tomorrow. Fingers crossed he/she will be able to fix it.

9 Posts

November 3rd, 2018 13:00

So my new XPS 8930 was pronounced dead by the Dell engineer. No idea what happened but it could not be fixed. I have since received a brand new replacement under the swap system. New one works perfectly and only took a week to arrive as a new build. My question is what to do with the original ‘dead’ computer. When the new one was delivered there was no expectation of taking the old one away. I’ve not been contacted since. Any ideas? Should I just dispose of the old one? Thank you for any advice!

10 Elder

• 

44.3K Posts

November 3rd, 2018 14:00

Glad the new one is working. :Yes:

Dell typically includes a pre-paid return label when they exchange a system under warranty. Double-check the paperwork in case you overlooked it. And usually you pack the old one up in the box the new one came in and send it back.

Even if they didn't send you a return label, don't dispose of the original PC. Contact Dell Tech Support and explain the situation and tell them you need a pre-paid return label.

9 Posts

November 4th, 2018 02:00

Thank you - I didn’t get any paperwork at all, I’ll email them today 👍

1 Rookie

• 

513 Posts

November 13th, 2020 08:00

@florinRS 

Is your hard drive SSD M.2 Or a spinning drive? Either way you will need some type of Dock to connect your drive through USB and you can get your documents off.

2 Posts

Thank you!

2 Posts

Hello,

Unfortunately I had the same problem this morning!:( 

First my monitor started to flickering and after that the PC was dead.

Now only the power button is flickering...

At the end, what did you do with the old one?

I have a lot o personal documents in my HDD and I don't want to lose them.

Thank you,

Have a great day!

10 Elder

• 

44.3K Posts

November 13th, 2020 10:00

@florinRS  -

Always include the exact PC model in your posts.

Did you recently install a BIOS update or some other update(s)?

If the power button is blinking, count the blinks to get the error code. If this is an XPS 8930, you can look up the error code on pages 96-97 in the XPS 8930 Service Manual . Different Dell PC models typically have different error codes and that's why the exact PC model number is important.

No Events found!